Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    They often have a "writing for children" question too, I believe. I can't see Ibiza fitting into that, but I can see a Grace Darling piece being orientated towards it. I try to avoid those, general audience writing has far less traps to fall in to.

ReputationRep:
    Why on the editoral pre-release does it say PM. I'm going to the hospital in the afternoon. This exam is defiantly in the morning isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    I think maybe PM stands for something else. My timetable says it's for the morning, but I'll probably be taking it in the afternoon 'cause it clashes with my history paper.

ReputationRep:
    I've rearanged the order of the texts into groups and split some of them up(i'm doing Ibiza, concentrate on one in detail is the advice from last years group). Does anyone think this is a bad idea. My groups are; wildlife, clubbing, the countryside, culture and history, general. I definately think that the Ibiza one could be on change over time.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I agree, but I think you need to get all of the ideas in, because you need to use a min of 60% of the texts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dangerousdanp)
    I've rearanged the order of the texts into groups and split some of them up(i'm doing Ibiza, concentrate on one in detail is the advice from last years group). Does anyone think this is a bad idea. My groups are; wildlife, clubbing, the countryside, culture and history, general. I definately think that the Ibiza one could be on change over time.
    Those are near enough the groups I've just sorted out. I've also got economy, North vs. South (the whole quiet/clubbing thing), but I'm not sure if to include that in general and economy in with culture and history. I don't want to go over 7 groups.

ReputationRep:
    yeah agree on the groupings! wat are peoples groups for grace darling?

ReputationRep:
    Having had 2 exams yesterday i'm only doing one of the pre relese (ibiza sounds better, the other set looks a bit feminist to me!) but in loads of detail, i.e synopses of each paragraph, grouping texts. Bit of a risk but detailed prep is essential in this exam (In Jan i didn't prepare at all and gat an E, bit unfair i thought! Also advice to anyone, take a good 20 mins to prepare at begining as structure is so important, also try to creat consistant tone. Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utu7)
    I think maybe PM stands for something else. My timetable says it's for the morning, but I'll probably be taking it in the afternoon 'cause it clashes with my history paper.

It stands for Pre-Release Material.

I guess it's because the front page has a similar format to exam paper's, so it avoids confusion.

I've been concentrating on Grace Darling, and I think there are a lot less groups to be made from it. I'm now summarising each text on the Ibiza pack.

Hm. Good luck all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dangerousdanp)
    Having had 2 exams yesterday i'm only doing one of the pre relese (ibiza sounds better, the other set looks a bit feminist to me!)
    It's not feminist, it says in one of the texts that she wasn't a feminist at all...although I agree with you from the point that I like the other set better!

Also, I think the Ibiza questions will be either a travel article or website for non-clubbers, and an article for a music magazine about changing music in ibiza/decline of.

ReputationRep:
    in wat groups can the grace darling one be put in?

i cant think of any definitive ones, may be something like facts, fiction, feminism ...

this is haaard..

ReputationRep:
    I'm concentrating on just Ibiza too. I've got another exam tomorrow, the revision notes of which I haven't touched yet. And above all it's too ****ing hot! From what I skimmed of the GD booklet it's boring anyway. That poem/song looks too much for me to handle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenni_Kitten)
    It's not feminist, it says in one of the texts that she wasn't a feminist at all...although I agree with you from the point that I like the other set better!

Also, I think the Ibiza questions will be either a travel article or website for non-clubbers, and an article for a music magazine about changing music in ibiza/decline of.
    I was wondering whether to make the change in music one of the main groupings, but I put it in with the change of Ibiza in general (one of the reasons why it's losing visitors). Not sure if I should change that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Adam_)
    Here's a question I've just drafted for the "Ibiza" set:

A broadsheet newspaper is beginning a series of articles about several well- known and popular tourist destinations. The theme of the articles is “The cost of tourism”.

Each article will give a brief glimpse into the background of the country, its highlights and most notable attractions, and the problems it faces.

Use the material provided to write a newspaper article that will both inform and educate the general intelligent reader.

Write about 1000 words.

Give a brief indication of your layout…. [you know the rest!]

Adam
    Could be. I would not be shocked if aomething on environmental vs tourism comes up. Thank good, it looks like they won't be asking us to write for a auiance of 10 year olds in this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utu7)
    I was wondering whether to make the change in music one of the main groupings, but I put it in with the change of Ibiza in general (one of the reasons why it's losing visitors). Not sure if I should change that.
    I have way too many groups, but it's how I work lol.

Holiday Info.
    Location Info.
    Attractions
    Natural Environment
    Tourism
    Art & Architecture
    People
    Politics
    Entertainment/Nightlife/Clubbing (could be grouped with Attractions probably)
    Problems/Decline
    History/Roots
    Culture (inc. food & drink)

ReputationRep:
    have you lot split the texts up? or kept all the pages of a text together?

ReputationRep:
    I have way too many groups, but it's how I work lol.

Holiday Info.
    Location Info.
    Attractions
    Natural Environment
    Tourism
    Art & Architecture
    People
    Politics
    Entertainment/Nightlife/Clubbing (could be grouped with Attractions probably)
    Problems/Decline
    History/Roots
    Culture (inc. food & drink
    Mines like that but some would obviously go all in the same on, eg history culture politics if it was something towards the serious end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erk)
    have you lot split the texts up? or kept all the pages of a text together?
    I split quite a few texts up, it means you are less likely to draw to much from one text.

ReputationRep:
    Basically I've used a thick black pen and actually sectioned some of the texts up. On a text that links to another, I've put, for example: **Link with TEXT E**.

I've done a grid, which I've drawn on the back of the front cover.
    Along the top I've put texts A-Q (or whatever it is) and down the side:

Purpose
    Audience
    Genre
    Summary
    Tone
    Date

It makes it much easier when you need to find texts that have a similar tenor.

REMEMBER

You need to capture the flavour of a speaking voice, whilst being careful not to destroy clarity or becoming too patronising in tone. You must establish a rapport with the reader. When I go into the exam and decide which task I'm going to do, I'm going to spend a few minutes thinking about precisely what tone I want to write it from. Tone is where I've slipped up in my practices.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a good idea. I think its important to remember how long the exam is. Plan properly. Don't start writing straight away.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.