Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was four marks off an A at AS

I prefer spoken texts. I hate faffing about with graphological details on a written text. I feel they take too long considering they're not actually all that important. Also, of the past papers I've done, I've got the best mark (a good A) with the radio text I did. Mind you, it was the Glastonbury paper from last year (sat on the Friday of Glasto weekend. AQA, that's just mean), and I got right into it because it interests me.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone can offer any help with the editorial writing i'd really appreciate it, it's my worst section of the exam!! :-(

ReputationRep:
    The most important things to remember are:

1. tone (relating to audience- extremely important to focus your attention on this throughout!)

2. content- select carefully from the case material

3. genre of the piece- and the literary conventions that go with that, for example headings and pictures in a magazine article

4. word count? i have been told that the examiners will not approve of too many or too little words!

5. commentary- comment on what you have achieved with your piece on the day, as opposed to explaining what you wrote. keep an open mind about your commentary before the exam...

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone treating the Ibiza data set? I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to sort it all out into groups because they all seem to overlap in one way or another??!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm about half way through the Ibiza set, not even touched the Grace Darling set yet. The Ibiza data is incredibly dull and repetitive, right now I'm just summarising paragraphs, then I'll look for common themes and group them with highlighters.

I'm really unsure about this exam now. We haven't done that much practise, and the teacher wasn't exactly clear about everything, such as how we should use layout in our pieces. One minute he's saying keep it simple and annotate, then he's talking about bringing felt-tips into the exam room. I find the idea of cutting and pasting in a hot exam room sickening and a waste of time, I'd much rather annotate.

ReputationRep:
    "The Ibiza data is incredibly dull and repetitive"

- Grace Darling is worse than the Ibiza one for that! (IMO)

ReputationRep:
    At least with the Grace Darling data its easier to see a common theme running through, and how the data could be put together in another piece....

We're all bound to have differing opinions though!

ReputationRep:
    Right, i'm gonna start reading tonight or tomorrow! What are you guys actually analysing/annotating/grouping? What groups have you so far?

I dont really know where to start haha

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone!!
    my first impression was also to chuck the grace darling one, but having skimmed through them both, i think i'll stick with it! just to clear things up because my teacher hasn't a clue... is one of them definitely a spoken text and the other a written text?

this is a busy week for me and i only have thursday to run through it all! i think ill group similar texts (similar in terms of audience/context/purpose/genre/tone etc), make sure i get my facts straight and just hope for the best!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll just be hoping for the best too, I really don't have a clue what I'm doing. I didn't even realise until Friday that we were meant to have two sets of data booklets. I'm really dreading Friday now - it clashes with my history exam, too, which means I'll be locked away in a stuffy classroom somewhere with Grace Darling and Ibiza.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karen_o)
    hey everyone!!
    my first impression was also to chuck the grace darling one, but having skimmed through them both, i think i'll stick with it! just to clear things up because my teacher hasn't a clue... is one of them definitely a spoken text and the other a written text?

this is a busy week for me and i only have thursday to run through it all! i think ill group similar texts (similar in terms of audience/context/purpose/genre/tone etc), make sure i get my facts straight and just hope for the best!
    You get two questions for each data set and usually one question of the four is a spoken text.

I wouldn't touch a spoken text with a bargepole...I just hope there's a nice simple magazine article option!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and if anyone hasn't seen many past papers there's loads here along with markschemes on the AQA site - could be useful!

ReputationRep:
    The Grace Darling booklet is making my head scream. I quite enjoyed the Ibiza one, but I does make me feel like going clubbing. Which isn't really helpful in the middle of exams..

Ibiza: Travel guide, comment on the cost of tourisms, writing a guide for tourists with a more specific target (clubbers, families, birdwatchers..), radio program.

Grace Darling: Screams "Audioguide" at me. Educational CD-rom/booklet aimed at children?

Back to highlighting.

ReputationRep:
    hey doesn anyone think there is a strong theme of 'change' regarding the ibiza one??? i.e. how its change over time?state of the island now? just a thaught! it also would be really usefull if anyone could attach past paper answers they have done (pref spoken ones e.g. radio4) because ive never done one and wouldnt kno where to start or what there looking for? this would be really helpful! also anything they have drafted up on the two packs. ill do some typing then post them if anyone thinks this will be helpful?? the more ideas the better??

ReputationRep:
    What kind of common themes is everyone highlighting? I started doing wildlife then got into a debate with myself whether I should include environment with it. And if the environmental schemes should be included with that. I guess I've been in the sun too long, I need a break..

ReputationRep:
    Seems like theres a strong feminist theme in the grace darling one, I'm going for a mini-analysis of each piece then just hoping for the best! Is everyone definately preparing both booklets?

ReputationRep:
    I am, I think I'll regret it if I don't, and the question on the GD book (haven't looked at it yet) will be easier for me. Even if it's not, I'll convince myself it is and should have prepared that one.

ReputationRep:
    In January when I did the exam I read over both sets of material; I didn't really like either! The Noah's Ark one wasnt my thing, and so I did Q3 on the Panama Canal. Still got a D; but I blame it on the crap question! (but anyway!)

I'm re-sitting, but & this June's topics are much better & definitely more interesting! I'm concentraing on the Ibiza one, cos at least that's something I know about & have at least SOME interest in! Dunno who Grace Darling even is! Best bet is to pick the topic that interests you most & concentrate on that... at least that way you really go into some depth with it.

I also prefer the Ibiza set as it lends itself more to the sort of texts I like writing... not into writing dialogue or Radio broadcasts which the Grace Darling set lends itself to.

Ah well, we'll see if it pays off!

Adam

ReputationRep:
    i think i'm going to concentrate on the grace darling one, all the pieces seem to fit together whereas the ibiza one is too broad. as long as i can avoid spoken language it won't be too bad (?!)

ReputationRep:
    Me and a friend were going through it, and the Ibiza one has to be something about change to the island, so more of a cultural trip than just clubbing.

So we came up with travel guides and websites. We also came up with maybe a CD rom thing, like you get for certain holidays or maybe with a paper.

I think its def. going to be at the more serious end of the scale.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.