Best French Regions for Skiing Watch

mary21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

I'm studying French at Uni and the time has come for me to start thinking about where I want to go for my year abroad. I really want to learn to ski, and seeing as I would be there from October to April, this would be the perfect opportunity to do so.

However, I have no idea as to where to go - I am thinking Grenoble at the moment?

I can choose to apply to 3 french departments, and could be placed anywhere within these departments, so I'm looking for departments which are really full of places to ski, which aren't too far from the main towns and cities of the departments.

If anyone can help me with this I would be extremely grateful!

Thank you xxx
kinkajou
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I chose my year abroad destination purely for the skiing too as i've been skiing for 10 years now and thought it was the perfect opportunity to get to practise every week!

Ideally, you'd probably want to locate yourself somewhere like Chambery. Grenoble would be okay but it's not actually as close to the ski resorts as you'd expect - it's a bit of a trek up there, but if you don't mind that then it's not so bad. I take it if you're a beginner you wont have your own skis and stuff to take up with you? Which always makes it a little less hassle.

If you could get a place in Albertville...that would be absolutely perfect too cos you'd be right by all the links up to the resorts like La Plagne (my absolute fave!) , Tignes, Val D'Isere etc etc. Annecy would be a gorgeous place to be located too cos it's beautiful once the snow has melted away too. Chambery and Albertville have rail links too so you could get to bigger cities i.e Lyon pretty easily and cheaply. But it depends how much nightlife you're after....cos they are a bit sleepy, but you will find somewhere to go!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a suitable work placement in that area despite applying to various places, and there were no management schools close enough for my liking. So i ended up choosing to study at a business school in Pau in the Pyrenees then got a job there working for Total from january onwards. My town was a 40min bus trip (cheap bus trip!) from a really nice ski resort, and there were loads of others in the vicinity, so it worked out perfectly. Then in summer i was 1hr from the Basque coast - Biarritz, St Jean de Luz, etc so had beaches once the snow had disappeared. Perfect!

Hope this helps a little bit - i'm happy to answer any random questions!
Marinated_in_Joy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
a place called chatelle or something similar, near Torgon, Switzerland. Lovely place.
mary21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by .x.jen.x.)
I chose my year abroad destination purely for the skiing too as i've been skiing for 10 years now and thought it was the perfect opportunity to get to practise every week!

Ideally, you'd probably want to locate yourself somewhere like Chambery. Grenoble would be okay but it's not actually as close to the ski resorts as you'd expect - it's a bit of a trek up there, but if you don't mind that then it's not so bad. I take it if you're a beginner you wont have your own skis and stuff to take up with you? Which always makes it a little less hassle.

If you could get a place in Albertville...that would be absolutely perfect too cos you'd be right by all the links up to the resorts like La Plagne (my absolute fave!) , Tignes, Val D'Isere etc etc. Annecy would be a gorgeous place to be located too cos it's beautiful once the snow has melted away too. Chambery and Albertville have rail links too so you could get to bigger cities i.e Lyon pretty easily and cheaply. But it depends how much nightlife you're after....cos they are a bit sleepy, but you will find somewhere to go!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a suitable work placement in that area despite applying to various places, and there were no management schools close enough for my liking. So i ended up choosing to study at a business school in Pau in the Pyrenees then got a job there working for Total from january onwards. My town was a 40min bus trip (cheap bus trip!) from a really nice ski resort, and there were loads of others in the vicinity, so it worked out perfectly. Then in summer i was 1hr from the Basque coast - Biarritz, St Jean de Luz, etc so had beaches once the snow had disappeared. Perfect!

Hope this helps a little bit - i'm happy to answer any random questions!
wow thanks for all that!

yeah im a total beginner - never been skiing before so dont have any equipment
how much would it be to hire equipment all season and ski lift pass? and a few lessons?
do you know which departements these places are in?
because i'm going to be an assistant i have to specify by area rather than by city then its random allocation of which town i'd actually be based in
but the good thing is that its only 12 hours a week so i'd have plenty of time to ski!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (108)
41.7%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (83)
32.05%
I don't have an opinion (68)
26.25%

Watched Threads