Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I dont know whether anyone can help. I live in a shared student house (4 people), we've just had vrgin media tv, phone and broadband connected (this morning) and the installation guy told us that all we had to do was install the cd to set up the broadband. he didnt tell us that we have to connect the computers to the router directly.the other 3 people all have laptops so its not a problem for them, but i have a pc in my room so i cant connect it to the router because its downstairs in the living room.There arent any other options on the cd so im a bit stuck if i cant install the software. any ideas? it should be wireless so noone guessed we'd need to use a cable for the first time.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I think the CD just sets up your VM connection. It's easier to do this when wired as you don't need to go and set up the wireless security. Once connected, you no longer need the wired connection

You could use one of the laptops to do the initial set up (via wired - once you have finished that you can disconnect) then everyone else can connect to the wireless.

ReputationRep:
    You need to buy a usb wireless dongle for your computer or just buy a 20 meter Rj45 ethernet cable and connect it directly to the router.

I'd recommend the latter because it's much easier to get your pc on the internet and doesn't require you to install any kind of software.

ReputationRep:
    Install the CD on one of the laptops - all it does is set the router up initially. Once you've done this, you'll be able to connect to it via WiFi with no problem.

ReputationRep:
    You need a wifi card installed on your PC or a wireless dongle.

If it was Virgin Media, then it is probably a Netgear router? If so you will need a Netgear dongle, which looks like a USB stick and allows for wireless connection.

ReputationRep:
    ive already got a wireless thingy attached to my pc, im using it to connect to the internet that we already have (its the lanlords, he has moved out and he'll be cancelling it soon). so there isnt an issue with that, its just that the installtion cd wants me to connect to the router with the cable for the first time but i cant beause the router isnt near my computer. ill get someone to install it on their laptop and see what happens.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Why not move the PC to the router to connect for the first time then move it back?

ReputationRep:
    because its a pain in the arse! i will do it if i have to, but i dont wanna.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puma)
    You need a wifi card installed on your PC or a wireless dongle.

If it was Virgin Media, then it is probably a Netgear router? If so you will need a Netgear dongle, which looks like a USB stick and allows for wireless connection.
    You dont need a netgear dongle just because you have a netgear router actually...
    And on topic, I set up my mates one, and you only need the cable for setting it up, so use one of the laptops to set it up, then once set up, everyone will be able to connect wirelessly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    You dont need a netgear dongle just because you have a netgear router actually...
    And on topic, I set up my mates one, and you only need the cable for setting it up, so use one of the laptops to set it up, then once set up, everyone will be able to connect wirelessly.
    I know that.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Haha this reminds me of the time when I had a 10 metre RJ45 running from the lounge and up the stairs to my room, tripped my house mates up so many times.

ReputationRep:
    First of all put the virgin media cd in the bin, you don't need it.

All you have to do is have one of your housemates set up the wireless on the router using their laptop. Then you can connect with your computer (assuming you have a wifi card or router).

I recommend homeplugs though. Wireless is just a pain in the arse.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 11, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.