Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    last edited

ReputationRep:
    how are you predicted A* as AS? it doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python38)
    Warwick
    LSE
    King's
    Durham
    Bristol
    Nottingham
    Birmingham
    Newcastle
    S-ton
    Leicester
    Exeter

I'm applying having already taken 3 A-levels, and my grades were AAA. I'm taking an AS-level next year, too, and am predicted an A* in that. They will all have been in reputable subjects.

How much will not having or being predicted an A*AA affect my application, given that some other students will have this?

Any other universities you would recommend?
    Firstly, universities aren't taking into account A* predictions at all this year, even those who are asking for them in their offers. So any applicant who does have an A* prediction will only be on a par with those predicted an A. You particularly won't be disadvantaged because you've already done your A Levels, so they know it isn't possible for you to have an A*. I really don't think you will be disadvantaged at all.
    Secondly, you can only get an A* at A Level, not at AS. So if you really want an A*, you'll have to do AS and A2 in the same year.
    Finally, other universities... Oxbridge? I'm guessing that's out the question though as you haven't mentioned either... though with AAA you could still have a shot if the rest of your application was good. Urm... UCL, QMUL are both good London ones these days, and I'd put Manchester in your list as well. Cardiff also has a decent reputation for Law.
    Hope that helps :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to say that Python happens to have a good chance of getting into Oxford or Cambridge since she has AAA. I would strongly advise you to consider them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vik101)
    I just wanted to say that Python happens to have a good chance of getting into Oxford or Cambridge since she has AAA. I would strongly advise you to consider them.
    Someone doesn't have a good chance of getting into Oxbridge on the basis of already having AAA at A-Level, since that's the requirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Someone doesn't have a good chance of getting into Oxbridge on the basis of already having AAA at A-Level, since that's the requirement.
    Nice try at sounding clever there, I said she should apply to oxbridge not that she will be guaranteed a place simply because she has AAA. In her list of possible unis she didnt mention oxford or cambridge so I just suggested she should look at them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vik101)
    Nice try at sounding clever there, I said she should apply to oxbridge not that she will be guaranteed a place simply because she has AAA. In her list of possible unis she didnt mention oxford or cambridge so I just suggested she should look at them.
    It's not an attempt to sound clever, someone doesn't have a good chance of getting in just because they meet the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    I am also predicted A*AA and applying to KCL, QMUL, UCL, SOUTHAMPTON AND EXETER for M100 Law this year, I dont think being predicted an A* affects your application too much and besides admissions tutors also base an offer on your personal statement and ucas reference

ReputationRep:
    Hey, no need to argue, guys :p:

I'm applying to Cambridge as well; I just didn't mention it because I've already definitely decided I'm applying there.
    If you're not taking the AS to full A-Level you'll have to check whether you have an A* equivalent already, average of 90% in A2 modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    It's not an attempt to sound clever, someone doesn't have a good chance of getting in just because they meet the requirements.
    Well by my definition she has a good chance of getting in. I applied to oxford with AABB and got an offer. and since she already has AAA then I am within my rights to say that she does. End of.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, no need to argue, guys :p:

I'm applying to Cambridge as well; I just didn't mention it because I've already definitely decided I'm applying there.
    Cambridge ask for A* this year so i'm not sure what they would do if one of your A-levels aren't equivalent to the A* requirement at UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:excel4100%:.)
    Cambridge ask for A* this year so i'm not sure what they would do if one of your A-levels aren't equivalent to the A* requirement at UMS
    Cambridge have essentially asked for an A* prior to its implementation; in offers they would ask for relevant A2 modules to be above 90%.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol So far it's been absolutely amazing, 40 minute walk and all!

ReputationRep:
    Warwick
    LSE
    King's
    Durham
    Bristol
    Nottingham
    Birmingham
    Newcastle
    S-ton
    Leicester
    Exeter

I'm applying having already taken 3 A-levels, and my grades were AAA (UMS marks of around 80-85%). I'm taking an AS-level next year, too, and am predicted an A* in that. They will all have been in reputable subjects.

How much will not having or being predicted an A*AA affect my application, given that some other students will have this?

Any other universities you would recommend?
    You can't get A* at AS. Provided all your other qualifications, e.g. PS, GCSE, AS are up to par, you could go with Oxbridge, and any within the top 20.

BTW, STOP FISHING FOR COMPLIMENTS.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice - and, no, I wasn't fishing for compliments.
    My advice would be to contact Cambridge in regards to the A*.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.