Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know any independent IBs that offer internships/any form of undergraduate work exp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Anyonek now any independent IBs that offer internships/any form of undergraduate work exp?
    No small firms have anything structured in place (or very rarely), so you will have to cold call/email them your resume and probably offer to work for free. In terms of an actual list, it takes 2 minutes on google (and even less with the TSR search function) to find an extensive list of IB's.

ReputationRep:
    Whaaaa, you mean IB's aren't headhunting you already with that A+F degree?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    No small firms have anything structured in place (or very rarely), so you will have to cold call/email them your resume and probably offer to work for free. In terms of an actual list, it takes 2 minutes on google (and even less with the TSR search function) to find an extensive list of IB's.
    you mean a list of independent IBs? because I already have that, but I cba to email every single one asking about internships, that's why I posted on here

(Original post by Haz313)
    Whaaaa, you mean IB's aren't headhunting you already with that A+F degree?!
    Very funny, but I dont do A&F, what gave you that impression?

ReputationRep:
    I already have that, but I cba to email every single one asking about internships, that's why I posted on here
    You lazy piece of ****, do you actually think people will give up internship opportunities to a complete tool like yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    You lazy piece of ****, do you actually think people will give up internship opportunities to a complete tool like yourself?
    lolwut? what the f*** are you talking about, all I asked for was if anyone knew any independent IBs that offered internships, who said I was asking anyone to give up anything? and I'm not lazy, there are like hundreds of independent IBs, why waste hours of time emailing each one just to find out which ones offer work placemnets, when I could ask the intelligent, friendly, helpful members of TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Small firms do not usually need interns.
    In case they do, they will hire someone they know: one of the partners' nephew or whatever... just someone they have good references for and who is well connected. Why bother punting with a stranger?

If you wanna have a minimum chance, you'd better start networking like a *****.

And please do not offer to work for free. It's pathetic, usually illegal and in my opinion an embarrasment for both the employer and you (when he refuses your free lavour). Think about it, your are signalling how much you are worth. They prefer to spend a couple of thousands and get someone decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReverseConvertible)
    And please do not offer to work for free. It's pathetic, usually illegal and in my opinion an embarrasment for both the employer and you (when he refuses your free lavour). Think about it, your are signalling how much you are worth. They prefer to spend a couple of thousands and get someone decent.
    I got a 10 week Private Equity internship in my first year summer because I offered to work for free. They took me in to basically do grunt work but once you are there working it is not difficult to get involved in deals if people like you and see you can get stuff done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReverseConvertible)
    Small firms do not usually need interns.
    In case they do, they will hire someone they know: one of the partners' nephew or whatever... just someone they have good references for and who is well connected. Why bother punting with a stranger?

If you wanna have a minimum chance, you'd better start networking like a *****.
    It isn't all that difficult to network your way to some experience. Contact University alumni that are senior in their firm and they are generally willing to help.

One of the best ways to get experience in hedge funds, but don't expect to do anything particularly useful as you won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    I got a 10 week Private Equity internship in my first year summer because I offered to work for free. They took me in to basically do grunt work but once you are there working it is not difficult to get involved in deals if people like you and see you can get stuff done.
    at a boutique?

ReputationRep:
    at a boutique?
    It was a very small shop, def not a boutique in terms of Moelis/Lazard etc, so I actually sat next to two of the partners there and working with them everyday you develop a relationship which is the best way to network.

ReputationRep:
    if youre at cass come to the placements fair when its on

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know any independent IBs that offer internships/any form of undergraduate work exp?
    lolwut? what the f*** are you talking about, all I asked for was if anyone knew any independent IBs that offered internships, who said I was asking anyone to give up anything? .
    Yes I do. Several.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    Yes I do. Several.
    well then prove it.

ReputationRep:
    well then prove it.
    who said I was asking anyone to give up anything? and I'm not lazy,

give me a good reason why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    give me a good reason why.
    in the event that I do get an internship at firm you recommend, I promise to get a tattoo that says "KLL's *****" on my left butt cheek.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.