The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Eh, we're as bad as each other. Just as messy and unkempt when it comes to matters of the kitchen. We should sort it out, but we can't be arsed to.
Reply 21
Pretty tidy. I'm usually the first who feels inclined to clean the kitchen but everyone generally tidies up after themselves. Great success!
I've got en-suite so its all good for me :biggrin: But yeah my housemates aren't dirty at all. The only thing I would talk about is the kitchen bin - not always tidy when I see it!
Reply 23
wintersunset
let's tell each other about our housemate's habits, especially in the kitchen and bathroom, whether filthy or just irritating (like reversed toilet rolls).

i guess mine are not too bad, i don't share a toilet and i'm glad; i imagine it would be a lot worse if i did.

one or more of them dip wet spoons into the sugar jar, creating lumps and making it smell rancid. i now use my own personal sugar reserve.

by the side of the sink where the dishes are dried, i always notice they are never rinsed. they leave them there with soap water (which they used to clean them with) on them.

forgotten and expired items in the fridge, sometimes when i open it, it smells like a postmortem room. i was checking the dates of some moldy cheeses and green meats, and some of them had been there since the start of the term.

overflowing bin. when i top it, i take it out, but if there's already trash falling out of it i'm not going to because someone else should have. which means it stays there until the cleaners empty it and we pay a fine.

sharing certain things. i mean i don't mind sharing, but like i wouldn't share a toothbrush i don't want to share chopping boards (some some of them don't even clean them, much like the entire worktop) and things.

i consider my self lucky after hearing about things that occur in some of the other flats.

:zomg: you're the only clean and neat male stoner i know apart from myself :five:
We're all untidy but very clean. I nuked the kitchen earlier, I'd be happy to eat off the floor!

There's only five of us in the house so its not too bad. We tend to all muck in :biggrin:
Only two things have seriously annoyed me this past fortnight.

1) The fact that my 4 litre bottle of Ribena (I don't drink tea/coffee) disappeared after a whole bunch of people made snakebites in the kitchen while I was ill (I wouldn't mind but they had bought their own fruit shoots ffs)

2) My baking tray has disappeared. This is currently seriously irritating me. I want oven chips damnit! I think one of the girls stole it when they went home for a weekend. *suspicious eyes*

Oh, and I wash up/rinse with cold water as the mood takes me, I also don't rinse off soapy water unless it's glasses/cutlery - is it really such a big deal? I'm not dead :s-smilie:. It's not actually too bad in our flat, we're not super tight, but at the same time everyone washes up their stuff...eventually.
Reply 26
There's one girls who's into some right kinky stuff...
My flatmates are actually really good, bar a couple who don't wash up straight after they've eaten. However I have been to another flat (in more expensive accommodation) and found myself washing up their stuff because their kitchen was actually a biohazard. I don't lecture people on kitchen cleanliness but some people are going to end up seriously ill if they don't sort it out.
Reply 28
Nice and clean. :h: One thing I hate about visiting my family is seeing them act like pigs.
Reply 29
Starwave
There's one girls who's into some right kinky stuff...

Care to elaborate?

Our toilets showers and kitchen is cleaned every weekday. Showers and toilets tend to be okay.

Our kitchen is a bombsite though, some food must have been there several days. There is 3 day old vodka jelly, 3 day old curry. Week old fried potato. Food left out, some people wash and keep stuff in their rooms now its so bad, an empty sink is a rarity. We have flies in there now. The culpruts don't seem to care, but I shall make them care *evil laugh*

We have had 2 warnings in 2 weeks about it. Now the cleaners don't seem to give a damn.
Reply 30
One won't wipe the sides after preparing food so they go all sticky, and we have a washing up rota but we have to remind them every time that it's their turn. (Why do you think we brought one in in the first place... they never washed up one plate in the first 3 weeks. And they use the most pots and mugs etc). They'll never clean the communal areas/stick to the cleaning rota either.
So it's more of an annoyance issue... they will actually eat things you've bought for yourself infront of you. Or say 'can I cook this' about your food or whatever and pretend not to have heard your 'No you CANNOT actually.' When we do the food shopping we'll get to divide the bill and find that they've put a lot of expensive things in sneakily (sauces, seasoning, etc) and stuff that only they like but refuses to acknowledge the rest of us don't like it. However badly I'm thought of for saying this, I'm going to add.. that she is very overweight. But she thinks she is not.

She barges into your room (I've never been in hers), or demands to know what we're talking about if she turns up halfway through a conversation. Stupid things like when you wake up and go down for breakfast she'll emerge from her room to sit down with me while I eat breakfast, even if she's already had hers, or when I hang my washing out she'll come outside while I hang my clothes out!! If you think she's just trying to be sociable in actual fact as soon as it's the afternoon she shuts herself up in her room and only emerges for food. We all feel like she is still a stranger to us.

And I know you might think it's easy to just say 'stop! I've had enough!', but it's a sensitive issue.. at first they were really homesick and their birthday. And now she thinks everyone is the best of friends and it's quite awkward, when the rest of us are wondering how to still live together without her next year (she's doing the same course as me)...

And if the loo roll goes they'll not mention we need anymore if they were the person to finish it. Arghh!

I thought I was bad before I came to uni. My mum told me I would drive everyone up the wall!! But I didn't think anyone this bad could exist, actually. Clearly they don't think they're annoying and I am justified in saying I think she's naive. These things might sound pathetic but living with it drives you up the wall. The others are lovely.. but yes one is like the housemate from hell in both the dirty and annoying factor! I actually need advice!
Reply 31
My housemates are all lovely and clean :biggrin: especially one girl, who is rarely without a cleaning instrument in her hand XD Makes SUCH a nice change from last year, when I was constantly:

-Reminding people it was their turn to empty the bins/taking them out when it wasn't my turn
-Having to heave cupboards full of dishes out of the sink so I could get in to wash
-Chucking away mouldy foods several months past their expiry date (I once came across milk that ad expired in November. It was March (or something) when I found it. IK!
-Using the dining table to prepare food rather than the kitchen surface as I actually feared for my health
-Constantly having to throw away smelly/mouldy/rancid cloths. I have a horrible feeling people were using these to wash their dishes even when they smelled D:
My flatmates this year are fine, but the ones in my first year were absolute pigs.

They never washed up their used dishes, pans or cutlery until they literally had nothing left to use, and sometimes when they didnt, rather than cleaning their things they would just use someone elses....and then let that fester too.

They would leave half eaten meals sitting on the side for days until they could be bothered to move it. Their dishes (sometimes with food still on) would sit in the sink for up to a week, which resulted in the kitchen sink constantly being full, stinking and blocked. It was often so full that I had to actually take things out to be able to wash my own dishes.

One day I came back from lectures wanting to make some food and literally every inch of the workspace and dining table was covered in plates, pans, food etc. There was no preperation room at all. There were noodles on the carpet which had been trodden in and 2 cups on the window ledge that were growing mould.

Someone also cooked once and left a huge pool of fat in the bottom of the oven and didnt bother to clean it, which meant that when the oven got hot the fat would smoke and the fire alarm would go off. Out of principle, I refused to clean it and as a result ended up not being able to cook a hot meal for a week! After that I was so starving that I had to clean it, it was putrid. Of course, everyone else denied knowledge of it.
Everyone else also seems oblivious to the fact that the bin didnt empty itself.

I hated those people so much, it gets supringly depressing coming home to a horrible stinky revolting kitchen everyday. Especially when you dont even have room to prepare your meals, and you cant use equipment because someone else has left it in such a state. I dread to think what it would have been like if Id have had to share a bathroom with them aswell. Id have likely contracted the plague :biggrin:

Edit: Reading the post above mine reminded me of other things too! Mostly the fact that one girl inparticular had the most rancid tea towells you could imagine. They were used to wipe up every spill and so on regardless of where it was, floor, bin, work surface, fridge, you name it. This tea towell wasnt washed once throughout the entire year that I noticed and it got so dirty and stinky that at one point I actually thought someone had vomitted in the kitchen but I just couldnt find it. Whats worse is that she seemed oblivious to the fact that it was quite so nasty, she still used it to dry her dishes when she eventually washed up! Me and my other clean flatmate were so disgusted by the tea towell at one point that we picked it up with some tongs and threw it out the window.
The lads in our houseshare don't ever lift a finger. Me and the two girls have spent a whole day cleaning the kitchen, hoovering, and they've watched us over their laptops.

It's annoying how some lads are brought up to believe they don't need to do crap if females are there like silly mugs to do it for them.
ummm no one hoovers which may not seem a big deal but when things stick to your feet its just not nice...

washing up is sometimes left for ages

cooker is constantly filthy and as i dont really use the hob im not cleaning it

glasses are constantly left

but the bin and the worktops are my biggest annoyance...
Reply 35
timetokill
One day I came back from lectures wanting to make some food and literally every inch of the workspace and dining table was covered in plates, pans, food etc.

same but to be honest the work top isn't large, today it was covered and that was pretty much just drying dishes, so i used the table (initially covered in club leaflets you get bombarded with all the time here, they even slide them under your door) to cut my chicken. usually it's ok though because i eat either microwavable stuff and pizzas, or snacks that i keep here in my room.
You lot sound demented. I like things clean but I don't write a 500 word essay about it at 3 in the morning.

Wishing you happy panic attack when someone sneezes on your plate, stoner boy. You sound like a nutter.
wintersunset
same but to be honest the work top isn't large, today it was covered and that was pretty much just drying dishes, so i used the table (initially covered in club leaflets you get bombarded with all the time here, they even slide them under your door) to cut my chicken. usually it's ok though because i eat either microwavable stuff and pizzas, or snacks that i keep here in my room.

We had quite alot of space, so it was even worse. Even the dining table was piled high with stuff, it was horrible.
I ended up living on snacks alot of the time too because the kitchen just made me feel sick. The amount of threats we had about fines was beyond a joke. The only time I actually saw them clean properly was on the afternoon we were having an inspection because we had had a warning the week before about the state of the place.
Reply 38
Melissa0000
You lot sound demented. I like things clean but I don't write a 500 word essay about it at 3 in the morning.

Wishing you happy panic attack when someone sneezes on your plate, stoner boy. You sound like a nutter.

you just reminded me about this guy who doesn't defrost his meat.

and i wrote that earlier today, but why is time relevant anyway?
Reply 39
quite!

Latest

Trending

Trending