Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    I agree. I find maths harder overall, but I think physics is quite difficult to get a high grade in. Unless of course you have an exceptional teacher, who trains you to get 100%, which I havent! The material isnt that hard, but the exams are.
    Anyone who thinks its very easy, and thinks they can get A's by doing no work is lieing, next to maths, it the hardest Alevel you can do, in my opinion.
    I agree with you, @ Meh i had to go to an independent college to do it all in 1 year, i wish i could of done physics in 2 years like the rest of people instead i have to do 4 a levels in 1 year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Tom)
    i find the only problem with physics is understanding the stupid question stupid edexcel set, and trying to decipher what it ACUTALLY is they want u to do :mad:

maths has turned out to b my easiest A level (Maths, Phys, History) so i guess every1 is different

Well said that man. The Edexcel questions can be very very poor. I honestly find A2 physics very easy and can't take it very seriously...they sort of half introduce you to complicated ideas and have to make it very wishy washy in places because they have to leave out all the mathematics. Universities have actually been complaining that their first year engineering and physics students just don't know enough physics.

ReputationRep:
    I found maths easy aswell, only thing with maths is.. the amount of practise, if you do a levels in 2 years you can easily get an A by doing practise questions over and over again, so when you go into the exam it's like you've already done the question with different numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    I found maths easy aswell, only thing with maths is.. the amount of practise, if you do a levels in 2 years you can easily get an A by doing practise questions over and over again, so when you go into the exam it's like you've already done the question with different numbers.
    maths is just as easy to do in a year though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    maths is just as easy to do in a year though
    not alongside 3 other alevels all in a year.

ReputationRep:
    not alongside 3 other alevels all in a year.
    true - why are you doing 4 a-levels, and all in a year? did you mess up AS adn doing all in a private school?

that the reality?

Pk

ReputationRep:
    3 alevels and 1 as

personal matters happerend when i was 16-18, didn't go college at all => didn't learn nothing and took my alevels by guessing as i didn't know anything lol. I was at the worst college in the area aswell, peeps were going for a day out lol no1 gave a crap about their education, so now i have to do 3 a levels and an AS otherwise i'll bne a bit old imo to start uni if i do it in 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    I found AS level Physics more of a problem than I might have anticipated, as I expected a lot of maths, but the board I did I believe is designed to have as little maths as possible at AS level, sticking it all in the A2 part...too many wordy questions

If you take Physics, I advise you do maths with mechanics...

Physics at A2 level looks a little bit more promising though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    I agree. I find maths harder overall, but I think physics is quite difficult to get a high grade in. Unless of course you have an exceptional teacher, who trains you to get 100%, which I havent! The material isnt that hard, but the exams are.
    Anyone who thinks its very easy, and thinks they can get A's by doing no work is lieing, next to maths, it the hardest Alevel you can do, in my opinion.

What do you mean by high grade? A, or do you mean high total marks? I have found physics to be the easiest of the subjects I took by a long way. I personally wouldnt go as far as saying it is very easy, or say that I have done no work, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who do find it very easy. What exam board and sylabus are you talking about? I'm doing AQA B. You certainly dont need a teacher 'who trains you to get 100%' to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    AQA board is well different though, with aqa all you really need to do is learn everything in the book. I found ocr and edexcel way harder.

ReputationRep:
    maths is piss easy compared to the other a-levels ...just learn the methods and do some past papers and u'll clock it if ur good at it

ReputationRep:
    its all about the applying.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DmAsTeR)
    maths is piss easy compared to the other a-levels ...just learn the methods and do some past papers and u'll clock it if ur good at it

Yeah, because there can be a lot of talent involved, some people need only do very little work to be able to do very well in A-level maths. Generally someone with a lot of mathematical talent would also find the ideas in A-level physics easily manageable.

ReputationRep:
    Physics and Maths 4 A-levels is a excellent combo...if ur good at math...u should definitely do physics...and dont do biology or chemistry unless u need to...i find them hard...tooooo much to remember...with fat books...whereas physics and maths u just learn thin books for each unit and ur more likely to achieve an A.

ReputationRep:
    AQA board is well different though, with aqa all you really need to do is learn everything in the book. I found ocr and edexcel way harder.
    You took physics in 3 different exam boards? Why?

Learning everything in 'the book'(what book?) is completely unnecessary though. If you understand the basic concepts involved in each part, most of it can be worked out at the time or found from the datasheet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DmAsTeR)
    Physics and Maths 4 A-levels is a excellent combo...if ur good at math...u should definitely do physics...and dont do biology or chemistry unless u need to...i find them hard...tooooo much to remember...with fat books...whereas physics and maths u just learn thin books for each unit and ur more likely to achieve an A.
    Yeah I find chemistry hard for that reason too, dont do biology though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davedave)
    Yeah I find chemistry hard for that reason too, dont do biology though.
    the ultimate subject comination is :

Maths, Further maths, additional further maths, Physics - they would have been my dream A-levels

regarding physics - put it this way - i taught myself AS physics in wo days, and A2 phys in three days a few weeks ago - no point working all year - just doss and its easily picked up in a short space of time, but mind you i did wrok from like 10am to 10 pm solid in reading through my textbook, but still goes to show its easy, and not hard to pick up:rolleyes:

day before exam revision rocks! nothing works better, so dont tdo all this long winded time tabled **** and revise the night before - that way it'll be fresh in your mind for the exam! well it works for me

pk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davedave)
    You took physics in 3 different exam boards? Why?

Learning everything in 'the book'(what book?) is completely unnecessary though. If you understand the basic concepts involved in each part, most of it can be worked out at the time or found from the datasheet.
    i didn't know i did 3 different boards :p:

ReputationRep:
    i didn't know i did 3 different boards :p:

"I found ocr and edexcel way harder."

ReputationRep:
    yep, doesn't mean i did them all. I went through each board before i knew which 1 i was gonna do. For AQA there are usually books designed for the specific a level. So all you need to do is remember it inside out. Although, like you said if you can understand the basic concept you don't really need to.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 6, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.