Psycology A level (is it worth it?) Watch

This discussion is closed.
CrzySxyCool
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
i know people always tell you what you do in psycology in as and A level but can someone tell me specificly what you can learn and how this can benefit someone?i am thinking about doing it but i am wondering if its just a "common sense" subject?
CrzySxyCool
Rep:
?
anyone?
Anna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by CrzySxyCool)
anyone?
dont know but i might be doing it..
derecho
Report 15 years ago
it is no way common sense. it is roughly the same difficulty as biology. you have to learn vaious experiments based on psychological topics and write about them in an exam. Its difficult to blag. if you dont like writing then dont do it, also if you dont like ststistics.
Hannah
Report 15 years ago
Hiya. I would definitely recommend doing psychology. I started off just doing it because I wanted a fourth subject I hadnt done before and now i have applied to do it at university. its great. The alevel involves a lot of looking at experiments other people have done and learning about different theories for certain behaviours. Its not just a common sense subject id say that was more sociology(well at my school anyway - sorry if ive offended any sociology lovers!) Anyway good luck if you do decide to take it x x x
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Its just as challenging as maths, if not more.

MUCH more revision is required if you want to do well.
CrzySxyCool
Rep:
?
oh right thats kinda just put me of as im lazy! could you tell me what kind of things you study in psycology please?
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
Its just as challenging as maths, if not more.

MUCH more revision is required if you want to do well.
LOL. Maths, further maths and physics. At least 3 of my 4 A-levels will require roughly zero hours of revision.
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh right thats kinda just put me of as im lazy! could you tell me what kind of things you study in psycology please?
cognitive (memory)
Social
developmental
behavioural (conditioning)
psychodynamic (Freud)
biological

in AS level - but it dont get hard (or greatly interesting) until the second year
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
LOL. Maths, Further Maths and Physics. At least 3 of my 4 A-levels will require roughly zero hours of revision.
revision for maths consists of past papers ... over and over and over
Hannah
Report 15 years ago
Mind you syaing that its a hard subject i didnt revise alot last year and still got an A. I think if you have an interest in the subject - watch relevant programmes on tv, read articles etc- and you have good teachers its quite easy to do well.
Leaby
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Hannah)
Mind you syaing that its a hard subject i didnt revise alot last year and still got an A. I think if you have an interest in the subject - watch relevant programmes on tv, read articles etc- and you have good teachers its quite easy to do well.
I think it depends on the exam board... I think Edexcel can be difficult, but it's not as hard as AQA and OCR sound.
LadyFadge
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
anyone?
I am doing Pschology as an A Level and i hav learnt loads!
Cognitive Psychology
Behavioural Psychology
Social Psychology
ANd now i am doing psychology and education!
Then after christmas i will do posychology and crime!
It is really fun and in your second year you get to do a practical experiment on other pupils but it has to be ethical.
Although my teacher is a complete Looney its fantastic it really is!
I failed my first year and had to go back and do it all again, but i understand it and enjoy it now.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm taking it, and some of it is common sense.
But some of it is very interesting, as long as the teacher isn't really boring like one of mine is!!!
CrzySxyCool
Rep:
?
(Original post by *dave*)
cognitive (memory)
Social
developmental
behavioural (conditioning)
psychodynamic (Freud)
biological

in AS level - but it dont get hard (or greatly interesting) until the second year
yes but whats that all about!
Trace
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i know people always tell you what you do in psycology in as and A level but can someone tell me specificly what you can learn and how this can benefit someone?i am thinking about doing it but i am wondering if its just a "common sense" subject?
i am doing A2 psychology part time and i agree, i thought that i could find out lots of info about well actually dont really know what i expected. all i know is that you learn about the way you are, and why pepople do different things. you begin with memory and individual differences and relations, pro and anti social; behaviour etc. you should just go for it love, it is alright and interesting.
CrzySxyCool
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trace)
i am doing A2 psychology part time and i agree, i thought that i could find out lots of info about well actually dont really know what i expected. all i know is that you learn about the way you are, and why pepople do different things. you begin with memory and individual differences and relations, pro and anti social; behaviour etc. you should just go for it love, it is alright and interesting.
ok cheers hun x x x x
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
AS Psychology is definatly a LOT easier than A2 in terms of the amout of stuff you have to learn and understand, the complexity of the stuff and the amount of analysis needed. At A2 there are no more "describe a study......" questions. I was suprised by the jump. To be honest I didn't find AS hard at all but A2 is.
tracey brigham
Report 14 years ago
i am doing gcse psychology, it gives you more insite of the subject and wat other psycho's think, i think its quite interesting but like with all subjects theres the boring bits, i thought the same as you, there is a certain amount of "common sense" but its much more diverse. It depends on why u want to do it.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hannah)
Hiya. I would definitely recommend doing psychology. I started off just doing it because I wanted a fourth subject I hadnt done before and now i have applied to do it at university. its great. The alevel involves a lot of looking at experiments other people have done and learning about different theories for certain behaviours. Its not just a common sense subject id say that was more sociology(well at my school anyway - sorry if ive offended any sociology lovers!) Anyway good luck if you do decide to take it x x x
Excuse me but sociology is not a common sense subject. Some of it is, but if you went into an exam without knowing any sociology you would come out with a U. Look at some past questions mark schemes and you'll see why.

On the subject of psychology, i don't do it but nearly took it, and loads of my friends are doing it. They say its easier than sociology but there is a lot to learn and apparently social psychology is boring. But that's not my opinion it's theirs. It seems to be that you either love it or hate it. With EdExcel you do cognitive, social and developmental psy i think. Cognitive is memory and recall i think. The others explain themselves.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.

Watched Threads