Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dell has decided to add the quad-core i7 processor to the XPS 16. Combined with the 4670 ATI card, it is somewhat of a beast. I wonder if it has heat issues - as it seems like quite a thin laptop in comparison to machines such as m1730.

Link http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...N00X6501&s=dhs

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'm not sure there'll be many 'students' able to fork out nearly a grand and a half for a laptop. That said, if I ever came into possession of enough money to buy that beast... well...

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly an expert on processors, but every time people talk about them, they say a dual core with higher clock speed is better than a quad core because not much is multi core optimised. By that logic, this is pretty balls with its 1.60GHz.
    Im not saying it is, just saying by that logic...

ReputationRep:
    The i7 will not under perform the C2D's. It is 4 cores of 1.6ghz. Also, they have turbo boosters - which allow you to go into mid/high 2ghz values with it. You will not see a performance drop by investing in an i7. You may not see a huge difference in performance as well - sometimes none - but their are a lot of applications/games which will benefit from it - as well as in the future - as more things are going to be made quad core compatible.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.