Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingDingle22)
    MARYCHRIST

What you do is write it in normal paragraphs and when you have finished draw a sketched lay-out presentation of how you want it to look. Put in any pictures you want to include etc. You don't have to draw them! stick 'em in or label them it doesn't matter! ie. draw a box a write in it 'Picture from Text E here', or, 'picture of beach'

Doesn't have to be neat really, just clear, you can even label your paragraphs like: 1, 2, 3 and draw boxes and write 'Para 3 here'...

hope that helps, any questions I'll try and answer!
    thank you(!) one last thing tho; should the sketched out layout be about A4 size or does it not matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I think the date is good, if I'm honest. My English teacher said she reckons the Ibiza written task might be to write an article for a music magazine or something like that, and the Grace Darling spoken task perhaps an transcript for an audio headset thing like you get in museums.
    Eh? Teahcers aren't allowed to discuss anything about the data with students...

:s

I agree with the comment about the Grace Darling pack being more accessible. Maybe the possibilities are more narrow, but that has benefits too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marychrist)
    thank you(!) one last thing tho; should the sketched out layout be about A4 size or does it not matter?

I don't think it materes at all. Layout diagrams aren't compulsory, but if you do one, make sure it's clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    I don't think it materes at all. Layout diagrams aren't compulsory, but if you do one, make sure it's clear.
    if layout diagrams aren't compulsory, how else are you supposed to indicate your desired layout, etc? notes in margins/commentary?

ReputationRep:
    I think that a museum tape might well come up. but this might be difficult, as, if you read the texts, there are only two rooms in the museum, (east and west) and we arent given enough detail on the actual 'things' in the museum to talk about them,

any other suggestions? what other question spotting work have you lot done?

ReputationRep:
    It might be a new memorial, or radio 4 program, "famous women," or "moments in whatever centuary" I did one about Tianamen sq for that.

Ibiza, I'm still thinking the internet because there are loads of web pages in the book, otherwise something in the style of rough guide "theres more to ibiza than clubbing" type of thing because there is a bias towards things other than "ibiza uncovered"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachaelmarie)
    It might be a new memorial, or radio 4 program, "famous women," or "moments in whatever centuary" I did one about Tianamen sq for that.

Ibiza, I'm still thinking the internet because there are loads of web pages in the book, otherwise something in the style of rough guide "theres more to ibiza than clubbing" type of thing because there is a bias towards things other than "ibiza uncovered"
    I did the Tiananmen Sqaure Radio 4 practice about, hmmm, 5 weeks ago now. I found it solid, I have to say. Got a B for it, but then that wasn't really due to my input because "Psycho Moose" was talking to me like I was an idiot and didn't give me much of a role. *****. :bike:

I agree with you that the Ibiza one could be an article for an internet site, perhaps we wwill be asked to break it down into chunks for different web pages. Like: music, cultural heritage, food etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and no way ever am I doing a spoken text. I think they're hard, if I'm honest.

One thing I'm worried about is knowing whether you're well below or above the 1000 words. How can you tell?!?!! I wrote 4 pages of A4 and did a double-page layout for a practice I did (a magazine article based on regional foods of the UK for a British Airways in-flight mag) - and my teacher said it seemed the right word amount.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and no way ever am I doing a spoken text. I think they're hard, if I'm honest.

One thing I'm worried about is knowing whether you're well below or above the 1000 words. How can you tell?!?!! I wrote 4 pages of A4 and did a double-page layout for a practice I did (a magazine article based on regional foods of the UK for a British Airways in-flight mag) - and my teacher said it seemed the right word amount.
    Count as you go along? write a para and count? although usually if you're used to your own writing you know how many words you fit on one side.

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher when we were doing practice was about 4 pages, then about a page, for commentary, plus layout which won't have a lot of writing on.

I did the Tiananmen Sqaure Radio 4 practice about, hmmm, 5 weeks ago now. I found it solid, I have to say. Got a B for it, but then that wasn't really due to my input (we did it in groups).

I agree with you that the Ibiza one could be an article for an internet site, perhaps we wwill be asked to break it down into chunks for different web pages. Like: music, cultural heritage, food etc etc.

I'm just doing the first reading as in A2 English for AQA B, what would the purpose be for the biographical texts in Set 2 Grace Darling and can anyone think of a specific audicance.

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher when we were doing practice was about 4 pages, then about a page, for commentary, plus layout which won't have a lot of writing on.
    cheers, that's really helpful.

my class never actually did a practice or mock editorial writing paper, nor any real practice for the lang change/acquistion paper, so I'm getting a bit worried now

ReputationRep:
    we didn't either. I've never done a change paper. but thats to worry about next weekend. have you started looking at the texts yet?

ReputationRep:
    Did you all do well in English Lang AS?

ReputationRep:
    I've just gone over the texts today (it took me hours!) and I like the Grace Darling one much more - it seems much more accessible. The Ibiza set is really dull I think. It seems to me that the Darling set is angling towards attitudes regarding women or something along those lines..there are so many extracts praising her for being 'angelic' and 'bravery surpassing any other woman' and so on, and then that text putting the story in the context of the new Victorian era.

But I have a hunch that the Ibiza one will have nicer questions - an article or a travel guide or maybe a brochure. I think the Darling one will have the spoken question and maybe a children's wall display or something like that.

I'm really worried about this paper cos I've never done an editorial task properly under timed conditions. :eek: In the mock I went on the aqa site and looked up the questions as soon as we got given the data set, so I had it planned before I went in... :p:

Does anyone know if you get more marks for cutting out maps and pictures and stuff and sticking them on your page as you write? Or is it ok to just say 'pic from Text B' etc? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    You can just say 'pic from Text B', saves a lot of time, plus my cutting and sticking skills aren't great! lol

As for the possible questions on the Ibiza data set, I don't think they will give us a question on websites due to the fact that there are already several websites there, which lends itself to purely copying.... I could be wrong and a question could come up to write another kind of webpage.... I'll be concentrating mainly on the Grace Darling data i think.... looks to be the one that lends itself to the most obvious questions with data that I can see will be useful for possible questions, unlike the Ibiza one.

I've been lucky enough to do a few mock type Editorial tasks, and I didn't see a large difference in my marks between written and spoken.. mini dramas tend to be fairly simple spoken tasks, although I would prefer a written text. The all important tone in this exam is harder to achieve in a spoken text I think.

Have people been gathering together reference materials such as travel guides/leaflets/articles?? I was planning to, but this data is going to take ages to go through I'm not sure it will be all that useful t this stage?

ReputationRep:
    Did you all do well in English Lang AS?
    yeah I got a really comfortable A, I think my module marks were something like 85/90 (coursework), 98/105 (introduction to language, or whatever it's called) and 93/105 (social contexts). I'm just terrified I'll mess it all up by doing terribly in these exams, and I have no idea what I got for my language investigation either.

ReputationRep:
    we didn't either. I've never done a change paper. but thats to worry about next weekend. have you started looking at the texts yet?
    not yet, I'll start looking tomorrow, as I've been frantically revising for my media A2 exams which I've got tomorrow afternoon.

the next two weeks are going to be disgustingly stressful, I've got media tomorrow, english on friday, then english and two lots of politics exams the week after, and I feel like I don't know any of it

ReputationRep:
    I got 264/300 at AS- 84/105, 75/90, 105/105

My Language Investigation was 55/60, but that's to be 'stretched' or whatever they do at the exam board, to give me a mark out of 90.....

Need an A so fingers crossed for Friday and Monday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marychrist)
    if layout diagrams aren't compulsory, how else are you supposed to indicate your desired layout, etc? notes in margins/commentary?

It depends, I suppose, on how important a layout it to your piece...

Diagrams might end up being the easier option, but not if they're messy.

A short description as a not to the editor would do fine, and in some cases, be a bit clearer.

ReputationRep:
    Arrrrrgh, i need to start reading this!

How are you lot analysing them? grouping the texts? highlighting different content/discourse?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.