The Student Room Group

Mathematics : University 2010

I am applying to do Mathematics at university starting September 2010. So far, I have chosen to apply to Warwick, Bath, York and Lancaster.. but I need to choose a fifth one.
In my AS levels I got 4A's, in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology, and I'm predicted A's in all my A Level subjects this year which are Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. I am also planning to take the STEP Paper next June.
The four universities I have chosen, I feel are all good and well respected for maths, so should I choose an insurance university with grades such as BBB, or opt for another well respected maths university for higher grades.
Any advice would be helpful, Thank you.
I chose my 5th university because the prospectus said it would give anybody doing further maths an offer of ABC or BBB instead of ABB but is still a really good university. Don't apply to a "worse" university just to avoid getting 5 rejections, if you aren't committed to going there, don't bother. An enforced gap year is probably better than spending three years at a university that you don't really like.

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry too, high five!
Yes. You really could do with a roughly BBB uni, correct me if I'm wrong but all those unis have high entry requirements. Yeah? Personally I'd rather apply for a less entry requirement uni than risk getting no offers, or failing to get the grades and having to possibly take a gap year! Have a look in the maths uni applicants thread :smile:
I'd recommend trying for Cambridge. If you're predicted AAA, you should get into most if not all of the others easily.

Also, ask your school if you can do AEA Maths as well as STEP for Warwick. It's a hell of a lot easier.
Reply 4
Pork and Beans
I'd recommend trying for Cambridge. If you're predicted AAA, you should get into most if not all of the others easily.

Also, ask your school if you can do AEA Maths as well as STEP for Warwick. It's a hell of a lot easier.
On 10 October when the deadline is 15 October? I think not.
sheffield is ABC and they are good for maths
Reply 6
Minerva
On 10 October when the deadline is 15 October? I think not.

Why not?

You do not need anything specific in the PS just because it is Cambridge (or Oxford for that matter). You need a good PS with relevant content for any top university, focused on academics (when it is for maths).

OP: Personally I know that I'd want to go to a university where I expect to be challenged from the start. If you are predicted straight A's and believe there is a good chance you will actually get this I don't see much point in applying to BBB/lower unis, unless you absolutely love the place, or the option of a gap year is completely impossible.
Reply 7
xx-becky1992-xx
I am applying to do Mathematics at university starting September 2010. So far, I have chosen to apply to Warwick, Bath, York and Lancaster.. but I need to choose a fifth one.
In my AS levels I got 4A's, in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology, and I'm predicted A's in all my A Level subjects this year which are Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. I am also planning to take the STEP Paper next June.
The four universities I have chosen, I feel are all good and well respected for maths, so should I choose an insurance university with grades such as BBB, or opt for another well respected maths university for higher grades.
Any advice would be helpful, Thank you.

With your grades (assuming good GCSEs), unless there's a specific reason for doing so, I'd advise you not to apply to York or Lancaster, but to instead aim for something like Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL/King's/Bristol/Durham/Manchester. Perhaps leave York as your fifth choice.
Reply 8
i agree with your AS grades being very good. UCL, Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester, Loughbourgh, Imperial would all be as good options. also with your grades and a good PS its very likely you will get offers.
I think you're not confident enough with what you can achieve. Get rid of Lancaster and consider what Swayum has said (probably in that order, though I would move UCL and King's lower down the list).

Imperial require As in all Maths modules without resits, however, so if you haven't achieved that so far, then don't apply there.
if you ask imperial directly i think you can resit if there is a valid reason why you got a low grade such as not being taught the whole module. also UCL is not very good for Maths so i you should rather consider Manchester and Bristol
Reply 11
Why all the hate for Lancaster?

Latest