Turn on thread page Beta

Israeli scientists use car traffic to generate electricity watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    An Israeli company has developed a method of generating electricity from road traffic, and Israeli may look to implement the system on the nation's highways.

The system works by using generators implanted in the asphalt that create energy when cars drive over them. Each generator produces 2,000 watts per hour, which is stored in batteries along the side of the road.

The technology was developed by the Israeli firm Innowattech, with the cooperation of the Technion University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oesao)
    An Israeli company has developed a method of generating electricity from road traffic, and Israeli may look to implement the system on the nation's highways.

The system works by using generators implanted in the asphalt that create energy when cars drive over them. Each generator produces 2,000 watts per hour, which is stored in batteries along the side of the road.

The technology was developed by the Israeli firm Innowattech, with the cooperation of the Technion University.
    Do you have any article about it?

ReputationRep:
    I like sauce.

ReputationRep:
    I heard about this a long time ago

ReputationRep:
    http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...ech-launch.php and http://www.greenprophet.com/2009/04/...4/innowattech/

It's an old story but, hey that's TSR

ReputationRep:
    I'd be impressed if this was better than terribly inefficient. How much energy can you seriously harness from cars travelling down a road? :confused:

And why are they not connecting the power to their power-grid. Storing the energy in chemical batteries sounds really dumb - I guess I'm missing something here. :confused:

:confused::confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    I'd be impressed if this was better than terribly inefficient. How much energy can you seriously harness from cars travelling down a road? :confused:

And why are they not connecting the power to their power-grid. Storing the energy in chemical batteries sounds really dumb - I guess I'm missing something here. :confused:

:confused::confused::confused:
    1. Cars produce ridiculous amounts of power. At peak, they're putting out over 100kw for an average car. Even at idle, a lot of electricity could be generated.

2. Batteries are a good idea because load is provided for by what's already there, so these systems would be for the peak hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oesao)

thats old news! i found out about this months ago on BBC news

ReputationRep:
    Maybe this is just me.... but 2,000W powers a kettle for one second?

So in one hour these "generators" create enough power to power a kettle for one measly second?

Or am I missing something? :o:

ReputationRep:
    a good way of harnessing the braking energy used by vehicles would be epic win

ReputationRep:
    Aren't there quite a few projects like this around the world? Especially in the US and Europe.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah, this is nothing new

ReputationRep:
    Wait? Produces 2000 watts per hour? Does that make little sense to anyone else? Or can it only produce 2000 watts for 1 hour?

ReputationRep:
    old news...new news....who cares? wooohoooo isreal!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baboo.)
    Is this thread more about cheap renewable energy or Israel?
    its bout both! tbh i dont know coz i didnt start this thread but im gonna big up israel nontheless!!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent work from the Israeli company nonetheless.
    lol i never usually get muslim ppl to agree with me when it comes to liking israel!!

ReputationRep:
    This isn't about Israel though, for me. It's about my fellow humans helping the Earth because quite frankly it badly needs it. They just happened to be from a certain piece of land with man-made borders, just like any other country. It would've been the same had it been done in any other country.
    havent had a proper convo with u in a long time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillya1)
    Maybe this is just me.... but 2,000W powers a kettle for one second?

So in one hour these "generators" create enough power to power a kettle for one measly second?

Or am I missing something? :o:
    2000W powers a kettle endlessly. Watts are joules per second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    2000W powers a kettle endlessly. Watts are joules per second.
    My bad :o: I feel thick now :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillya1)
    My bad :o: I feel thick now :p:
    The fool is he who does not ask

I'm a bit dubious about the claims as well - surely they would have been implemented somewhere like on the M25 where cars are always parked and running? Imagine if the M25 generated some of the electricity for london! Maybe it hasn't caught on yet...

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.