Turn on thread page Beta

"PETA - Protecting the creatures both real and virtual"

An interesting topic I think within gaming is how much animals are involved. I'll present the main points from an article from this months '360' magazine interviewing a representative from the animal rights group 'PETA' discussing this. Let us all know what you think about it and feel free to move into other related areas. Hopefully we'll get some decent opinions and discussion. :yy:

360: Do you think videogames have the potential to desensitise gamers to cruelty to animals in real life?

All forms of media have the potential to desensitise people to real-life cruelty to animals. Whether it's a videogame that shows a happy woman cooking an animal who suffered on a factory farm and died in a slaughterhouse, a television ad that features a chimpanzee 'actor' forced to perform acts that are unnatrual and confusing to him or her, or a film that features the 'it' dog breed of the moment but fails to address the horrific conditions at the puppy mill where he or she was born, all forms of media have the potential to desensitise or even to glorify cruelty to animals.
    360: What's your opinion about pet simulators such as Nintendogs and Tamigotchis? Do you think that they can prepare people for taking care of real pets?

No. Pet simulators are not realistic. Adopting an animal is a lifetime commitment, and caring for an animal is a major responsibility. Nintendogs will prepare you to be an animal's caretaker as Call of Duty will prepare you to be a soldier.
    360: Does PETA approve of anthropomorphic animal characters such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Mickey Mouse etc? Are such representations of animals healthy for children?

Giving animals human characteristics contributes to public misconseptions about them. It may encourage people to buy animals as companions when they don't know what the animals are really like, and people may be unable ir unwilling to properly care for them. We see this happening after every Hollywood hit that features anthropomorphic animal characters. People run out and buy the type of animal featured in the film, and after a few months they realise, "Hey, my fish isn'y quite like Nemo", and then they discard the animal. We do appriciate that in the original Sonic the Hedgehog games, Sonic was always fighting to free animals.
    Why this thread has been made
    I'm planning on choosing an article each month from a gaming magazine (it will probably be for the Xbox or PS3 because I don't have a Wii or PS3) which is relevant to all the platforms. I don't think there's much to debate and discuss about specific issues to games sometimes on this forum, so that's why I'll be doing this.

So into the nitty gritty of the article... I don't want to be bias when presenting it to you, so I'll just say it how it is until we begin to debate the issue.

ReputationRep:
    I think PETa need to look at themselves, their desensitizing people to pure idiocy both online and in real world

ReputationRep:
    No. Pet simulators are not realistic. Adopting an animal is a lifetime commitment, and caring for an animal is a major responsibility. Nintendogs will prepare you to be an animal's caretaker as Call of Duty will prepare you to be a soldier
    :rofl: That makes me wish someone could organise a debate between whoever PETA's rep there was, and someone who's a great advocate of stopping video-game violence like Jack Thompson. They're on about two totally separate things, but the PETA guy is saying "No, it's unrealistic and won't prepare you", while many anti-violence campaigners have been arguing for years that video games influence and condition people (normally kids, who are often too ****ing young to legally buy the games anyway). But then again, PETA might think that something like Bunny Blaster encourages people to shoot cute little bunny rabbits :ninja:

Some other stuff...
    Whether it's a videogame that shows a happy woman cooking an animal who suffered on a factory farm and died in a slaughterhouse
    I, uh, assume that PETA are on about this game which they actually created themselves? :ninja:

a film that features the 'it' dog breed of the moment but fails to address the horrific conditions at the puppy mill where he or she was born
    So are all dogs born in puppy mills with horrific living conditions? :confused:

PETA annoy me. I can appreciate the cause they stand for and all that, but I don't approve of their methods of getting their message across, which often end up being little more than scaremongering.

(Original post by Dalimyr)
    I, uh, assume that PETA are on about this game which they actually created themselves? :ninja:
    It was covered in another question:

We targeted Cooking Mama by making our own parody of the game, 'Cooking Mama The Unauthorized PETA Edition: Mama kills Animals'. While many of us at PETA love the Cooking Mama series, we wanted to let people know that as the world becomes more vegetarian-friendly, we think cooking games should too. We want everyone, including Majesco, to offer more cruelty-free, vegetarian options, whether in restaurants or in cooking games.
    Cooking Mama

I think that their intrusion is in short; annoying.

Personally, if I want to kill animals in a game or cook them it has absolutely no implications on whether or not I'd do it in real life... So PETA should stop intruding and let gamers enjoy what they can't do in real life.

ReputationRep:
    rofl

ReputationRep:
    PETA are retards. Anyone who gives PETA money is retarded. Anyone who thinks PETA respect animals is retarded.

Basically everything they say is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    The internet is much more to blame than video games, music (which was the last bandwagon) and action films (which is immune to bandwagons) for desensitizing us from gore and such.

However it's not to the extent where it changes us from 'normal' to 'psychopathic killer' or 'animal abuser'.

And I seriously doubt anybody bought Nintendogs to prepare them for owning a real dog.

Finally, if anyone thinks Sonic the Hedgehog or Crash Bandicoot are like or close to real hedgehogs and bandicoots, they are not human. Not even at 4 years old did anyone think that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 10, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.