The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Nfixlol
look, 'sufficing' isn't what you should be going for, you should be trying to be the best candidate there is, because let's face it most successful medicine applicants are geniuses who work their arses off to get in.

a low ukcat score doesn't exactly scream that you're one of these people - but it doesn't necessarily mean that you're not, you could have had a bad day. but that's tough, and you will need to work **** loads to make up for that. also perfect academic records are more of a pre-requisite than a deciding factor, it would seem

and no, i'm not applying to medicine but i know a lot of people that are, and a couple of them are quite worried about getting anally rejected because they only got 670-680 on their ukcats :colonhash:

I got 677.5, and I thought this was considered a good score!? :s-smilie: :confused:
Reply 41
lekky
I got 677.5, and I thought this was considered a good score!? :s-smilie: :confused:

It IS a good score :smile:
They can be fineckty as they like, depending on the calibre of other candidates I would guess. To what extent it is used, I am not entirely sure.
Let's say, Kings has a very big penis.
lekky

It is. His friends are clearly worrying far too much.
Reply 45
if you are academically perfect then why are you claming to be weak at the BMAT.
Reply 46
Undulipodium
For medicine, 7A*s is hardly a perfect acadaemic record :rolleyes:

I think you might have to face the reality that there will be applicants who are more intelligent and have a better acadaemic record and a higher UKCAT score.

if this isnt sarcasm, then its an example of a post that everyone would do well to ignore completely.

if its sarcastic, then good on you, macca!
Reply 47
Gizmo!
if this isnt sarcasm, then its an example of a post that everyone would do well to ignore completely.

if its sarcastic, then good on you, macca!

What's to be sarcastic about? For Medicine 7 A*s ISN'T perfect - it's pretty average. There are people who will do a lot better, since the OP's UKCAT score is 630 there clearly will be people with a better score, and since she's making a big fizz chances are that there are applicants who are more intelligent than she is.
Bekaboo
What's to be sarcastic about? For Medicine 7 A*s ISN'T perfect - it's pretty average. There are people who will do a lot better, since the OP's UKCAT score is 630 there clearly will be people with a better score, and since she's making a big fizz chances are that there are applicants who are more intelligent than she is.

Precisely.
Reply 49
Bekaboo

I'm not entirely convinced that a 'better' score naturally means more intelligence...but then lets not rehearse the same tired old arguments.
Reply 50
Bekaboo

OMG. you arent being sarcastic either. TSR is so full of sukwits, its unbelievable.

or maybe its just that medicin attracts such peeple, i dunno.
but you're quite old for showing such stupidity! just goes to show age is not always a factor when it comes to being blinkered.
Reply 51
Undulipodium
Precisely.

you ave no idea of ow precisely you mek yourself look a suckwit then?
Reply 52
Gizmo!
OMG. you arent being sarcastic either. TSR is so full of sukwits, its unbelievable.

or maybe its just that medicin attracts such peeple, i dunno.
but you're quite old for showing such stupidity! just goes to show age is not always a factor when it comes to being blinkered.

How is it stupidity???

The average GCSEs for Medicine ARE about 7 A*s. Honestly, check admissions statistics if you like. So the AP is not miles and miles out in front of everyone else, she is pretty much EXACTLY in the middle and there WILL be people with MUCH better grades and UKCAT scores than her. I'm not saying that those people will necessarily have an advantage, since interviews do play a big part in Medicine admissions, but can you explain to me precisely how it is that I'm being stupid in reiterating the fact that, by Medicine standards, the OP's academic record is not "perfect" it is AVERAGE?
Bekaboo
How is it stupidity???

The average GCSEs for Medicine ARE about 7 A*s. Honestly, check admissions statistics if you like. So the AP is not miles and miles out in front of everyone else, she is pretty much EXACTLY in the middle and there WILL be people with MUCH better grades and UKCAT scores than her. I'm not saying that those people will necessarily have an advantage, since interviews do play a big part in Medicine admissions, but can you explain to me precisely how it is that I'm being stupid in reiterating the fact that, by Medicine standards, the OP's academic record is not "perfect" it is AVERAGE?

Offtopic, kind of. But do you know where I can find these admissions statistics?
Bekaboo
How is it stupidity???

The average GCSEs for Medicine ARE about 7 A*s. Honestly, check admissions statistics if you like.
So the AP is not miles and miles out in front of everyone else, she is pretty much EXACTLY in the middle and there WILL be people with MUCH better grades and UKCAT scores than her. I'm not saying that those people will necessarily have an advantage, since interviews do play a big part in Medicine admissions, but can you explain to me precisely how it is that I'm being stupid in reiterating the fact that, by Medicine standards, the OP's academic record is not "perfect" it is AVERAGE?

I think YOU need to go check admissions statistics, to be perfectly honest, before you continue to make yourself look like a fool.
RollerBall
I think YOU need to go check admissions statistics, to be perfectly honest, before you continue to make yourself look like a fool.

Unless she's just talking about Oxbridge, which would be about correct...but she isn't :confused: Do you know where the statistics are?
Reply 56
RollerBall

Well the two I'm familiar with are Oxford, who I believe at some point asked for a minimum of 7 A*s and Bristol who did something similar. A quick google tells me that Birmingham is the same. According to TSR the Cardiff 'threshold' with A*s being worth 3 points and As 2 is about 20, which would suggest maybe 5A*s needed with a few As, although that would obviously depend on the number taken.

Am I missing something?
Bekaboo
Well the two I'm familiar with are Oxford, who I believe at some point asked for a minimum of 7 A*s and Bristol who did something similar. A quick google tells me that Birmingham is the same. According to TSR the Cardiff 'threshold' with A*s being worth 3 points and As 2 is about 20, which would suggest maybe 5A*s needed with a few As, although that would obviously depend on the number taken.

Am I missing something?

You're missing the other 29 medical schools.

And Cardiffs is four A*s for the first time this year. Year before was 3. No where near 5.

I have no idea how you are trying to argue the odds here when you are BLATENTLY talking out of your ass. You are basing your assumptions on anecdotal evidence from Oxford, Bham and Bristol. The few medical schools known to be GCSE nazis.
Reply 58
RollerBall
You're missing the other 29 medical schools.

And Cardiffs is four A*s for the first time this year. Year before was 3. No where near 5.

I have no idea how you are trying to argue the odds here when you are BLATENTLY talking out of your ass. You are basing your assumptions on anecdotal evidence from Oxford, Bham and Bristol. The few medical schools known to be GCSE nazis.

Well then I apologise. I guess I just assumed that since the Medical schools don't show that much variation in the A-levels they asked for that it would be a similar case for GCSEs :dontknow: I still stand by my point that the OP doesn't have a perfect academic record though.

That said, I'd also just like to ask whether these "minimum requirements" show any correlation with actual applicants and offers, which is what I was talking about. I would be very interested to see if the average person getting a place at Cardiff really does have 4 A*s, or if a fair number of those don't actually get places.
Reply 59
Bekaboo

Am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing the general admissions statistics of Oxford?

About 55% of applicants hold 6A* or more. So the other 45% don't which by my reckoning, means that 45% hold 0-5 A*

They also state, that they collect GCSE results for the school, to see how applicants results relate to the quality of the school.

The BMAT and GCSE's can weigh each other out, with the BMAT's separate sections given their own individual weighting. (Section 1/2: 40% each, Section 3: 20%.)

So yes, the statistics show that on average you would need 70% of your GCSE's at A*, but a sizeable amount of applicants got in without anywhere near that number.

So before people actually start piping up and waxing lyrical about their knowledge of the admissions system, it might be better to actually have researched it in depth.

Latest

Trending

Trending