Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    In the back of my mind I vaguely remember somewhere letting you with a year foundation or something.

its not something im planning to do - its just annoying me that i cant remember. D=

enlighten me? tar.

ReputationRep:
    Yer, there are a couple of places that offer medicine with a foundation year that you have to have done no science A-levels (as opposed to doing them and not doing very well). UEA, sheffield and manchester spring to mind. GKT too maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Year 0 foundation course, there are different ones such as one where you don't have a science background but perform really well in the subjects you do have. KCL does a slightly different one where you have to come from an underprivileged background and have CCC or something like that (in sciences though), Soton has a widening access course too.

ReputationRep:
    There's a few unis that offer a foundation year for medicine but only if you don't have science subjects at A-level (though some of them will allow you to have one science). Search on UCAS. It generally says something like 'medicine with foundation' or 'medicine-premedical entry'. They still generally require you to have high grades in your non-science subjects.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ah ok, so I wasn't going ma dand making things up in my head =]

Thanks people.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Renal)
    Yer, there are a couple of places that offer medicine with a foundation year that you have to have done no science A-levels (as opposed to doing them and not doing very well). UEA, sheffield and manchester spring to mind. GKT too maybe.
    So there are a few, would you still need work experience as a virtual prerequisite etc?

I ask because I advise people alot at school and want to be equipt to give them correct and, if possible, fairly exhastive information.

thanks =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    So there are a few, would you still need work experience as a virtual prerequisite etc?
    Absolutely, at the end of the day entry to the course is entry to the profession, just like 5- or 4-year. Because of the scarcity of places on these courses, I would expect that you'd have to work harder to show dedication and commitment.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Renal)
    Absolutely, at the end of the day entry to the course is entry to the profession, just like 5- or 4-year. Because of the scarcity of places on these courses, I would expect that you'd have to work harder to show dedication and commitment.
    That seems logical, ok thanks mate (Y)

=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)

I ask because I advise people alot at school and want to be equipt to give them correct and, if possible, fairly exhastive information.

thanks =]
    You need to do everything as if you were applying to Med bar apptitude tests (afaik).

You still need to get AAB/AAA but not in science A levels.

I'd assume they were more competetive too for the reasons Renal said.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    You need to do everything as if you were applying to Med bar apptitude tests (afaik).

You still need to get AAB/AAA but not in science A levels.

I'd assume they were more competetive too for the reasons Renal said.
    Ah thanks, I was under the impression that the ukcat was not actually science based so thought you would still have to do it - shows what I know ¬¬ lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 10, 2009

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.