Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I have just finished my GCSE's, and am expecting an A in double science, and an B/C for maths. Would I find A-Level Physics too hard? I'm going to do maths, and am just thinking about the work load.

ReputationRep:
    Work load is less than most other subjects. How hard it is depends on your applied maths ability.
    Maths with a B/C will be much harder than your physics, but will make your physics much much easier. its worth doing physics if you do maths.

ReputationRep:
    DO you have to learn a massive amount of formulas? I was a bit worried about have to learn books full of the buggers.

ReputationRep:
    Nope you get a formula sheet - the same one - in each exam. To get an idea of what the sheet contains, check out any past paper, eg:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp...W-QP-Jun04.pdf

So as long as you have a vague idea what is going on in a question and can find the right formula you're home and dry. What they ask you to do increasingly in A2 modules is pretty much run two formulae together to get something new. The theory won't be hard with a decent science grade, and the maths is gcse at the hardest. I don't do A level maths, didnt do AS maths, and ive been fine.

ReputationRep:
    imo maths isn't a key factor in the success of physics. You need to be able to store large quantities of information [explannations, theories] and be able to apply them. The maths involved in physics is easy:

straight forward rearranging equations, minor logarithms for phy5/phy6. I know plenty of people who didn't do a level maths and go A's in physics.

As for the work load, you probably wont be given much work but in order to get a good grade in physics you must know everything off by heart [to get an A]. AS isn't that hard, it's phy6/phy5 which is when you'll notice how hard it is.

(Original post by johnwarneruk)
    Work load is less than most other subjects. How hard it is depends on your applied maths ability.
    Maths with a B/C will be much harder than your physics, but will make your physics much much easier. its worth doing physics if you do maths.
    not necessarily... I am doing alevel maths + physics (and in maths, my average mark is 92- for 4 papers so far) and I struggle with alevel physics.

ReputationRep:
    A level physics as a whole isn't bad, but AS physics is a bit of a jump from GCSE, due to a few things being a bit more accurate. On the AQAB sylabus there does tend to be alot of just memory work, but most of it is logical, just a pain in the ass when they try to overcomplicate questions on the exam papers.

ReputationRep:
    Don't take it unless you want to do physics at university. It is too much trouble.

ReputationRep:
    do you get too do a lot of work about the universe and stars and that sort of thing

ReputationRep:
    It can be the easiest ALevel you take and it can be the hardest. It will rarely be in between. Fact of the matter, Maths is not essential for ALevel Physics, BUT it will give you an understanding of Physics that is much better, if you can apply it.
    With a good understanding of the maths, the subject becomes very much just about understanding phenoma. Which doesn't take too long.
    Without a good understanding of the maths, it can be a long and hard journey, figuring out what formula to use, which ones fit together and how it all works. If you are the type of person that used little tricks to remember formulae (eg triangles) then I seriously recommend you stay the hell away.
    Take a wee look at the sylabus on the website of the board your school takes. Also ask people from Y12/13 or 6th form about the course. I personally hated the OCR Physics B course, with a vengence. Most boring course I've ever taken in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehh)
    If you are the type of person that used little tricks to remember formulae (eg triangles) then I seriously recommend you stay the hell away.
    Why's that? I used to use triangles to remember formula at GCSE ( ) and am now doing A2 physics, really enjoy it, and don't find it particularly hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thinktank)
    Would I find A-Level Physics too hard?
    That'll depend on what syllabus your school/college decides to run, as well as how easy you find it. The syllabus I'm doing doesn't have vast amounts of maths (OCR Physics B), we don't have to worry about logarithms like nas7232 does.
    DO you have to learn a massive amount of formulas?
    The number of formulas you need to learn is less than maths, formula books tend to give you everything but those you covered in GCSE (V=IR, F=ma).
    ...thinking about the work load.
    What might concern you (again check the syllabus) is coursework. Mine took me ages. In fact I've done more work in physics on courseworrk than everything else put together. :confused:

Syllabi (syllabuses??? I'm not doing english A-level for very good reasons) are available on all the exam board websites.

ReputationRep:
    if you are doing Maths inc mechanics - you'll brezze physics (on assumption you are good at maths)

but yeh, maths is physics is easy, but the actual questions are a bit weird - the stuff abotu defining stuff and describing experiemetns- its where i lose my marks

ReputationRep:
    i think physics is a tough subject but a real gd challenge esp that it is soo interesting (or is that just me ), if u like physics its the best, not as a subject for a grade but as 2 years of a tru interlectual science :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you keep track of what is going on in the lessons its not too hard. There are some formulae to learn (I'd guess about 10-15, but they are pretty simple). There's a few basic concepts to grasp, but again they do make sense after you have got used to them. A solid understanding of maths will help the same amount as a very good understanding. Physics uses the easiest bits of A-Level maths (particularly Mechanics 1 - resolving (components of forces), moments, Newtons laws etc.) the most confusing topic probably being those involving log and exponential graphs, but it is learnable if you don't really understand it.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    i don't know anyone who finds physics "piss easy". It is pretty hard at A2, doing it in 1 year is even tougher. Physics may not be that hard to some, but i think it's one of the most stressful subjects you can do.

ReputationRep:
    I think it might depend a bit on your exam board. I do OCR Physics A and haven't found it much of a problem: they tend to lead you through questions GCSE style, and as long as you know your formulae and understand the concepts, it's not a problem. The maths gets no more complicated than exponentials, apart from a small amount of logarithms, which are likely the only new mathematical concept you'll come across.

Work load for Physics at my school is very low - but I imagine it depends upon the amount of questions you're set. I've always found my double maths, Physics and Chemistry a lower workload than GCSE, as well as compared to those doing humanities at A Level.

Also, have a think about who'll be teaching you - if they're not up to much at GCSE, it could mean trouble at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    i don't know anyone who finds physics "piss easy". It is pretty hard at A2, doing it in 1 year is even tougher. Physics may not be that hard to some, but i think it's one of the most stressful subjects you can do.
    Really? Not one person? Oh well. I know a few.
    You had the option of doing the whole course in a year? I would have liked to do that. If I did then I would have been able to continue my Further Maths A2. That woulda been sw33t. Oh well....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    I agree. I find maths harder overall, but I think physics is quite difficult to get a high grade in. Unless of course you have an exceptional teacher, who trains you to get 100%, which I havent! The material isnt that hard, but the exams are.
    Anyone who thinks its very easy, and thinks they can get A's by doing no work is lieing, next to maths, it the hardest Alevel you can do, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    I agree. I find maths harder overall, but I think physics is quite difficult to get a high grade in. Unless of course you have an exceptional teacher, who trains you to get 100%, which I havent! The material isnt that hard, but the exams are.
    Anyone who thinks its very easy, and thinks they can get A's by doing no work is lieing, next to maths, it the hardest Alevel you can do, in my opinion.
    i find the only problem with physics is understanding the stupid question stupid edexcel set, and trying to decipher what it ACUTALLY is they want u to do :mad:

maths has turned out to b my easiest A level (Maths, Phys, History) so i guess every1 is different

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 6, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.