The Student Room Group

Dental Hygiene and Therapy 2010 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
thanks aliyah - i have only applied to cardiff and liverpool for the diphe so a bit worried about the interview if i get one - just wish they would hurry up and reject me already!!
Reply 61
James77
:eek: If the interviewers are that grilling/emotionless... what will it be like attending Uni there?!

Haha I see what you mean, but I dont think studying there will be as scary as the interview day. I think the interviewers were like that on purpose maybe to observe how we would react in that situation...:confused:
cookie12
I FELT EXACTLY THE SAME. haaha
yes i did.. i had to wait ages, they were running really late, and didnt even get a chance to look around properly like i did at manc. manc was so much friendlier and just so much nicer.. i havent heard from them yet though, does anyone know when they give offers out?
yeah i got absolutely grilled at bham, they also had all my school records and im re sitting a module in summer from last year which they also knew about, im not really too bothered but im sure they are not allowed to know. also just kept uestioning me on things that i didnt expect, and yeah they looked completely unimpressed.. i concluded they must look like that all the time because their face expression didn't change throughout the whole 20mins.. haha

Im glad im not the only one!
They asked the usual questions e.g.
what does a dental hygienist do
what does a therapist do
how did you get here
why this course
why bham
where do you see yourself i 10 years times
why are you having a gap year
who does a dental therapist / hygienest answer too
what can a dental hygienist / therapist not do
who sets the work for the hygienist
how did you develop your manual dexterity

i think because they didnt really show what they thought of my answers i think it completely threw me off what i had prepared causing me to panic and completely mess it up :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: but ill learn from that making me better for the nxt interview:biggrin: (hopefully)
Reply 63
they all seem pretty standard except the manual dexterity one? how did you anser that if you dont mind me asking pm me if you dont want to tell everyone else
Reply 64
thanks Aliyah. does anyone have a birmingham interview on the 28th? also has anyone heard from manchester or liverpool yet? :s-smilie:
Reply 65
AB22
thanks Aliyah. does anyone have a birmingham interview on the 28th? also has anyone heard from manchester or liverpool yet? :s-smilie:

Manchester did email me a while ago saying that they'll invite me for an interview early this year...so hopefully should hear from them soon. Haven't heard anything from Liverpool though.
Reply 66
Hi..

Anyone applied for the combined Diploma in Liverpool? What quals are you applying with. I'm an ex Dental Nurse/Educator and am wondering what the competition is like :smile:

Such a long wait till March to find out if i've got an interview but have everything crossed.. :biggrin:
Reply 67
i have applied to both cardiff and liverpool for the diploma - dont htink ihave much of a chance - 3 years dental nurse experience got my qualification 9 gcses 3a's 5b's and a c and 4 a/s levels 2 c's and 2 d's.
Reply 68
i didnt know that liverpool and cardiff did a diploma? isnt it a BSc?
what is everyone been predicted for their AS's?
Reply 69
RJH090384
i have applied to both cardiff and liverpool for the diploma - dont htink ihave much of a chance - 3 years dental nurse experience got my qualification 9 gcses 3a's 5b's and a c and 4 a/s levels 2 c's and 2 d's.

no you do, they are good grades and plus most poeple dont have much experince :smile:
RJH090384
they all seem pretty standard except the manual dexterity one? how did you anser that if you dont mind me asking pm me if you dont want to tell everyone else

To fill my gap year i decided to do couture dressmaking. basically i design my own clothes. you have to do a practice piece which i always hand sew making it easier to do alterations which may be needed for the final piece. so when bham asked me about my manual dexterity i showed them my practice dress but unfortunately left the fabric samples behind which they seemed annoyed at lol. but apart from that they seemed really interested and asked me to explain what i was doing to each part, where i got the idea from etc

I also played the flute and piano so i kinda had to have good fingers for both dressmaking was to keep my fingers going for a year really:h:
Reply 71
gossipgirl91
Im glad im not the only one!

haha yeah, well it didnt really make me want to go there to be honest. Have you had an interview anywhere else?
Im just waiting for manc or lpool to get back to me, hope i get an offer :frown:
cookie12
haha yeah, well it didnt really make me want to go there to be honest. Have you had an interview anywhere else?
Im just waiting for manc or lpool to get back to me, hope i get an offer :frown:

Looking at bham I was like yea its totally gonna be my first choice but like you i actually dont wanna go there now! have you heard anything back from them yet?

Im still waiting for Manchester, Liverpool and Portsmouth to get back. Ive had acknowledgment from both Portsmouth and Liverpool but not Manchester but im not really expecting to hear from any of them till feb / march. in the mean time i can get more work experience :biggrin:
Reply 73
thanks ab22 i hope it is enough!! yes both cardiff and liverpool do both the degree and the diploma - as i have a daughter and a husband to support i can only apply for the diploma as it is nhs funded and i couldnt affford the degree.

i am a bit worried about the manual dexterity thing - i dont play instruments and am not gifted artistically - i suppose though dental nursing does require dexterity i would do alot of four handed dentistry with my dentist.
Reply 74
Is anyone here doing dental hygiene/therapy that has done an Access to HE diploma? I would love to get on this course but am worried having it may not be enough to get in, even though alot of the Uni's websites say you can use this in lieu of Gcse's and A levels, and they are accepted, but I have seen some of you have been dental nurses previously and some have done a access couse in addition. I have no dental experience besides some shadowing work.
Little bit worried if Id get in with just work experience and a HE diploma.
Reply 75
are you apllying for the degree or the diploma? you should email the individual schools and ask if they are acceptable
Reply 76
gossipgirl91
Looking at bham I was like yea its totally gonna be my first choice but like you i actually dont wanna go there now! have you heard anything back from them yet?

Im still waiting for Manchester, Liverpool and Portsmouth to get back. Ive had acknowledgment from both Portsmouth and Liverpool but not Manchester but im not really expecting to hear from any of them till feb / march. in the mean time i can get more work experience :biggrin:

it was never my first choice, but still actually don't want to go there, obviously would if i had no other option though.. nope i haven't heard back yet, they said they would notify me first week of January soo don't know :| :s-smilie:
yeah im waiting for manchester and lpool, but manc did say they would let me know in January too..
what was your first choice?
cookie12
it was never my first choice, but still actually don't want to go there, obviously would if i had no other option though.. nope i haven't heard back yet, they said they would notify me first week of January soo don't know :| :s-smilie:
yeah im waiting for manchester and lpool, but manc did say they would let me know in January too..
what was your first choice?

i have no idea where i want to go now! i thought i would really like bham but i was proved wrong. I quite liked manc dental school and hospital and i like the look of portsmouth but i guess i end up where i end up lol!

what was your first choice??
Reply 78
Has anyone heard back from Birmingham ?
Reply 79
Interview at Cardiff for the Dental Hygiene course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest