Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think I've messed mine up completely. The only reference I made to the programme was "The New Ibiza will be shown on ITV at...". I interpreted the question as meaning an article in promotion with the show and of the same subject matter, but not necessarily about it.

I completely ran out of time at the end and my commentary is literally 5 lines stating the blindingly obvious. My layout was basically a scribbled box with a few "picture of _____ here", I'm not happy with it at all. I don't believe I used a particular voice either, and most of what I said was from rememberance rather than selecting and editing from the text. I was very glad to get out, but now I'm dreading results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mishael)
    I didn't do it as a review, but as an article in its own right.
    Same. Mine actually had little to do with the programme. I talked about it at the beginning and end, but called it a TV Times Special Report. I've noticed TV Magazines are starting to move away from just talking about television, so I styled it as an article about Ibiza inspired by the programme. I tried not to make it too much like a travel article, and I hope that was successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utu7)
    I interpreted the question as meaning an article in promotion with the show and of the same subject matter, but not necessarily about it.

That's pretty much what mine is.

I think that's fine. Don't worry, I find that the tasks are generally (and quite suprisingly) broad.

ReputationRep:
    I did Ibiza Q2. I took the question as not a review, but an article documenting the change - this leads on to some persuasive comments that direct the reader to go to Ibiza (Its tourism sector is going downhill etc.). I linked all random stuff together pretty well, so what were the positives of the change (the 'north' section etc. (can't remember, the pretty side )), how it has changed. why it has changed etc etc.

I dunno, i guess it's how you understand the question. But my commentary was ****, oh well.

ReputationRep:
    I've just remembered I wrote through my piece 'catch it on channel 4' - i did question 2 of ibiza....will i lose marks, cos the piece i was writing about was meant to be on itv!!! please someone reply, i need some reassurance!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they'll care about that, i'm sure i accidentally called Grace Darling 'Gracie' at some point, taking informality to new heights!!

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person who did the website one?

ReputationRep:
    I did question four, the one aimed at 11-14 year olds using the Grace Darling material. I thought there was a reasonable choice of questions, although I didn't finish in time and to our surprise a cow, yes A COW came to the window and started mooing! The whole room was in hysterics and after about five minutes it was removed, how I don't know 'cos I got back to writing my piece!

ReputationRep:
    Aww why do things like that never happen to me???!

God I'd have died hahaha!

I got the Birdie song and The Sun Has Got His Hat On in my head though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gringalet)
    you sound very similar to me! i ran out of time towards the end, and my commentary ended up being scribbled in the last five mins! but i did the same as you, brief diagrams, had different pages for each bit, and intro. we're cool
    thanks, I feel a bit reassured now! I'm a bit worried that I didn't pay adequate attention to enough of the topics and my writing sounded a bit too much like the source material(?) but here's hoping I've done enough to retain a B... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Same. Mine actually had little to do with the programme. I talked about it at the beginning and end, but called it a TV Times Special Report. I've noticed TV Magazines are starting to move away from just talking about television, so I styled it as an article about Ibiza inspired by the programme. I tried not to make it too much like a travel article, and I hope that was successful.
    I did the same. I did a double-page spread plan to and called it 'TV-T's Around the World in 80 Editions" lol. How naff.

I didn't discuss the actual programme that much, apart form occasional references and persuasive features here and there to make the audience interested. The task was to promote the programme, not just the destination. I think a mix of both is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I did the same. I did a double-page spread plan to and called it 'TV-T's Around the World in 80 Editions" lol. How naff.

I didn't discuss the actual programme that much, apart form occasional references and persuasive features here and there to make the audience interested. The task was to promote the programme, not just the destination. I think a mix of both is good.
    Mine was similar.

But did the paper actually state 'promote'? i thought it said something about a feature to go with the proposed programme?

god knows..

ReputationRep:
    I did Q3 - what a gift, to do a run of the mill Radio 4 docummentary! (Grace Darling, I want you children). Got a C in January but hoping it'll be a B or even an A this time. But anyhows, I only need a U in Monday's Exam to get a B overall (and thats with the *****y C from January).

ReputationRep:
    I did Ibiza Q1- easy peasy!

I just made sure that I included lots of information under each of the headings; culture, landscape and history (where I used a timeline to summarise the key dates).

Kept relating back to the task by saying stuff like, "when you visit why not take a stroll across the vast countryside..." etc.

Commentary was rushed however and was about a page at most. Not to worry though.

Q2 had too vague an audience for my liking... more room for error. At least with Q1 you could probably assume it was an older audience (thus Standard English etc)

Didn't even read thro the Grace Darling booklet, but looking at the qustions in the exam, I'm glad I didnt!

Adam

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to talk about landscape :/ tho i did mention cliffs and stuff from time to time - also i was quite "colloquial" and friendly when talking, I hope they dont mark me down for that - I just thought it would be more entertaining, even for old culturey people - i said this in my commentry, which I also scribbled in the last 5 mins!

ReputationRep:
    Oh ****, i forgot to mention my upbeat/informal tone, oh well.

ReputationRep:
    I did question 1. All my class did except one person who did the article. None of us touched Grace Darling.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't see anyone around me working on Grace Darling...

Oh damn was the website aimed at oldies?I put in my commentary I kept the language general so as not to alienate a specific audience.Arse.

I did use chatty language and things like,"I recommend you visit...." etc...and I mentioned that it would be like visiting an untouched area...that visitors would feel smug that people on the south coast weren't experiencing the culture of Ibiza...

I cut out the thing about Catalan language pronunciations and stuck that in mentioning language briefly as I thought if they were more interested in culture they might want to try and speak the language...and also the key festivals.

I saw someone earlier said not to cut text out and stick it in so....damn!

ReputationRep:
    I did Grace Darling's question 3 too, Domjohn! Liked the idea of spoken text, and Radio 4 was a good genre, but I have no idea how it went and will just have to wait for results. Did quite enjoy writing it, though. There was a thunder storm outside, and buckets of rain. It felt very atmospheric!

Agree with the commentary; had left 20 mins for it, and all of a sudden, 5 mins had disappeared! No idea what happened there. It was like I blanked out (maybe my eyes are giving up on me )!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiona87)
    I did Grace Darling's question 3 too, Domjohn! Liked the idea of spoken text, and Radio 4 was a good genre, but I have no idea how it went and will just have to wait for results. Did quite enjoy writing it, though. There was a thunder storm outside, and buckets of rain. It felt very atmospheric!

Agree with the commentary; had left 20 mins for it, and all of a sudden, 5 mins had disappeared! No idea what happened there. It was like I blanked out (maybe my eyes are giving up on me )!
    I've been thinking about how I did, and the more I think about it, the worse it seems...! I'm sure I'm just being over-analytical though (at least i hope so!).

I got the structure of my piece quite well, but spent too long on describing the events of the shipwreck, rather than on the wider context of Grace's achievements for females, like the question asked. The ending was somewhat rushed, and I think it ended quite abruptly compared with the start.... which meant that the tone was lost as my script went on! Will wait and see, and hope I can get a good grade on Monday to make up for any lost ground today!

I took my exam in the gym which has a really flimsy-sounding roof- very atmospheric with the rain and thunder... would have prefered it not to have been there though!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.