Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ..Black clouds & Silver linings
    What are your thoughts? I know it's not a brand new release but came out a few months back. I have to say I'm absolutely in love with this album, have been listening to it for the last few weeks and some songs just get better and better with time. My favourites:

The Count of Tuscany - progressive metal at its best, as always the solos in this are pure perfection. The tempo changes a lot and there is quite a range of styles buts somehow they all fit together and the 19:16 piece never gets boring.

Nightmare to Remember - This song has a lot of character, some amazing drumming and a lovely, slow and thoughtful intermezzo.

Odyssey - only on the special edition, a great riff, great musicianship.

As for the lyrics - more trivial and perhaps cliche in parts than you would expect from DT but not really that bad. I have read many bad reviews of this album and can't really understand what people are on about. I've been a DT fan for ages and sure, Images and words was fantastic but this is also new and exciting and maybe even more accomplished.

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed it, but it's weaker than quite a few of their other albums. I'd rank it ahead of Falling Into Infinity and When Dream and Day Unite.

I *love* The Count Of Tuscany, but in general I have a soft spot for really epic cheesy songs. I think they could have done a bit more with The Shattered Fortress than just rehashing the other 4 songs without adding much new material though. I dislike Wither, it's very bland for a DT song.

Wish I was going to see them live, but couldn't afford to travel to the UK for the Progressive Nation gigs

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its a good album but recently I've been listening to more and more Symphony X and DT has kind of taken a back seat..

ReputationRep:
    I saw them at Progressive Nation a few weeks ago. I turned up mainly looking forward to Opeth but DT's performance was equally awesome. :yep: I think BCASL's a brilliant album. I especially love the Count of Tuscany and A Nightmare to Remember. Scenes from a memory's still my favourite DT album though

ReputationRep:
    I like it But I really love Scenes From A Memory still. I loved that album

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty terrible compared to their other stuff, to be honest, but I've gone off metal since the last album. It just seems to have more drawn out, pointless "show-off" sections than usual, which sometimes takes things away from the songs. The lyrics are just terrible too.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you listen to Dream Theater when there are two perfectly good LTE albums without all that awful "singing"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majikthise)
    Why would you listen to Dream Theater when there are two perfectly good LTE albums without all that awful "singing"?
    The LTE stuff is also amazing..you don't have to ditch one to listen to the other

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.