Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what do you all think is a typical philosophy student? also do you think the field is more male or female dominated? i would have always said female but things seem to be different at my uni

ReputationRep:
    girls definitely

stereotypes: messy and disorganized but who always seem to do nothing and sit on things...Also having normal conversations with them that don't disintegrate into "are we real/is nothing something" don't exist.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought Philosophy was more male-orientated, since most of the Philosophers I've heard of/come across were male. :s:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I always think of philosophy as a more male-dominated subject, when in my experience its actually been fairly evenly split. Usually a bit dishevelled and disorganised, until you get them onto something philosophical when then will tear you apart piece by piece

ReputationRep:
    It's fairly evenly split at undergraduate level. Postgraduate, however...

ReputationRep:
    Well, here it seems to be pretty male-dominated. More girls than I thought there would be though.
    Generally, either really really well dressed (sometimes in attire that would look right in place 100 years ago), or a bit scruffy.
    Also, every person I've met so far with a real interest in philosophy seems to be a Radiohead fan 0.o
    And lots of people seem very determined to show off just how much they've read, as often as possible, not sure if that's a philosophy-specific thing or just a general set of students who like the sound of their own voice too much hah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penny_wishes)
    Well, here it seems to be pretty male-dominated. More girls than I thought there would be though.
    Generally, either really really well dressed (sometimes in attire that would look right in place 100 years ago), or a bit scruffy.
    Also, every person I've met so far with a real interest in philosophy seems to be a Radiohead fan 0.o
    And lots of people seem very determined to show off just how much they've read, as often as possible, not sure if that's a philosophy-specific thing or just a general set of students who like the sound of their own voice too much hah
    i've noticed this too, so annoing "is this similar to what plato says in the Republic which i have read sooooooooo many times" shut up and sit down!

ReputationRep:
    I think I met the typical, pretentious philosophy student one day in Manchester. I was going up an esclater in the main shopping centre when I turned round to ask a rather tweedy young chap the time...

'Have you the time?' I asked, inncocently.
    'That's a stupid question', he began, 'no one can 'have' time. It's not a tangible thing, you know.'
    'Erm... cheers.'

True story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2562)
    I think I met the typical, pretentious philosophy student one day in Manchester. I was going up an esclater in the main shopping centre when I turned round to ask a rather tweedy young chap the time...

'Have you the time?' I asked, inncocently.
    'That's a stupid question', he began, 'no one can 'have' time. It's not a tangible thing, you know.'
    'Erm... cheers.'

True story.
    That's awesome, going to do that the next time I get asked that.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.