Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Background: For past couple of years I've had protein with water. Therefore I'd just take a shaker in with the powder and find the nearest tap when I want it, easy, and what most people do.

Then: Over summer living with the rents meant I had the luxury of milk and so now I can't man up and bother having the protein with water. I purchased a magic bullet blender, and now mix the protein with milk/oats/bananas etc.

So: I was wondering, in the past I never pre-made them with milk as I was under the impression it goes clumpy after time? But, because I'm using a good blender, so it's smooth, would that work with milk? I mean I don't have to add oats or a banana if that wouldn't work, but if I could make a protein shake with milk in say an hour before the gym and then workout and have it there that would be great. Obviously wouldn't be ice cold or anything, although could blend some ice into it aswell.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattw89)
    Background: For past couple of years I've had protein with water. Therefore I'd just take a shaker in with the powder and find the nearest tap when I want it, easy, and what most people do.

Then: Over summer living with the rents meant I had the luxury of milk and so now I can't man up and bother having the protein with water. I purchased a magic bullet blender, and now mix the protein with milk/oats/bananas etc.

So: I was wondering, in the past I never pre-made them with milk as I was under the impression it goes clumpy after time? But, because I'm using a good blender, so it's smooth, would that work with milk? I mean I don't have to add oats or a banana if that wouldn't work, but if I could make a protein shake with milk in say an hour before the gym and then workout and have it there that would be great. Obviously wouldn't be ice cold or anything, although could blend some ice into it aswell.

Thanks.
    You should be fine to premix then by about an hour or two. Just probably not best to keep it in your bag the whole day not refrigerated.

According to something I read, protein shake's should be consumed within 30 minutes of mixing.

Also this should be in fitness, not fitness blog's.

ReputationRep:
    Aye my mistake, sorry I meant to put it in nutrition and supplements.

Yep I thought similar it has to be consumed pretty sharpish. I just thought (hoped) it might have been because manually mixing it doesn't blend it well enough so the powder kind of reforms and clumps etc. Just thought when I use an actual blender as it looks like a shake it might be able to last an hour or two.

I think its the chemical reaction's more than how it's mixed.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the easy solution is keep the milk in the shaker, take the powder in a little sammich bag then put them together and shake when needed? Obviously the time you can afford to have the milk out of the fridge limits this

ReputationRep:
    if you had enough space in your bag or whatever you could take a small carton of long life milk that's unopened (but has been in the fridge to make it cold) and then the blender and the protein powder seperate as mipegg said and then blend away?

personally i'm more interested to know where you got a magic bullet from! i didn't think they were on sale in the UK anymore? and the cost in america is sky high, no?
    (also i heard they're nowhere near as good as they seem on the adverts, is this true?)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.