Turn on thread page Beta

Roof chopping - making a convertible watch

ReputationRep:
    Any good sites on how to do this? Also, has anyone heard of it being done on a 4-door? I know the chassis would have to be strengthened, etc. - but it'd be so amazing to have a completely unique car!

ReputationRep:
    Or you could, you know, just buy a convertable in the first place...

ReputationRep:
    I cut the roof off my old VW van...

It's very draughty to drive with no windscreen... and rain hurts when you're driving at speed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    I cut the roof off my old VW van...

It's very draughty to drive with no windscreen... and rain hurts when you're driving at speed...
    NICE! That's exactly what I mean! no chassis strengthening / rounding off the corners and adding a custom soft-top?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    NICE! That's exactly what I mean! no chassis strengthening / rounding off the corners and adding a custom soft-top?

He welded a new one on if I remember rightly.

What sort of thing are you thinking of doing this to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)

Not actually sure yet - maybe a Lexus Soarer or Rover 75. Or maybe a corvette - from T-top C4 to convertible (I know convertibles exist, but they're about double the price!)

ReputationRep:

Correct

I certainly wouldn't want to drive any non convertible without adding any strengthening.

Also, OP, bear in mind that most roofs on convertible conversions tent to look like tents. Going to the effort of finding a convertible roof from another car that will work aesthetically grated to your car would be the only way to go IMO. Folding tintop especially

ReputationRep:
    Actually - maybe on a Shogun :P JK, that'd look stupid!

ReputationRep:
    I would be tempted to go extra long sunroof way first. Keeping the full doors etc.

MGB, 2CV style...

Much easier to do and much easier to make a roof for.

ReputationRep:
    Correct

I certainly wouldn't want to drive any non convertible without adding any strengthening.

Also, OP, bear in mind that most roofs on convertible conversions tent to look like tents. Going to the effort of finding a convertible roof from another car that will work aesthetically grated to your car would be the only way to go IMO. Folding tintop especially
    Actually - that'd be quite something. Like taking an SL roof and putting it on a 'vette! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Can I just point out a slight problem?

You will instantly fail an MOT and be called up for a vehicle inspection by VOSA if they even SUSPECT that the car has had its shell altered.

ReputationRep:
    Correct

I'm always doing this kind of thing so it made me laugh lol :p:.

OP, you're reminding me of Top Gear's convertible Espace...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)

You will instantly fail an MOT and be called up for a vehicle inspection by VOSA if they even SUSPECT that the car has had its shell altered.
    How so with the MOT?

Perhaps I have just been lucky thus far.

ReputationRep:
    How so with the MOT?

Perhaps I have just been lucky thus far.
    If you alter the shell of a car it should be taken for a VOSA vehicle inspection in case you've done it wrong...obvious really. There are many other reasons that you can be called up for one.

What have you "been lucky" with so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)

That's what I thought. Not to mention the strength of the chassis would be weakened greatly as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelotrevs)
    That's what I thought. Not to mention the strength of the chassis would be weakened greatly as well.
    Exactly. There is NO WAY on Earth you can get away with things like that these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    If you alter the shell of a car it should be taken for a VOSA vehicle inspection in case you've done it wrong...obvious really. There are many other reasons that you can be called up for one.

What have you "been lucky" with so far?
    Shortcutting round making up replacement sections with bits of scaff bar mainly.

ReputationRep:
    Shortcutting round making up replacement sections with bits of scaff bar mainly.
    Cutting around what? Sections of what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q_M)
    Cutting around what? Sections of what?
    Re-read what I posted, I can't see where the confusion lies. May just be because I'm knackered.

ReputationRep:
    Re-read what I posted, I can't see where the confusion lies. May just be because I'm knackered.

I'm also knackered but I've no idea what you can be making with scaff bar to be honest.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.