Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    All my life I've had a passion for computers, I'm absolutely fascinated by them and if I could would spend my entire life working with 'em

Even though I'm only in Year 12, I'm already looking forward to uni's as I have a pretty firm idea on what I want to do; games development of some kind.

And don't take this as a big-headed statement, but I know alot of people entering into that industry these days aren't the sharpest of the bunch. I've taken Maths, Chemistry, Physics and CISCO (Computer networking and infrastructure) for A Level and my targets aim at A's and A*'s..

So far I've spotted a course at Hull University which is Computer Science with Games Develoment as a Masters Engineering degree..

And while the Masters is very appealing, I've spent alot of time looking around.. Especially at the Guardian's university list.. Hull isn't exactly very high in the tables and I'm worried about what the university is like.. Is the course as good as it seems, or am I just hoping too high? Would taking computer science at one of the top 10 uni's be more beneficial? Or just settle for what I enjoy (gaming ) and risk it being a bit rough in the Hull area?

My parents laughed when I said I was planning on going to Hull.. Hence the uncertainty about it

Anyone offer a review of Hull, or any words of advice?

Much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    if you can get A grades in those subjects then definitely go for the top 10 unis for computer science if not then hull is decent uni for you

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing, if I only wanted to take Computer Science I'd go to one of those top uni's.. If they'd take me..

But that's not what I'm after. I'm after a combined degree of Computer Science with Games Development. Which, at the moment, only exists at Hull University.

Just curious if anyone had any reviews on Hull, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imson)
    if you can get A grades in those subjects then definitely go for the top 10 unis for computer science if not then hull is decent uni for you
    Nah thats just not good advice, Computer Science is just not specific enough for Games Development. Sure he could go and do Computer Science but he would be making life harder for himself as he would then need to self teach the other Games related stuff he would need to know.

OP, If you are set on working in the games industry a specific degree will put you in a much better position. The course will be much more related to the skills needed for games development and there will probably be good links with industry etc.

As an aside, I dont know anything about Hull, never heard of it before tbh but I do know that other Universitys offer similar courses. My University is Queens University Belfast and it offers MEng Games Programming, you take the important Computer Science modules with extra games modules, its meant to be a much more challanging course than Computer Science. Queens is a good Russell group University and I can fully recomend the computer department.

ReputationRep:
    That looks like a really good course Thanks very much!

I've got no worries about going away from home for uni, none at all so I'll have to consider it. Only concern is, what if the games industry collapses and I'm left out in the cold? That's why I wanted to do Computer Science at the same time..

What is CS exactly? From what I've heard, it's 'using computers to solve problems' and some other random jargon. Care to fill me in? :P

Thanks again

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.