The Student Room Group

Gap year - Making application more competitive

I have applied to read economics at 5 universities for 2010 entry but if i don't get into 3 of the 5 that i really want (3 from the top 5 of TAELT) i was thinking about taking a gap year and doing a further maths A level.

Will this make my application more competitive?(Assuming i get a very decent grade-[i got over 90% in AS maths]) What else could i be doing that would improve my chances even more? Do universities frown upon applicants doing another A level during gap years or not?
Reply 1
xerriva
I have applied to read economics at 5 universities for 2010 entry but if i don't get into 3 of the 5 that i really want (3 from the top 5 of TAELT) i was thinking about taking a gap year and doing a further maths A level.

Will this make my application more competitive?(Assuming i get a very decent grade-[i got over 90% in AS maths]) What else could i be doing that would improve my chances even more? Do universities frown upon applicants doing another A level during gap years or not?

Universities tend to like gap year students but it all depends on what you do during your gap year and showing how it makes you a better applicant. For example, if you decided to travel aboard you could say that you will come to university better prepared as you would have matured more and so on. Something along these lines and the admission tutors would love your application and can I ask why you stressing over of not getting in to the universities of your choice? Your grades seem decent, just make sure your personal statement is good as well and you should get your offers (hopefully). It’s best to ring up the admissions tutors and ask them their opinion on taking an A level during your gap year. Good luck:wink: .

Hope this helps:smile: .
Reply 2
xerriva

What are your AS subjects and actual grades?
What are your A2 subjects and predicted grades?
Reply 3
Paulwhy
What are your AS subjects and actual grades?
What are your A2 subjects and predicted grades?

Maths(A - >90%), Politics(A - >90%), Economics(A - >80%), Physics(A - >80%)

All same subjects for A2, predicted 2A*s and 2As - (A*s in subjects i got above 90% in)
Reply 4
xerriva
Maths(A - >90%), Politics(A - >90%), Economics(A - >80%), Physics(A - >80%)

All same subjects for A2, predicted 2A*s and 2As - (A*s in subjects i got above 90% in)

Doing FM might help. e.g. whilst Politics is related to Economics it is not the most respected A-level.

Latest

Trending

Trending