Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So pre-prepared tables are definitely permissible?

ReputationRep:
    A good plan is imperative!! The examiner will immediately look favourably on your paper if you start with a definitive plan..

I'm going to do the Grace Darling question, and kind of roughly rearranged the texts into the following order/groups-

Details of events
    History of lighthouses on the Farne Isles
    Grace- modesty/upbringing/appearance/family
    Victorian celebrity- adulation and commemoration after the event- museum information
    Wordsworth's poem and the Grace Darling Song

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domjohn)
    A good plan is imperative!! The examiner will immediately look favourably on your paper if you start with a definitive plan..

I'm going to do the Grace Darling question, and kind of roughly rearranged the texts into the following order/groups-

Details of events
    History of lighthouses on the Farne Isles
    Grace- modesty/upbringing/appearance/family
    Victorian celebrity- adulation and commemoration after the event- museum information
    Wordsworth's poem and the Grace Darling Song
    I'm focusing on Grace Darling, too. Prefer it by far. Not sure if you were responding to me (if you were, thank you!) but was more specifically wondering whether or not drawing tables out on pre-release material is okay, or should you just write in bold at the top to make links instead? Tables would help me far more, but on the front of the pre-release instructions, it's a bit vague with "brief annotations".

ReputationRep:
    I won't be using tables, basically because of time constraints this evening and they'll just complicate things....

I spoke to my teacher about annotations etc. on the pre-release, and she said not to worry about it... as long as your data isn't completely covered in notes... which would be counter-productive anyway!

What kinds of connections have you made between the texts so far?

ReputationRep:
    I won't be using tables, basically because of time constraints this evening and they'll just complicate things....

I spoke to my teacher about annotations etc. on the pre-release, and she said not to worry about it... as long as your data isn't completely covered in notes... which would be counter-productive anyway!

What kinds of connections have you made between the texts so far?
    Thank you! Also have to prepare for History, but am hoping to work efficiently for the remainder of the evening.

I've been looking through and picking out phrases that I believe would make for good headlines. In addition to this, picking out quotable quotes from newspapers/the song/the poem. Made a focus on the chronology of the events - picking out texts. The biographical side does seem important, as does the impact afterwards. I was thinking that the details of why the ship crashed and the public enquiry might be useful, too...Looking for "interesting facts" which might be useful to draw in the reader and perhaps frame sections, too.

ReputationRep:
    "interesting facts" sounds like a good idea.... I'm going to have a quick go over the texts again in a bit, I'm a bit Grace Darling-ed out at the moment!!

I've also picked out quotes from the biographers/song/personal accounts and I'm praying for some kind of spoken text.. although the general layout of the material will be the same regarless of what the purpose is... simply because there's a limited frame to work within from the texts... unlike the Ibiza set which could be a countless number of things! The maps and pictures would be useful for a museum guide/presentation....

ReputationRep:
    i read through my grace darling booklet today and i have a feeling we may be asked to write a tabloid newspaper article about the shipwreck and the rescue. all the stuff about her being a celebrity and that kind of thing, it just seems to all fit! could just be wishful thinking as that would be pretty easy!

ReputationRep:
    "interesting facts" sounds like a good idea.... I'm going to have a quick go over the texts again in a bit, I'm a bit Grace Darling-ed out at the moment!!

I've also picked out quotes from the biographers/song/personal accounts and I'm praying for some kind of spoken text.. although the general layout of the material will be the same regarless of what the purpose is... simply because there's a limited frame to work within from the texts... unlike the Ibiza set which could be a countless number of things! The maps and pictures would be useful for a museum guide/presentation....
    Agree with the spoken text idea - would love museum guide or something like Radio tribute. Although do think something to do with children would also make sense.

Agree with Ibiza comment, too! Prefer Grace Darling by far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karen_o)
    i read through my grace darling booklet today and i have a feeling we may be asked to write a tabloid newspaper article about the shipwreck and the rescue. all the stuff about her being a celebrity and that kind of thing, it just seems to all fit! could just be wishful thinking as that would be pretty easy!
    Hmm...hadn't thought of that in regards to the Grace Darling piece...I guess anything's possible! Not experienced with this sort of exam and we're the first year going through it at my school, but I would have thought that G.D. lends itself to more commemorative questions in a museum/educational sense. But I know nothing! I'll be eating my hat tomorrow if tabloid comes up

ReputationRep:
    In our piece, can we lift a line from one of the sources without re-wording, provided it is already in the correct context/audience group? Both teachers seem to tell me different things. One said it's okay to take complete sentences so long as you justify why, the other said avoid copying and pasting at all costs. Can anyone clear this up?

I'm also a bit confused to what we're supposed to write in our commentaries. Obviously I know we're meant to write what we did and why, but do we include where we sourced the information from?

Also, another potential grouping I'm thinking of listing is the Formentra comparison, there's quite a few references to the differences between the two islands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utu7)
    In our piece, can we lift a line from one of the sources without re-wording, provided it is already in the correct context/audience group? Both teachers seem to tell me different things. One said it's okay to take complete sentences so long as you justify why, the other said avoid copying and pasting at all costs. Can anyone clear this up?

I'm also a bit confused to what we're supposed to write in our commentaries. Obviously I know we're meant to write what we did and why, but do we include where we sourced the information from?

Also, another potential grouping I'm thinking of listing is the Formentra comparison, there's quite a few references to the differences between the two islands.
    I think, perhaps, with something like Grace Darling, if you lifted lines from the song or the poem, you might be justified in not altering them. If something is said in a particularly apt way and you really, really think that's how it would be said, I guess it's okay. However, the skills the examiners seem to be looking for are your ability to edit a text and write it in a different way, due to the audience being different. If you're doing the copy and paste technique a lot, the examiner might not think you've tackled the task sufficiently. If it's only every now and then, it might not even seem that obvious, as to know the exact wording for the entire document would be a mammoth task. However, if you can justify it, I don't see what's so wrong.

Earlier in this post there are recommended approaches to commentaries. Briefly: did you address the task at hand? What tone did you use and why? Audience? Context? Language frameworks and how used etc. Recommended time to spend on it is around 15 mins, or at any cost, I think there's a 150-200 word limit.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of the data will be difficult to lift into another text and still fit the tone, so it is best to use the general theme, including individual details from the original text, and fit them into the new text in such a way that it fits the purpose and tone.... I would advise against simply copying and pasting, because it will not fit!

As for listing where the extracts/information came from, you won't need to point the examiner to the source, as it is obvious that it came from the data, which they should be familiar with, seeing as they are marking the exam! Fiona87's post is pretty much spot on about commentaary... to my knowledge!

ReputationRep:
    Just to add you can use a table on your pre-release. I checked today.

Good luck everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Can we write a very brief summary of each text on the back of the page?

ReputationRep:
    yes, or you can do it by paragraph

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info.

I'm slightly worried by the amount of summarising I've done now. It looks one big mess, and I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to write that much.

ReputationRep:
    Do we definitely get the choice of two questions per set of data??

ReputationRep:
    Just been on the AQA website..... yes we do get two questions per data set!

ReputationRep:
    so you are pretty much ok only preparing in any detail one set then really...?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't bothered with a table, although I might do yet. I've mixed the texts up into broad groups, which I've labelled at the front. For Ibiza it's something like: clubbing/package holiday kind of tourism; environment, ecology stuff; backpacker, off the beaten track, cultural tourism; demise of clubbing, change. Grace bloody Darling is: life; fame, praise and myth; literature; the rescue; and death. It makes sense to me They all overlap and stuff, of course, which is where pretty coloured pens and shapes come in handy. They're both good sets of material, although I'm tempted to go for Ibiza. Prepared both because, you never know, the questions on the one you've preaped could be horrible, whereas the others would have been perfect. Oh so cheerful. I've just been sort of...going through them, looking at info and how each text is...I dunno! Anyway, good luck!

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.