Turn on thread page Beta

to pay for parking is a form of idiocity watch

ReputationRep:
    well thats what i think : why lets make things difficult if we can make them easy ha ha

well i do think its a form of idiocity to let people pay to park their car

if u have studied ergonomity ( i do hope this is the right translation ( i am dutch ) then u must come to the conclusion that its much easier to create a few more extra parking spots and then to let the people park their cars for free

now one must always search for a moronic machine to pay while u only have to buy one package of sigs or washing powder

wich is a lot of extra daily hassel u know for shure

and why not pay a little bit of extra taxes ? to create a few extra parking spots ? that would be much more sain : and then we also dont have to pay for the policeman thats checking if the cars are parked in the right way

*( also saves us a great deal of money )

ha ha greetings from edwin
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    My guess is that it's something to do with making a load of money.

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention discouraging driving...

ReputationRep:
    I agree but its hard to avoid, our uni most make £1000+ a day on parking fees yet still doesnt have enough parking spaces. I try to avoid paying where possible but in city centres etc it simply isnt possible

ReputationRep:
    Sure its stupid, its not like buying a huge amount of land and converting it to a car park costs any money that you need to make back. And it certainly doesn't need any maintenance, which doesn't cost money either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    I agree but its hard to avoid, our uni most make £1000+ a day on parking fees yet still doesnt have enough parking spaces. I try to avoid paying where possible but in city centres etc it simply isnt possible
    My employer made £850,000 in two years charging the staff to park in the staff car park.

ReputationRep:
    ...And that's why I got a motorbike.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think the people who own the carparks would agree tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Car parks are businesses too therefore are run as such, to make money. If you don't like it find somewhere to park for free, take the bus or walk. No point having land sitting empty when you can get people to pay for it with a little effort.

(Original post by edwinemanuelposse)
    its much easier to create a few more extra parking spots and then to let the people park their cars for free
    In what possible way is it easy to create parking spaces?
    You've got to find somewhere to put them for a start, which is very difficult in town centres and other urban areas and will cost money. Then you've got to clear whatever was already in that area which will cost more money. Then you've got to tarmac the area, put all the kerbs in, paint all the lines, construct roads to get in and out of the new car park and install lighting and possibly CCTV which all costs money. Then once your new car park is open you've got to pay someone money keep it clean.

(Original post by edwinemanuelposse)
    now one must always search for a moronic machine to pay while u only have to buy one package of sigs or washing powder
    Don't you have a corner shop near your home?
    That's pretty much the point of those, you don't drive into town and pay to park up to buy single items like that.

I'd say paid car parks keep the people in that area circulating too. If you go into town and can park for free you can dawdle around all you like taking up a space that someone might actually need. If you've got to pay a bit shy of a quid an hour to park up even though it's much at all you know you being there longer than you need to be is costing you money that you don't need to spend.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 11, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.