The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I go to a Girl's convent school...it sounds really bad, doesn't it? But honestly, it's not that terrible. We have about two nuns in the school [one's the head] and they can be annoyingly strict, but they don't really force the Catholic Religion on us [if they do, it's not noticable]. Some of our teachers aren't even Roman Catholics. We do have to go to mass fairly regularly with the school.

Personally, I think that single-sex schools do generally do better academically simply because there's not the distraction of the opposite sex and all that jazz [unless you're gay and go to a single sex school, then that's a different story]. But on the other hand, it really comes down to the kind of person you are. If you're ambitious and get down to work and try not to let anything or anyone distract you, I assume you'll get good grades.

And that whole "up for it" thing, we get that too. Though, to be honest, I can't really blame them...some of the girls at our school, they like to show it all off and act all loud amongst the lads [we have a mixed sixth form].
Reply 21
I go to an all boys school and it can cause bys to act really immature as the years progress as well as gay. In the 5th year boys violated other boys (which involved pretneding to hump them) which was funny but embaressing to the person involved.
Reply 22
Funkymonk
I go to a Girl's convent school...it sounds really bad, doesn't it? But honestly, it's not that terrible. We have about two nuns in the school [one's the head] and they can be annoyingly strict, but they don't really force the Catholic Religion on us [if they do, it's not noticable]. Some of our teachers aren't even Roman Catholics. We do have to go to mass fairly regularly with the school.

Personally, I think that single-sex schools do generally do better academically simply because there's not the distraction of the opposite sex and all that jazz [unless you're gay and go to a single sex school, then that's a different story]. But on the other hand, it really comes down to the kind of person you are. If you're ambitious and get down to work and try not to let anything or anyone distract you, I assume you'll get good grades.

And that whole "up for it" thing, we get that too. Though, to be honest, I can't really blame them...some of the girls at our school, they like to show it all off and act all loud amongst the lads [we have a mixed sixth form].

Hehe. Arnt convent schools fab! lol Do you have an urm... exciting uniform? Mine is brown and yellow with a stripey blazer! nice
Reply 23
bleeper
I go to an all boys school and it can cause bys to act really immature as the years progress as well as gay. In the 5th year boys violated other boys (which involved pretneding to hump them) which was funny but embaressing to the person involved.

lol we get the same thing, but ive also noticed guys are more homophibic at my skool (all boys) than guys in mixed schools
Reply 24
I go to an all boys school and it gets great results. I didn't mind it, you can keep you social life more seperate from your school life.

mtbab
lol we get the same thing, but ive also noticed guys are more homophibic at my skool (all boys) than guys in mixed schools

We get stuff like that happening at ours too, and for the first four years anything that was annoying/boring/stupid/etc was 'gay'
Reply 25
sebstuart
I go to an all boys school and it gets great results. I didn't mind it, you can keep you social life more seperate from your school life.

We get stuff like that happening at ours too, and for the first four years anything that was annoying/boring/stupid/etc was 'gay'

exactlyy it was like the only word everyone knew, if someone did something different, or like didnt get chips with their lunch it was 'gay' lol it was just soo stupid.
mtbab
exactlyy it was like the only word everyone knew, if someone did something different, or like didnt get chips with their lunch it was 'gay' lol it was just soo stupid.

We get that at my school and it's mixed
Reply 27
I'm a catholic, and have never been to a catholic school. I think it might have freaked me out a bit, to be honest, all that religion.

I do, however, go to a single sex school, in which the sixth form becomes sort-of mixed. We have a sister school (boys) which makes up our other half, so we have to traipse over there for some of our lessons. Its quite a good arrangement, although they take advantage of the fact that our school is far less strict (because they can trust the girls not to do stupid things).

And Bleeper is totally right. The boys from our sister school are *always* humping each other and jumping and rubbing. Its so weird, just because of the sheer scale of it. Its widespread throughout the school- especially 6th form. Weirdly, the girls didn't turn out that way.
Reply 28
sheepgirl
Hehe. Arnt convent schools fab! lol Do you have an urm... exciting uniform? Mine is brown and yellow with a stripey blazer! nice

Eh? No way...that's pretty much what our uniform looks like. I never wear the blazer, ever. Our jumpers are brown, brown skirts, cream shirts, and different coloured ties depending on what house you're in. Perhaps our schools are sisters...
Reply 29
'Interesting' uniform seems to be a trend with catholic schools. We have a blazer (compulsory in years 7 to 9 only, thank god) which is navy, with maroon, white and yellow stripes. Tis a school of walking deckchairs, in the lower school at least.
Reply 30
We get called deckchairs too!!!

Do you go to a convent school? Or just a catholic one? Ours is a convent.

Although the uniform is awful - once you are in school and everyone is wearing the same its not so bad.

In a way its a good thing that its all girls. I'd hate to think what they'd make the boys wear! Brown trousers!? Yellow stripey shirts and stripey bazers!? Nice!!!!
I went to an all girls Catholic Convent Primary school and I loved it. We did do quite a lot of religion but I didn't mind, and when you're that young you're glad to be away from boys! I then went to an all-girls catholic grammar school for two years and hated it, so I moved to a school that is mixed in terms of sex and religion.

I live in Northern Ireland so obviously religion is a bit of an issue here. I didn't like the fact I went to a Catholic school because it meant I was automatically segregated. In my opinion it made things a lot more sectarian and increased the divide, whereas the school I'm at now, while not officially 'integrated' is pretty much 50:50 in terms or religion and much healthier for it.
As for all-girls schools, in primary school I think it is a good idea, but by secondary school I don't really see the point, certainly not in sixth form. It doesn't reflect university or real life, which is surely what school should prepare you for.
Reply 32
I agree that an all girls secondary schools doesnt really set you up for the outside world and university. I am moving to college to do my alevels - I could easily see that if I stayed on at school I would be in a nice and safe environment and I would just be the same as I am now. But I'm hoping that college can prepare me more for university and beyond!

I'm not against religious schools. However its important that they teach students about other religions and how we should respect them. I think that in a catholic (or any other religious school) most, if not all, of your religious mesasges are about the school you attend. My school does hardly anything about other religions - which I think is bad. In year 7 we studied catholocism. Year 8 we did a mix or christianity, judaism and Islam. And year 9 was more christianity. Its not a private school. so they somehow encorporated the national currculm into it! Even now at GCSE we only sit the catholic paper and dont have any questions about other religions - or other christian denominations. So its important to study other religions too. But catholic schools arnt all bad. There is a big sense of community at my school which I think is nice.
Reply 33
i went to an all girls convent primary school and actually really liked it... i had moved from a mixed school in the first year though so couldn't work out what was missing lol. there were only 2 nuns and they were really nice... we had to pray in the morning, before and after dinner at the angelus and at the end of the day. but it was fun as you would concentrate more on who was saying the prayer or if you didnt know it. we had masses only every now and then and learnt hymns. i think the most religious thing was during may, we had to walk round the playground sayin the rosary then go into the church and say more prayers at Mary's shrine before a mass.
but still it was really fun... it didnt seem so relilgious when you're younger.
i went from there to a mixed convent school. the first year we were a bit overwhelmed from actually being with boys but we got used to it, and now i'm sad to be leaving as everyone just became such good friends. we only say prayers in assemblies and things and have a school mass once a year and any other masses are for special occasions or for people leaving the school. i'm glad i went to a mixed school... some of my friends went on to all-girls schools so they saw no change but now they say they would rather be in a mixed school.
the boys don't distract you at all just like the girls don't distract the boys... we all just learnt to be friends, and there's a really nice atmosphere.

even though our school's a convent, i have to say our uniform's actually quite nice! it sounds weird but looks really nice. mauve open-necked, short sleeved blouse (so no tie!), lightish green skirt, bottle green socks, bottle green jumper and purple blazer! the boys uniform is boring though heh.
:p:
I go to a girls school. I really enjoy that fact it is an all girls school although at times being in one building that is full of over 1000 teenage girls can get very over whelming..too many people squealing and screaming everytime a boy walks past the window in the doors on the tower block stairs that connect us to the boys school next door. Now I am older it drives me mad to have whiny and annoying little girls everywhere. I have started to notice that all the senior members of staff which get appointed when someone leaves are female. Lots of unmarried female staff in high up postions. I think my headteacher has turned school into a machine to produce strong independant sucsessful women...Its quite scary but it is what we get trained to be..We are conditioned!! I do also think that it has affected the way I am able to interact with guys. I don't have many male friends...and that is because my school the place to make friends as a teenager is full of girls.
lol sparkly, is that by any chance Weatherhead?

I go to an all boys school, too many big headed little kids thinking they own the world though :mad:
Funkymonk
Eh? No way...that's pretty much what our uniform looks like. I never wear the blazer, ever. Our jumpers are brown, brown skirts, cream shirts, and different coloured ties depending on what house you're in. Perhaps our schools are sisters...

my uniform is actually ok....its a black blazer, a black skirt a black and green jumper and tie and a white shirt and black tights, it aint too bad also we gotta wear 'clicky' shoes lol!!!!! and i love 'clicky' shoes lol!!! xoxo
saiyamana
lol sparkly, is that by any chance Weatherhead?

I go to an all boys school, too many big headed little kids thinking they own the world though :mad:

Wirral Girls..lol

What boys school are you at?
sparklyteacosie
Wirral Girls..lol

What boys school are you at?

O right :smile:

Mosslands here, right next to weatherhead :cool: Well the 6th form is mixed, but theres only 3 girls there :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending