Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    last edited

Hi! I'll be self teaching AS history as well this year.
    Im choosing AQA though, as it's probably the easiest examination board out of those three (IMO :o: )

ReputationRep:
    edexcel as they are the most direct and have good resources
    AQA are too wishy washy with their questions and have **** resources plus bad mark schemes
    OCR like giving you a fat booklet and tell you to do 2 questions from a 100 and they have the ******** exam certificates.

EDEXCEL ALL THE WAY

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Edexcel history and it seems to be the easiest, I did OCR last year and it was hard.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt there'll be many who've done more than one (I was about to respond "No one will have done more than one", but then I saw Jinxy's response above), and of course difficulty is very relative, so you'll find it very hard to get a conclusive response to this sort of question OP

ReputationRep:
    It is strange with history. Everybody always seems to think their option and board is the easiest! :p:

If you are doing it yourself, you have the great luxury of choosing which period and area of history you want to study. Then select the most appealing exam board which offers those units.

They all share way more in common than they have differences so don't get wound up over the choice.

Aargh, I was dead set on AQA, but after reading the posts on this thread I'm unsure

ReputationRep:
    Sciences- definetly AQA
    History/Humanities- Edexcel
    Maths- OCR/MEI

Avoid!
    English Lang/Lit- AQA
    Physics - OCR B/A
    Music- Edexcel

ReputationRep:
    I would really say Edexcel for humanities too. Did Philosophy edexcel last year compared to AQA this year - Edex is easier. I've also done OCR English which was harder than AQA English. I always found GCSEs on edexcel easier too.

If you're wondering how i've done both, well i had to change schools and convert exam boards.

ReputationRep:
    I did Biology with OCR and got a U, changed to AQA and got a B! I'd Say AQA is by far the easiest the resources are better, you can e-mail them and they reply and the is a wealth of info you can get on their website. I was going to self teach History and I was going to do it with AQA as AQA are the best exam board for private candidates, unit 4 has a c/w and OCR/Edexcel dont let you take their c/w/ modules as a private candidate so I am guessing if you are going to do A2 Hist you will have to do it with AQA. AQA have better options anyway!!!I did all my A Levels with AQA (except geog which was with edexcel) and I am glad i did.

ReputationRep:
    For History do OCR... well thats what my History teachers think, over the past 5 years they have done every board possible but have settled on OCR... apparently their marking is the most reliable however they do agree it is more harder then Edexcel... I would think again about doing AQA.... I'd never ever trust History AQA!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Sciences- definetly AQA
    History/Humanities- Edexcel
    Maths- OCR/MEI

Avoid!
    English Lang/Lit- AQA
    Physics - OCR B/A
    Music- Edexcel
    This.

The sciences on Edexcel and OCR were way difficult than the ones on AQA. The AQA physics and chem synoptic (old spec) was bloody mutiple choice for crying out loud! WTF?!

:nothing:

ReputationRep:
    avoid wjec for everything. they provide very little to no support material! unlike aqa/ocr. (in science/language subjects at least)

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.