The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jonty99
Because loads of people applying are intelligent. they have to reject intelligent people. Having said that, of course nobody on here can tell whether a UKCAT score between 600 and 630 would get you rejected.

But some are more than others? But a better ukcat score would overshadow that?
Reply 21
Don'twannagetcybermerked.
Would medical schools esp. Dundee, Southampton and King's College London reject a candidate with a perfect academic record (perhaps 7A* GCSE, AAAAA AS Level, AAA A2 prediction) purely because of a low UKCAT score (600-630)? Does the UKCAT mean that much? Does a useless test play such a big part in the application process. A lot of stuff has been said about King's College and their UKCAT rules (only 650+), but do you really think they'd do that to a academically perfect candidate? So they would accept a candidates with lower academics (A few As and Bs all round) in favour of a very high UKCAT?

If it's being used in the selection process, it's hardly useless is it? =P

I went to the University of London Open Days and spoke to some people from King's and apparently they have a UKCAT cut off score of 2400. But that was last year, so it might change this year - all depends on the scores of this year's applicants. And I don't really think 600 - 630 is THAT low of a score... it's still in the average range, isn't it?

Although I think they would look at everything overall, so if you're a candidate with ridiculously high grades they probably would still interview despite a low UKCAT score.

But I don't know for sure; I'm not an admissions tutor. Email them or something :P
But some are more than others? But a better ukcat score would overshadow that?

You need to get over yourself, many other applicants will have a string of As - you won't be the only one! :facepalm:

If they take into account the UKCAT scores, then of course there would be some weighing between the two - how much? Nobody knows!
Kytiane
If it's being used in the selection process, it's hardly useless is it? =P

I went to the University of London Open Days and spoke to some people from King's and apparently they have a UKCAT cut off score of 2400. But that was last year, so it might change this year - all depends on the scores of this year's applicants. And I don't really think 600 - 630 is THAT low of a score... it's still in the average range, isn't it?

Although I think they would look at everything overall, so if you're a candidate with ridiculously high grades they probably would still interview despite a low UKCAT score.

But I don't know for sure; I'm not an admissions tutor. Email them or something :P

ah UoL open day! i missed it. was it good? erm, i have emailed and phoned them :wink:
LetoKynes
You need to get over yourself, many other applicants will have a string of As - you won't be the only one! :facepalm:

If they take into account the UKCAT scores, then of course there would be some weighing between the two - how much? Nobody knows!

when did i say i was the only one?
I hope an admissions tutor from one of those medical schools comes across this thread and reads the title :p:

:rofl: Would be hilarious.
Reply 26
ok this thread has derailed from my original intention. Which was to see if medical schools would really reject an good candidate (academically) because of a bad ukcat?

Your nothing special compared to the hundreds of other applicants with the same or better grades, only you have a low ukcat and some of those wont so yea, they will reject you based off it...
Reply 27
ah UoL open day! i missed it. was it good? erm, i have emailed and phoned them :wink:

How do you know that anyone on TSR has a better answer to your question than the admissions office?:confused:
Reply 28
exactly
nfixlol isn't even applying to medicine...

look, 'sufficing' isn't what you should be going for, you should be trying to be the best candidate there is, because let's face it most successful medicine applicants are geniuses who work their arses off to get in.

a low ukcat score doesn't exactly scream that you're one of these people - but it doesn't necessarily mean that you're not, you could have had a bad day. but that's tough, and you will need to work **** loads to make up for that. also perfect academic records are more of a pre-requisite than a deciding factor, it would seem

and no, i'm not applying to medicine but i know a lot of people that are, and a couple of them are quite worried about getting anally rejected because they only got 670-680 on their ukcats :colonhash:
Nfixlol
look, 'sufficing' isn't what you should be going for, you should be trying to be the best candidate there is, because let's face it most successful medicine applicants are geniuses who work their arses off to get in.

a low ukcat score doesn't exactly scream that you're one of these people - but it doesn't necessarily mean that you're not, you could have had a bad day. but that's tough, and you will need to work **** loads to make up for that. also perfect academic records are more of a pre-requisite than a deciding factor, it would seem

and no, i'm not applying to medicine but i know a lot of people that are and are quite worried about getting anally rejected because they only got 670-680 on their ukcats :colonhash:

meh i always though work exp was quality not quantity
For medicine, 7A*s is hardly a perfect acadaemic record :rolleyes:

I think you might have to face the reality that there will be applicants who are more intelligent and have a better acadaemic record and a higher UKCAT score.
Reply 31
Undulipodium

I think you might have to face the reality that there will be applicants who are more intelligent and have a better acadaemic record and a higher UKCAT score.

^

Exhibit A, OP :rolleyes:
Reply 32

Yeah, t'was pretty good... Got to look around UCL, St. George's, Kings and found out lots of useful information about them all... not to mention the chance to talk directly to admissions tutors... The medical school and facilities at Kings were amazing... It was the open day that made me decide to apply to Kings instead of UCL (:
meh i always though work exp was quality not quantity

There's only so much you can learn from a Hospital/GP Work experience. Saying that, I only did mine in a hospital! :p:
Undulipodium

Ha!

Awesome academics! :wink:

10X better than mine! :p:
Chunkeymonkey62
There's only so much you can learn from a Hospital/GP Work experience. Saying that, I only did mine in a hospital! :p:

for me, hospital was 100x better than gp :p:
Kytiane
Yeah, t'was pretty good... Got to look around UCL, St. George's, Kings and found out lots of useful information about them all... not to mention the chance to talk directly to admissions tutors... The medical school and facilities at Kings were amazing... It was the open day that made me decide to apply to Kings instead of UCL (:

:cool: wow, really? then again i havent been to ucl. good luck!
Nfixlol

and no, i'm not applying to medicine but i know a lot of people that are, and a couple of them are quite worried about getting anally rejected because they only got 670-680 on their ukcats :colonhash:

Your friends are worrying too much. Perfect academics aren't a prerequisite at all... they help a LOT, but you don't HAVE to have them.
Reply 38
:cool: wow, really? then again i havent been to ucl. good luck!

Thanks, you too :smile:
Reply 39
Would medical schools esp. Dundee, Southampton and King's College London reject a candidate with a perfect academic record purely because of a low UKCAT score ? Does the UKCAT mean that much? Does a useless test play such a big part in the application process. A lot of stuff has been said about King's College and their UKCAT rules (only 650+), but do you really think they'd do that to a academically perfect candidate? So they would accept a candidates with lower academics (A few As and Bs all round) in favour of a very high UKCAT?
i put examples to make people understand but its not working tbh

dundee - no, it's only a small part of the deal

Latest

Trending

Trending