Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did the Grace Darling question for 11 to 14 year olds, and was scribbling right until I was told to put my pen down! My commentary was really rushed - I really did state the obvious and at one point my writing became so illegible it was unreadable. I'm not sure how it went really - I don't think I put in enough facts and it was rushed because I underestimated how long it would take and basically ended up missing out chunks. Oh well, I can forget about it now for a while - try and concentrate on the next exam on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    I was stressing earlier about the marks I threw away on the commentary. I ran out of time, but I can usually scribble something of relevance down in a few minutes, but my mind went totally blank! I wish I'd been able to justify the general tone I used in my piece as I think it could easily come across as the article lacking character, rather than keeping the audience broad, without justification. I'm trying to use any insecurities I feel about today's exam as motivation to do well on the other Unit. I'll be revising like mad all weekend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domjohn)
    I've been thinking about how I did, and the more I think about it, the worse it seems...! I'm sure I'm just being over-analytical though (at least i hope so!).

I got the structure of my piece quite well, but spent too long on describing the events of the shipwreck, rather than on the wider context of Grace's achievements for females, like the question asked. The ending was somewhat rushed, and I think it ended quite abruptly compared with the start.... which meant that the tone was lost as my script went on! Will wait and see, and hope I can get a good grade on Monday to make up for any lost ground today!

I took my exam in the gym which has a really flimsy-sounding roof- very atmospheric with the rain and thunder... would have prefered it not to have been there though!!!
    Know what you mean - I'm trying not to do a post-mortem on mine, though (I say this...lol). Tried to get a good feel for the audience and incorporate the themes, although I feel like I integrated opinions of Grace more than I made a definitive section of it. Nonetheless, I hope it will suffice. It's hard to know how obvious you have to be. I mean...Radio 4 - you don't have people writing exams for their shows, so I'm hoping they'll accredit the technique I used, which incorporates the points but not in a rigid "1.2.3" way. It's organised/structured, though. I think there's a number of ways you could have gone about it anyway, lol. Arg I panic so much on reflection!

About your abrupt ending - I haven't read yours (obviously, lol) but it could be okay. Introductions tend to be a lot more relaxed and longer than endings, which on many shows are quickly wrapped up before the news. You might be over-analysing, and it's inevitably going to seem worse the further away you get.

Good luck for Monday. What do you need in this exam overall for uni? Hope it goes well. Our gym is a good place to have an exam - it's a lot cooler. The hall is like a greenhouse if the sun is out! GCSEs were all in there and it was torture - this time it wasn't so bad. Right - revision now!

Take care,
    Fiona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiona87)
    Know what you mean - I'm trying not to do a post-mortem on mine, though (I say this...lol). Tried to get a good feel for the audience and incorporate the themes, although I feel like I integrated opinions of Grace more than I made a definitive section of it. Nonetheless, I hope it will suffice. It's hard to know how obvious you have to be. I mean...Radio 4 - you don't have people writing exams for their shows, so I'm hoping they'll accredit the technique I used, which incorporates the points but not in a rigid "1.2.3" way. It's organised/structured, though. I think there's a number of ways you could have gone about it anyway, lol. Arg I panic so much on reflection!

About your abrupt ending - I haven't read yours (obviously, lol) but it could be okay. Introductions tend to be a lot more relaxed and longer than endings, which on many shows are quickly wrapped up before the news. You might be over-analysing, and it's inevitably going to seem worse the further away you get.

Good luck for Monday. What do you need in this exam overall for uni? Hope it goes well. Our gym is a good place to have an exam - it's a lot cooler. The hall is like a greenhouse if the sun is out! GCSEs were all in there and it was torture - this time it wasn't so bad. Right - revision now!

Take care,
    Fiona
    I think it's best to do the analysis and reflection when the results come out to be honest... likely to be more accurate! I'll wait and see.

I need an A in EngLang for uni. I got 264 last year, 55/60 on this year's coursework, which gets stretched by the board so hopefully that'll be around 80-ish? In which case I need around about 135/210 in the two exams, which averages out to about 2 Cs i think...?? Would be nice to have a comfortable A though! lol

How about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's best to do the analysis and reflection when the results come out to be honest... likely to be more accurate! I'll wait and see.

I need an A in EngLang for uni. I got 264 last year, 55/60 on this year's coursework, which gets stretched by the board so hopefully that'll be around 80-ish? In which case I need around about 135/210 in the two exams, which averages out to about 2 Cs i think...?? Would be nice to have a comfortable A though! lol

How about yourself?
    Same - need an A (AAA overall). I am a little worried about this exam, as last year I got 252/300, so it's an A, but not a wildly comfortable one. On reflection, I wish I had done a retake on the Social Contexts exam. I thought it had gone well, but I had taken it at the end of a six-hour exam day, which was unfortunate. I got full marks in the other exam and a high-A in coursework. However, I prefer the course this year and have been told I have a good A provisionally in my coursework (although we weren't given marks). This new year had been very busy, so a retake would not have been the best, but I wish I had given it a go. Or asked for a remark. Ach...just have to keep going I guess.

That's excellent that you have to average around a C, though! Hopefully relieves some of the pressure. How does the coursework marking work? It's good to work out how many marks you have to get :-D (For my other subjects, at least! )

ReputationRep:
    I did the Ibiza one, I was anticipating a promotion/brochure type question comming up so i prepared hevily for that.

ReputationRep:
    However, I think my website conventions were a bit off, I think it looked more like a brochure booklet!!

ReputationRep:
    Same - need an A (AAA overall). I am a little worried about this exam, as last year I got 252/300, so it's an A, but not a wildly comfortable one. On reflection, I wish I had done a retake on the Social Contexts exam. I thought it had gone well, but I had taken it at the end of a six-hour exam day, which was unfortunate. I got full marks in the other exam and a high-A in coursework. However, I prefer the course this year and have been told I have a good A provisionally in my coursework (although we weren't given marks). This new year had been very busy, so a retake would not have been the best, but I wish I had given it a go. Or asked for a remark. Ach...just have to keep going I guess.

That's excellent that you have to average around a C, though! Hopefully relieves some of the pressure. How does the coursework marking work? It's good to work out how many marks you have to get :-D (For my other subjects, at least! )
    Where abouts are you hoping to to go Uni?

I'm not sure how the coursework gets marked to be honest. The college mark it out of 60, and then the board moderates and stretches the scores to give a mark out of 90 for the UMS.... haven't got a clue how this works!

It really does help to know how many marks you need for the grades, but i think I have got a bit complacent in some exams because of it....and although I don't require amazing grades from this set of exams, I'm still absolutely ******** myself about it!

ReputationRep:
    Where abouts are you hoping to to go Uni?

I'm not sure how the coursework gets marked to be honest. The college mark it out of 60, and then the board moderates and stretches the scores to give a mark out of 90 for the UMS.... haven't got a clue how this works!

It really does help to know how many marks you need for the grades, but i think I have got a bit complacent in some exams because of it....and although I don't require amazing grades from this set of exams, I'm still absolutely ******** myself about it!
    Hopefully Oxford Uni to read English Literature. You're Law at Manchester? Ahh Law - it's so competitive for offers! I spoke to someone ages ago who was studying Law at Manchester and they said they love it there.

Hmm...I feel with the exams that they're scaring the life out of me! I should theoretically be okay in English Literature and History, but there's always doubt. Wish I could relax a bit more! What other exams are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    I did my website quite broad as well. My thinking was that some people our age (including me) want to go travelling for the culture, and some older people do too. It's also on the Internet, which means a potentially broad audience. Mine was quite similar to the cultural text things too, but I simplified some of it lexically, grammatically and contentwise, that sort of thing, made it quite personal and persuasive. Used Spanish for headings like 'La Vida', which was probably pretentious, but never mind, and used local place names like Eivissa for Ibiza Town, but I think I glossed it.

I'm sure we're just worrying too much – it'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gringalet)
    Used Spanish for headings like 'La Vida', which was probably pretentious, but never mind, and used local place names like Eivissa for Ibiza Town, but I think I glossed it.
    I love that idea

I'm sure we're just worrying too much – it'll be fine!
    Fingers crossed...

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Oxford Uni to read English Literature. You're Law at Manchester? Ahh Law - it's so competitive for offers! I spoke to someone ages ago who was studying Law at Manchester and they said they love it there.

Hmm...I feel with the exams that they're scaring the life out of me! I should theoretically be okay in English Literature and History, but there's always doubt. Wish I could relax a bit more! What other exams are you taking?
    Congrats on the Oxford offer! I was rejected after interview! Law admissions are stupidly competitive... I knew it would be tough, but never imagined it would be as competitive as it is!! I'm really looking forward to studying in Manchester though, it looks like a great place to be.

I do Politics, Economics and English Language. Repeating the most common phrase in this thread.. "Fingers Crossed"

(which college are you hoping to go to?)

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the Oxford offer! I was rejected after interview! Law admissions are stupidly competitive... I knew it would be tough, but never imagined it would be as competitive as it is!! I'm really looking forward to studying in Manchester though, it looks like a great place to be.

I do Politics, Economics and English Language. Repeating the most common phrase in this thread.. "Fingers Crossed"

(which college are you hoping to go to?)
    Aww thank you! I met so many lovely Law students at the interviews, as ours coincided; it did sound pretty brutal...I felt very sorry for you all! I heard somewhere that Law was unusually oversubscribed this year. Which college did you apply to? It's their loss. Hopefully I'll be going to Hertford College, where I can't wait (grades providing) to study English Literature (and some English Language) solidly for three years

If you do Politics, are you with the exam board that has all the exams in the forthcoming week? If so, best of luck for them.

ReputationRep:
    Aww thank you! I met so many lovely Law students at the interviews, as ours coincided; it did sound pretty brutal...I felt very sorry for you all! I heard somewhere that Law was unusually oversubscribed this year. Which college did you apply to? It's their loss. Hopefully I'll be going to Hertford College, where I can't wait (grades providing) to study English Literature (and some English Language) solidly for three years

If you do Politics, are you with the exam board that has all the exams in the forthcoming week? If so, best of luck for them.
    I applied to Wadham but was interviewed at St Edmund Hall. Everyone I met at my interview was really nice!
    I did do Politics with the exam board that has loads of exams this week, but I took the synoptic paper early in January and managed to get a high B, so I'm not going to be taking it this week! Yessss. Just got to hope for a C/D in my coursework now!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Fiona 87, just wanted to say that i applied to do english at hertford college oxford but was rejected.....going to Nottingham instead though so not all bad! went out in oxford with some people that i met there, had an amazing time, and hertford seemed really friendly and lovely! and the nightlife in oxford wasn't too bad, the monday of my interview me and two other found a bar selling all drinks for a quid!! nice one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazygirlcath)
    Hi Fiona 87, just wanted to say that i applied to do english at hertford college oxford but was rejected.....going to Nottingham instead though so not all bad! went out in oxford with some people that i met there, had an amazing time, and hertford seemed really friendly and lovely! and the nightlife in oxford wasn't too bad, the monday of my interview me and two other found a bar selling all drinks for a quid!! nice one!
    Wow! Oh my goodness, we could have met! I was there with the latter half of the alphabet, though (looked at your profile and not sure if I recognise your name), but I was there on the Monday evening. I was wearing (oh the ambiguity) a black top and browny cord-like trousers, lol. Bargain on the drinks - I went to the college bar, but other than that, I made myself familiar with coffee places . I love caffeine.

I'm really sorry you were rejected. Nottingham sounds fantastic - one of my best friends is going there for Maths so it will be an amazing few years.

Take care (and thank you for posting this ),
    Fiona

ReputationRep:
    I was in the first half - second name being Adams - so probably didn't meet! never mind! a girl i met called Tash got a place there, so you've got some good company, it's a lovely place. I stayed in Room H10 - Hollywell room 10 second floor! was great, really open spaced! wasn't so keen on charlotte brewer who interviewed me though! have a terrific three years there though, sure you will!

ReputationRep:
    Ah wow! Say "hi" to Tash from me if you speak/write to her soon :-) I've seen her name on a list of people who got in, but haven't spoken to her. Exams over now, but need to get AAA otherwise it all slips away! Arg...can't say "off to revise" any more, lol.

Have you got lots of plans for the summer? Hope this one is excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Ah wow! Say "hi" to Tash from me if you speak/write to her soon :-) I've seen her name on a list of people who got in, but haven't spoken to her. Exams over now, but need to get AAA otherwise it all slips away! Arg...can't say "off to revise" any more, lol.

Have you got lots of plans for the summer? Hope this one is excellent.
    Really? well unfortunately won't be speaking to her, only swapped numbers to let each other know of our predicaments! She's a great laugh though, went out and had a wicked time, to celebrate the end of Oxford stress! well I'm panicking until the exam results come out i think, had a rough time revising and doing them and don't feel confident that I've achieved the grades that i need but other than that...laying out in the sun and working to earn money for Uni! Good luck with your results...sure you'll have been fine, I mean you got into Oxford! i've still got two more exams to go unfortunately so revising for those...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazygirlcath)
    Really? well unfortunately won't be speaking to her, only swapped numbers to let each other know of our predicaments! She's a great laugh though, went out and had a wicked time, to celebrate the end of Oxford stress! well I'm panicking until the exam results come out i think, had a rough time revising and doing them and don't feel confident that I've achieved the grades that i need but other than that...laying out in the sun and working to earn money for Uni! Good luck with your results...sure you'll have been fine, I mean you got into Oxford! i've still got two more exams to go unfortunately so revising for those...
    Hopefully will meet her in October then .

Aww, the results stress is terrible...I know that as soon as I stop to think, it will get to me. I guess it's the same for you. Doesn't revision seem to be getting harder?! I think it's because the limits to what you have to revise seem broader than ever before. My room is a heap and I think my head is in a similar state!

This set of exams has a completely different feel to any of the others; it feels scary and a bit ominous and a lot like a blur. August is too far away. I think (and hope) our fear is circumstantial! I'll keep my fingers crossed that we both get the grades we need to go where we want to go - I really hope your final two go well and summer won't be too ruined by thoughts of results day (it seems to inevitably invade the holidays). Which two do you have left?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.