Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mishael)
    It probably won't fit in with the genre. Even if the task is to write a holiday brochure it would probably be better to write out your own version of it - cos it has information on february and november festivals, way outside the tourist season.
    Ok! thank you both!

Goin to bed now - gunna be dreamin of ibiza - its all i can think about!
    cant wait to get this out of the way.
    then i gotta learn acquisiton and change again.. what fun

ReputationRep:
    is lang acq/change on monday?

ReputationRep:
    yeah lang acq/change is monday... so we've got the weekend to learn it all!! good luck tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck tomorrow guys!

I've only prepared one booklet (Grace Darling because it looks easier and more interesting than the Ibiza one) and have this horrible sinking feeling that I'm going to be kicking myself tomorrow when an easy question comes up for the Ibiza booklet, but it's been too sunny to care about doing this exam, I couldn't be bothered to prepare them both. *Big lazy sigh*. Anyway, as well as having a horrible sinking feeling about screwing this exam up, I also have a feeling the Grace Darling piece is going to be aimed for children (as all but one of these texts are aimed for children) and will either be a museum tourguide thing, a newspaper article of some sort, or a horrible horrible radio script, which I would just not do. >_< So anyone got any pointers for writing for children if you guys are still up? I'd be grateful for the advice, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to bed now too, already kicking myself for not going through both booklets properly. I really can't wait to be walking out of that exam room. (Only to face language acq/change revision all weekend!)

Good luck everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm in exactly the same boat...I'm still annotating Darling now, and I toko one look at the Ibiza pms and decided there were far too many genres inside of it for me to be able to plan for the exam!

My only advice for writing for children would be to
    - make use of technical features such as text boxes, coloured and interesting fonts, task boxes and diagrams.
    - simplistic syntax and lexis, as appropriate for the age.
    - a glossary if required to justify and veering off the appropriate language!
    - lots of lovely linguistic devices, like rhetorical questions and premodifiers - - that you can talk about in the commentary.
    - active sentence structures to maintain interest.
    - a sensible amount of exclamatory sentences: embrace the cheese, but not too much.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Lol at 'embrace the cheese' - it was exactly what I was thinking while I was eating my breakfast this morning. Just write something quite cheesy for children, but not so over the top that it's embarrassing and horrible to read or even worse, patronising, and something quite formal - but not overly formal if you get me - for adults.

Anyway, I've got to go catch my bus before I miss it and miss the exam >_<, but I just wanted to thank-you for replying, so thank-you! ^_^ Hopefully something aimed at children will come up in the exam today as it seems easier in my opinion and you’ve made some good suggestions which I could use. ^_^

I’m getting really nervous at the minute – can’t wait ‘til this exam is over and done with. >_<

Anyway, I’ve really got to go - Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Well, after all that, i ended up doing an Ibiza task!

What did everyone else do? I did question two, the TV Times article to accompany the TV programme. I found it went quite well. I think I covered enough different subjects that were in the pack in sufficient detail, but still quite a general overview. My major problem was that the second half could read like a travel guide rather than an article, but I did justify that quite strongly (I think) in my commentary.

I nearly forgot to include a layout diagram and notes to the editor, but that didn't take too long. Layout diagrams for magazines can be pretty generic, I find.

How did it go for everyone else then?

Also, how did everyone show what images would be included (if any), if you didn't use glue? I just said 'image of clubbers (text whatever)' or similar. Would that do, d'ya think?

Good luck for Monday...

ReputationRep:
    hmm, I have mixed feelings about how it went.

I did the first Ibiza task (website) and planned it, etc, then realised I was running out of time and was forced to amend a lot of my plans.. which I explained in my commentary, but I was disappointed about anyway.

included brief diagrams of what I wanted my layout to be like, which everyone else in my class seemed to think I was mad for doing(?!). when I got out and I talked to the people from my class about it, they all seemed to have done something completely different, even if they were doing the same task as me.

I split the website into sections, so the user would click on buttons on the main page to visit history page, environment page.. etc, and even gave a brief introduction to my site (welcome and thanks for visiting, blahblah blah) which nobody else seems to have done. urgh, worried.

hope everyone else did OK, and yeh, good luck for Monday (I certainly need it!) xx

ReputationRep:
    i did the second question on Ibiza, the Tv times one....is TV times like radio times but trashier? am fretting that didn't get the right voice! was half-pleased with it, unfortunately it might not be to the examiner's taste. so subjective so can't tell how I did at all which is crap!

ReputationRep:
    I did question 3, the Radio 4 show on Grace Darling... was hoping before the exam that a question like this would come up, but feel that I didn't use enough sound effects, and rushed the ending as I included a bit too much detail at the beginning... so the tone was lost towards the end.

My commentary was complete rubbish too... was rushed for time and didn't include what I wanted to!

Will just have to see on August 18th, hey! I'm dreading that day!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marychrist)
    included brief diagrams of what I wanted my layout to be like, which everyone else in my class seemed to think I was mad for doing(?!). when I got out and I talked to the people from my class about it, they all seemed to have done something completely different, even if they were doing the same task as me.

I split the website into sections, so the user would click on buttons on the main page to visit history page, environment page.. etc, and even gave a brief introduction to my site (welcome and thanks for visiting, blahblah blah) which nobody else seems to have done. urgh, worried.
    Don't worry, we've been taught to do exactly that right through the year, and our English teacher's generally spot on. I did this task to (hadn't prepared GD at all, it felt like a waste of time when I knew I'd be skimming it, so my notes wouldn't be detailed enough to use). Split the site up in to a few sections, bit of multimedia for festivals, wildlife etc, general features of a webpage, and aimed at an older audience.

Quite pleased on the whole

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marychrist)
    hmm, I have mixed feelings about how it went.

I did the first Ibiza task (website) and planned it, etc, then realised I was running out of time and was forced to amend a lot of my plans.. which I explained in my commentary, but I was disappointed about anyway.

hope everyone else did OK, and yeh, good luck for Monday (I certainly need it!) xx
    you sound very similar to me! i ran out of time towards the end, and my commentary ended up being scribbled in the last five mins! but i did the same as you, brief diagrams, had different pages for each bit, and intro. we're cool

ReputationRep:
    alright phil, glad to recognise another mrs smith editorial writing groupie! i found mine....ok. just ok. nothing more to say, i did task 2, the article but not sure about register and audience......well bring on august 18th!

ReputationRep:
    am i the only person who did the Grace Darling one for 11 to 14 year olds? i was the only one in my class who did it so i'm kind of nervous now!

ReputationRep:
    I did the TV times one too and I'm really worried I didn't get the right voice. I've never actually heard of the TV times so I just made it pretty generic - I'm worried it's too formal!

Aaargh guess I just have to wait and see!

ReputationRep:
    It went fabulously, I think.

I did Ibiza task 2, TV Times. At first I worried about not getting the right voice or being incoherent - but I decided to go for a neutral tone, not too colloquial, and not too formal, either. I think I did it ok but it did turn into something of a travel guide every now and then, but i kept reasserting how good the programme "The New Ibiza" would be. I was like "There was just enough time to watch the preview tape before TV-T went to press, and from the taster presented, the beauty of this programme is that it doesn't have a bias towards one view or stereotype of Ibiza. It approaches the issue with intrigue and open-mindedness". - OK that does sound quite formal, but I think it had to be in parts.

LAYOUT

I drew out a double page spread of what I wanted it to look like. I gave the programme 5 Stars (like they sometimes do in TV mags) and did a little key, like:

* = Poor
    ** = Average

and so on lol.

I put plenty of pictures in and separated the text into bite size chunks. Kept my sentences short to reflect modern tastes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    It went fabulously, I think.

I did Ibiza task 2, TV Times. At first I worried about not getting the right voice or being incoherent - but I decided to go for a neutral tone, not too colloquial, and not too formal, either. I think I did it ok but it did turn into something of a travel guide every now and then, but i kept reasserting how good the programme "The New Ibiza" would be. I was like "There was just enough time to watch the preview tape before TV-T went to press, and from the taster presented, the beauty of this programme is that it doesn't have a bias towards one view or stereotype of Ibiza. It approaches the issue with intrigue and open-mindedness". - OK that does sound quite formal, but I think it had to be in parts.

LAYOUT

I drew out a double page spread of what I wanted it to look like. I gave the programme 5 Stars (like they sometimes do in TV mags) and did a little key, like:

* = Poor
    ** = Average

and so on lol.

I put plenty of pictures in and separated the text into bite size chunks. Kept my sentences short to reflect modern tastes.
    I didn't do it as a review, but as an article in its own right. I invented a married couple fronting the programme, and set out the article as a sort of interview of them after they'd come home. Then at the end I just said 'The New Ibiza will be screened on ITV...blah blah'

I think my tone was quite similar to yours though which is quite a relief. I was a bit worried that it was after a tabloid tone, which mine isn't at all.

ReputationRep:
    From what you all said - you seemd to be doing the right things!

I did the ibiza website- tho i actually aranged it in the layout i wanted as i wrote .. is that ok?
    I included many website features - eg - links etc.
    I think it went alot better than Noah's Ark anyway - I was glad it was a website and not a.. wall display- i was dreading a wall display!

Phil

ReputationRep:
    Good point, I know nowt about wall displays

As far as I know, there's no set rule about how to show layout, it just needs to be in a state so an editor could create it as you intended, so as long as your plans are clear, I guess you can do that how you like. For the website, I basically did a dummy copy on the first page with a template of how it would look, and a note that the heading and page copy will change from page to page. I put images and multimedia in as I went along.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.