Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Taking over from BubblesDeMilo's thread..
    Does private school prepare you well enough for life?
    Usually there isn't a diverse range of ethnicity, class, religion and etc. which is unlike the university and most job fields..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krazybob)
    Usually there isn't a diverse range of ethnicity, class, religion and etc. which is unlike the university and most job fields..
    how many private schools have you been to, to feel like you can make a generalisation like that? :holmes:

the only such generalisation you can make is that there isn't a huge range of different income groups, that's it. the rest is not true at all :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Depends what kind of life you're preparing for. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Because only white Christians go to private schools, and they all live in bubbles - only coming into contact with other white, middle class christians. I mean, it's not like they could ever have friends that go to state-schools, and everyone knows that non-white people are dirt-poor and can't afford private schools, and are so stupid they can't get scholarships, right? Right?

ReputationRep:
    Private school is a bubble... a happy bubble but a bubble all the same particuarly boarding school....

ReputationRep:
    Really? At my run of the mill state school 90%+ of us were white, middle class, nominally Christian just because the area was like. At the school my friend teaches at the vast vast majority of her kids are south-asian and it's very muslim heavy. At the school I worked in last year it was still white-heavy but there were a handful of Oriental kids in every year, a handful of brown kids, a handful of black kids (in a year of 70 probably 20 in total weren't white). There were some real rich kids, but also plenty there on scholarships. Again the majority were nominally Christian but there was a flourishing J-Soc and the odd few Muslims.

Firstly, I don't think it makes much of a difference. And secondly, since my boys seemed to manage just fine with girls despite it being an all girl school, I imagine that even if it had been all white they wouldn't have had a breakdown whenever they met someone of a different ethnicity. I mean does it really take "experience" to know how to act around people from different backgrounds? Yeah I said a few stupid things when I started uni and had the piss ripped by a guy from London I was friends with (e.g. not knowing what a muezzin was) but that didn't mean I was offensive to them or couldn't be friends with them or something.

ReputationRep:
    When I went to UCL, pretty much everyone there was from a private school, and they all seemed very well equipped to me. Plus, they were all generally very well articulate and intelligent. I guess each type of school has its pros and cons!

ReputationRep:
    dude im sure there are some loaded asians out there who go to private schools.. plus i think you're confusing private school, which can be a day school to people who are boarding

ReputationRep:
    Its hardly like uni is diverse, here at least anyway.

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying that in state schools there is usually all of these things? I went to a state school; everyone was white, from the same area, probably mostly christian/ athiest, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting how into these things people get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasharox)
    When I went to UCL, pretty much everyone there was from a private school, and they all seemed very well equipped to me. Plus, they were all generally very well articulate and intelligent. I guess each type of school has its pros and cons!
    Nice.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Going to a non - private school, in my opinion, allows you greater scope for interaction with more sections of the demographic.

However, many of these people are people you would rather not know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    Nice.
    Ooh, picky.

Perhaps if I went to a private school I wouldn't have made that mistake!

ReputationRep:
    In theory, if state schools DO infact let you mix with a wider range of people (and I'm not sure that they do), then you would expect people who have been to state schools to have more "life skills".

Sadly, in reality, this isn't exactly the case. Imagine the sterotypical violent youth (someone who is very intolerent and lacks many life skills) - did he go to a private or state school?

Of course there are exceptions - some state schools are amazing at producing very polite and well rounded students.. it's just the bad ones which get all of the attention these days.

ReputationRep:
    I would say my school prepares people well for life, I get on well with the 2 years which have just gone to uni and they all seem to be enjoying them selves and well equipped for what they want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Does Private school prepare you for life better than state?
    I went to a private selective girls school but now I'm at a state run college.

It is true that at a private school you live in bit of a comfortable bubble. Most of my friends had large houses in town or nearby. I didn't know anyone living on benefits. There was 1 black girl in the whole school when I left. It would have been very easy to think that that was how life was for everyone, and many people at my school did think that - or chose to forget how other people lived. However, my school wasn't the only thing that influenced me. Personally, my parents were very down to earth: they pretty much sacrificed all of their income to get me and my sister to this school, and they did it because the local comp was a failing school. I always felt like I was more grounded than a lot of people there.

The pro's of the private education I recieved however, I think outweighed the cons. The school taught me the values of real hard work, and also most of the girls are actually not that snobbish deliberately. We were always doing charity events and basically were "brought up properly" by the school; the girls it produces are (pretty much always) polite, well mannered, thoughtful and hard working.

Obviously i'm not saying that state schools don't do this, and it may not even have vbeen down to the school alone, but the general attitude and values of my friends at private school is definately different to some of the attitudes of others.

However, going to 6th form college was great for me because it was an eye-opener - but like I said I was already kept pretty grounded by my parents. Really it was a test for my private school education - could it survive in the so called 'real world'. I think it did survive - I worked just as hard, perhaps harder, at college as I did at private school and I didn't lose my outlook and values. Meeting a more diverse range of people at college, though, definately has rounded me as a person as I have had to learn to adapt to differnt types of people - at private school we were very much one of a mold.

To sum up: yes private school does prepare you well for life - it equipped me with a good set of 'life skills'. I think going to a state school would have given me a different set - some of which would have been more useful, but on the whole I would have been less prepared, or to put it a different way, there was less risk of being underprepared at private school.

But I think a lot of the "preparation" really depends on your parents attitudes, and your own. I could have ended up pretty snobby at private school.. likewise if my parents hadn't installed values in me and I had gone to state school, I could easily have lost my way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.