Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really hope so 'cause I'm doing the same. I'll be devestated if the Grace one is something I could clinch a good mark with and the Ibiza options less so.

ReputationRep:
    But if you do one set in enough detail, and are comfortable with a broad-ish range of purposes, you should be ok....?! *prays*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomcharlotte)
    Seems like theres a strong feminist theme in the grace darling one, I'm going for a mini-analysis of each piece then just hoping for the best! Is everyone definately preparing both booklets?
    Feminist?! I'd say half of it was sexist – oh, darling little meek Grace, being such a good little girl, rowing on behalf of God, while all the women stood screaming on the rock louder than everyone else. Ahem, sorry.

I think I know what you mean, maybe – supposedly 'strong' women? It definitely does all show social attitudes, the amazement of everyone that woman could do anything heroic and useful! My my!

ReputationRep:
    Domjohn – yeah, probably. Don't panic!

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me about text and K in the Grace Darling set- who wrote it? is she having a dream?...

hmmm... im confused abt that text..

also, on the tombstones in text N, the first says she died at 25 yrs old, and the other says 26yrs... which do we pick??

Lastly, im very confused abt how to judge whether any of the texts are authentic or not.. and their reliability.. wat do i need to look for so tht i can decdide?

thanx in advance,

*confused*

ReputationRep:
    Argh I need help on the commentary...

I can't find any notes about how to write it, and I want to do a good one cos its such an easy way to pick up a few extra marks.

Does anyone know what you're supposed to write in it? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gringalet)
    Feminist?! I'd say half of it was sexist – oh, darling little meek Grace, being such a good little girl, rowing on behalf of God, while all the women stood screaming on the rock louder than everyone else. Ahem, sorry.

I think I know what you mean, maybe – supposedly 'strong' women? It definitely does all show social attitudes, the amazement of everyone that woman could do anything heroic and useful! My my!
    I felt sick reading such drivvel. Also the excessive description of her chin. That's when I decided I was sticking to the island of pine.

ReputationRep:
    Text K is, as I read it, Grace dying. It's from some novel called 'Grace', as far as I can tell from what they've given us. She's like hallucinating, worrying over some money deal (you find out she apparently did it for money, is guilty, lots of Macbeth-esque washing blood imagery, niiicee), then she keeps coughing up blood – romantic consumption, sees her mother who's dead, and then dies. Or maybe I'm just morbid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utu7)
    I felt sick reading such drivvel. Also the excessive description of her chin. That's when I decided I was sticking to the island of pine.
    Exactly. I feel I could go off on a rant if I do lovely little Gracie in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Mishael – I presume you're meant to say how you've adapted the texts, how you've directed it to your audience, genre etc, how you could improve it. But it's only a tiny part of the exam, about 200 words or so. Concentrate more on the actual piece, and it should come naturally.

Listen to me giving advice when I haven't even done a mock paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mishael)
    Argh I need help on the commentary...

I can't find any notes about how to write it, and I want to do a good one cos its such an easy way to pick up a few extra marks.

Does anyone know what you're supposed to write in it? :eek:
    What my teacher gave me:

-Outline any difficulties
    -How you selected and rejected material
    -How you ordered material and made text cohesive
    -Why you chose a particular tone
    -Any presentational devices
    -Analyse why you chose particular linguistic techniques but DON'T merely feature spot as you will not get any marks

Good luck for tommorow everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Mishael – I presume you're meant to say how you've adapted the texts, how you've directed it to your audience, genre etc, how you could improve it. But it's only a tiny part of the exam, about 200 words or so. Concentrate more on the actual piece, and it should come naturally.

Listen to me giving advice when I haven't even done a mock paper
    Thanks. I know its only a small part but 10 marks can make all the difference. :p:

I'm worried they're going to confiscate my booklets. Do you think I'll get away with a chronological timeline on the inside page?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as long as an examiner doesn't appear!

I know this depends on the person writing, but how many words on average fit a side of A4? Bet you don't know why I'm asking, oh no...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as long as an examiner doesn't appear!

I know this depends on the person writing, but how many words on average fit a side of A4? Bet you don't know why I'm asking, oh no...
    I fit about 400+ words on a page...depends on the size of your writing I guess. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, I think I'll have to write randomness on a piece of A4 as I watch Big Brother, being so highly cultured and all

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, just thought id warn you! - dont cut and stick any text from the source material!
    I did this exam in January - Noahs Ark ,and i cut and stuck quite alot of the source text down - (as our teacher advised us to do it?!) -
    annyway I ended up with a U
    - its all about the new genre i think!
    good luck everyone - im going to do ibiza

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buffyphil)
    Hi everyone, just thought id warn you! - dont cut and stick any text from the source material!
    I did this exam in January - Noahs Ark ,and i cut and stuck quite alot of the source text down - (as our teacher advised us to do it?!) -
    annyway I ended up with a U
    - its all about the new genre i think!
    good luck everyone - im going to do ibiza
    I thought you said "I'm going to Ibiza" - must be that heat and energy drain affecting my ability to think logically again! I just know I'm going to have that Vengaboys song in my head through the exam.

Thanks for the advice on cutting and pasting. I can't wait to have this exam over and done with.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe S'ok!

Hey i know i just told you all that cutting and pasting shouldnt be done - but iv seen a handy factfile on Text M in ibiza - would i be allowed to stick this on? its a really small thing with some simple info on. Its quite late now - hope someones stil awake to tell me!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. It kind of seems silly to re-write simple facts, and to some extent it can be seen as somewhat graphological. I have no idea, but I probably wouldn't risk it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buffyphil)
    Hehe S'ok!

Hey i know i just told you all that cutting and pasting shouldnt be done - but iv seen a handy factfile on Text M in ibiza - would i be allowed to stick this on? its a really small thing with some simple info on. Its quite late now - hope someones stil awake to tell me!
    It probably won't fit in with the genre. Even if the task is to write a holiday brochure it would probably be better to write out your own version of it - cos it has information on february and november festivals, way outside the tourist season.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.