Turn on thread page Beta

4th AS level? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm currently doing Chemistry at college, Maths and Biology via distance learning at home.

I'm thinking of taking an evening class next year, in something other than science - so I have something to complement the subjects I'm already doing.

The choice is between English Literature, French and Law?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

x-Laura-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starbuck*)
    Ok, I'm currently doing Chemistry at college, Maths and Biology via distance learning at home.

I'm thinking of taking an evening class next year, in something other than science - so I have something to complement the subjects I'm already doing.

Thanks

x-Laura-x
    Never study law! Law schools hate it! Go with English - it's wonderful.

French = Bad, also.

ReputationRep:

Thanks

x-Laura-x
    I'd do English Lit. I don't think most top unis consider law as a good a-level....its not like english lit or french...its not a "traditional subject"

ReputationRep:
    Either choose english lit or french (wouldn't choose law because of reasons which have already been touched upon). French is much easier than english lit but both are worthwhile (I too studied sciences + maths at AS and I chose french to complement them )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Never study law! Law schools hate it! Go with English - it's wonderful.

French = Bad, also.
    I'm intrigued as to why you think French is bad...I would have thought a language would be good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Either choose english lit or french (wouldn't choose law because of reasons which have already been touched upon). French is much easier than english lit but both are worthwhile (I too studied sciences + maths at AS and I chose french to complement them )
    I think I'm leaning towards French, because I got an A* at GCSE, and though I enjoyed English Lit, it was more to do with the teacher (fantastic very unorthodox teacher) than the subject, so I think I'd probably lose interest with a crap teacher.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm leaning towards French, because I got an A* at GCSE, and though I enjoyed English Lit, it was more to do with the teacher (fantastic very unorthodox teacher) than the subject, so I think I'd probably lose interest with a crap teacher.
    french is only good if you understand it. If you're planning on doing law then french is a good idea. I would think that most uni's would like a language for law...

ReputationRep:
    The reason I chose french was because I really enjoyed it at GCSE too . Tbh though I found french utterly boring and a bit pointless but the great thing about it is that you can lose interest and really neglect it during term time and still do well in the exam (if you understand all the fundamental principles) That said, I know quite a few people who enjoyed it as much as I hated it! Majority of students in my school enjoyed english lit though but I think it's quite a heavy workload compared to french...

ReputationRep:
    is economics a traditional subject?, as it would tie in with ur maths.

i would have thought law would be good, as u learn about things that are relevant in society

how about history?, does history require the same amt of writing as english lit?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

I've just had it pointed out to me that French is a must if you're thinking about ever emigrating to Canada - which I am...so I'll do French...I think

x-Laura-x <--Miss Indecisive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VampireWithSoul)

i would have thought law would be good, as u learn about things that are relevant in society

how about history?, does history require the same amt of writing as english lit?
    Law generally isn't that repected, especially if you want to do a law degree.

ReputationRep:

Thanks

x-Laura-x
    french.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VampireWithSoul)

I suppose it depends what you're doing it for. If its just for your own interest then Law would be good - because you'd learn the basic principles on which society is based (I would imagine:confused:) but I think its viewed along similar lines to Accountancy (and Media Studies!) by Universities, in that its not a traditional or vastly academic subject.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends what you're doing it for. If its just for your own interest then Law would be good - because you'd learn the basic principles on which society is based (I would imagine:confused:) but I think its viewed along similar lines to Accountancy (and Media Studies!) by Universities, in that its not a traditional or vastly academic subject.
    I don't understand...why are law and economics (does business studies fall into this category) so frowned upon universities? I mean wouldn't that put you a step ahead? Why do they prefer traditional subjects when it is apparent that they are not useful in your future life, unless your job is linked to that subject (my maths teacher says that only about 20%, if not less, of our studying in school is used in our future lives)? thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that studying law, economics or business at A level, would help u if u intend to study these subjects at university. Even though it would be a basic level, if u decide u dont like it at A level then u can change, whereas it would more difficult at university once u have started studying the subject

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.