Turn on thread page Beta

should i study law? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey there everyone!

Ive never done law before and wanted to study it as an undergrad degree...but i just recieved my As results and i got like a b b c! and i havnt really had any work experience before...law really sounds appealing but im not sure if i can do it due to my grades and lack of experience. what do you think of this situation? Please let me know

Waiting to hear from you guys!
    x

Ps.My predicted grades for A2 are AAB

ReputationRep:
    If you buck up those grades to at least 3 bs then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    If you buck up those grades to at least 3 bs then go for it!
    I've been predicted AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveislife)
    Hey there everyone!

Ive never done law before and wanted to study it as an undergrad degree...but i just recieved my As results and i got like a b b c! and i havnt really had any work experience before...law really sounds appealing but im not sure if i can do it due to my grades and lack of experience. what do you think of this situation? Please let me know

x

There's your problem - not your grades, since you'll always be able to find a university to take you (and if all else fails you could resit a few papers in June to get your grades up if necessary). How do you know that Law would suit you?

Which subjects are you doing at the moment, and how much independent study do you do? That excludes homework, of course.

Why are you interested in Law, and have you had any experience of it? Ever been to the Magistrates' or Crown Court?

ReputationRep:
    Hey there everyone!

x

I'd advise you to do another degree that you're interested in. You could always do a law conversion at the end, it's only a year long. And that way, with your predicted grades, you're more likely to get into a better uni. Law at a good uni is reallyy competitive, most ask for AAA.

Oh and it'd be a bit risky to go for law as you haven't had much experience in the field. Doing another degree will also buy you more time to do some research into law and if you'll actually enjoy it.

Also, a friend of mine is applying for law this year and she did work experience in a law firm who told her they prefer employing people who have done a degree in something not law related then done a law conversion as it shows they're an all rounder.

Good luck with whatever you decide though =].

ReputationRep:
    Yea, it's worth a shot. You do not need any work experience for law, just write an amazing PS.

Just dont apply to any AAA places if you are predicted AAB. Even though Southampton is AAA-AAB they rarely accept anyone with a AAB prediction.
    Have about 2 more sensible choices too like BBB or BBC. Liverpool is AAB and Kent is AAB, I think Hull is ABB or something? Do your research... There are lots of other places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppety_Kid)
    There's your problem - not your grades, since you'll always be able to find a university to take you (and if all else fails you could resit a few papers in June to get your grades up if necessary). How do you know that Law would suit you?

Which subjects are you doing at the moment, and how much independent study do you do? That excludes homework, of course.

Why are you interested in Law, and have you had any experience of it? Ever been to the Magistrates' or Crown Court?
    First of all, thank you so much for ur reply
    Secondly, that is the question i ask myself, how do i know law would suit me, because of the lack of experience i have.

Currently im doing math,psychology and business. And i just feel interested in legal aspects of things, things like child law..family law really interest me and i want to learn more about them in depth and i thought that maybe with a law degree i could find answers to some questions that i get in the form of opinions or statements on the news. Ive been to a court before, but because where i live all the lawyers speak in a different language (arabic) which im not very familiar with, i cant get any experience from any law firm! My dad runs his own business and ive seen him dealing with legal issues with his lawyer and that interests me, the way his lawyer has dealt with some tricky situations, although because i havent been in his shoes i dont know anything personally about it!

Thats why i feel so uncertain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *like a star*)
    I'd advise you to do another degree that you're interested in. You could always do a law conversion at the end, it's only a year long. And that way, with your predicted grades, you're more likely to get into a better uni. Law at a good uni is reallyy competitive, most ask for AAA.

Oh and it'd be a bit risky to go for law as you haven't had much experience in the field. Doing another degree will also buy you more time to do some research into law and if you'll actually enjoy it.

Thanks for that hun! I was actually thinking of the same... i was thinking of doing management and then doing a law conversion degree if im absolutely certain that law is what i want to do by the end of my undergrad degree, but sometimes i feel i maybe put at a disadvantage if i havent done it for my undergrad?

ReputationRep:
    I am doing a degree that interests me 'economics' and then a GDL, so maybe this is something you can consider?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Yea, it's worth a shot. You do not need any work experience for law, just write an amazing PS.

Just dont apply to any AAA places if you are predicted AAB. Even though Southampton is AAA-AAB they rarely accept anyone with a AAB prediction.
    Have about 2 more sensible choices too like BBB or BBC. Liverpool is AAB and Kent is AAB, I think Hull is ABB or something? Do your research... There are lots of other places.
    Yeahh, ive done quite a bit of research already and law is so competitive! even unis that are at the bottom of the good university guide league table require atleast min ABB! Thats why im so confused!!

ReputationRep:
    First of all, thank you so much for ur reply
    Secondly, that is the question i ask myself, how do i know law would suit me, because of the lack of experience i have.

Currently im doing math,psychology and business. And i just feel interested in legal aspects of things, things like child law..family law really interest me and i want to learn more about them in depth and i thought that maybe with a law degree i could find answers to some questions that i get in the form of opinions or statements on the news. Ive been to a court before, but because where i live all the lawyers speak in a different language (arabic) which im not very familiar with, i cant get any experience from any law firm! My dad runs his own business and ive seen him dealing with legal issues with his lawyer and that interests me, the way his lawyer has dealt with some tricky situations, although because i havent been in his shoes i dont know anything personally about it!

Thats why i feel so uncertain.
    I see.

The next question is probably: how immoral are you?

I kid. :p:

Hmmm...it's a tough one. If your idea of interest is The Daily Mail's "why is this ******* not getting life for murder?" (which I doubt it is ), you probably won't enjoy Law, but if you like the challenge of arguing your corner (which you personally might not agree with) and considering alternative interpretations, you might find Law interesting.

It's worth mentioning though that Family Law is only a tiny part of what you study - there are seven core subjects, including Criminal, Tort and Constitutional. Anyway, it's good that you've tried to gain some kind of exposure to the legal profession, since now you're probably not under the impression that Law will make you into Perry Mason! :cool:

If you don't mind taking the debate off to a tangent (since you'll need to have an opinion on current events anyway), what do you think should happen in the case of Gary McKinnon? Here's an article about it in case you're not familiar with the issue:

Article

Should he be tried in the UK or the US (if at all?)

How you respond to that should give you an indication of how your mind works.

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh, ive done quite a bit of research already and law is so competitive! even unis that are at the bottom of the good university guide league table require atleast min ABB! Thats why im so confused!!
    What were your GCSE's?
    You still have a shot, maybe apply for a combined course to give you more chance, e.g law and sociology, law and philosophy, law and a language?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that hun! I was actually thinking of the same... i was thinking of doing management and then doing a law conversion degree if im absolutely certain that law is what i want to do by the end of my undergrad degree, but sometimes i feel i maybe put at a disadvantage if i havent done it for my undergrad?

Nope, you won't be at a disadvantage. You can do a GDL (graduate diploma in law) as long as you get atleast a 2.2 in your chosen degree. I heard about 30% of solicitors and barristers are non-law graduates =].

ReputationRep:
    I've been predicted AAB
    Yes but predicted grades and actual grades are very different.

ReputationRep:
    I would decide on this based upon whether you enjoy the subject as opposed to whether you plan on becoming a lawyer, one does not equate the other.

I know your grades aren't particularly competitive at the moment but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't flourish at degree level.

I think you should spend at least a couple weeks of actively reading some of the material you would as a first year Law student. Your local library should have some student texts books/articles.

Also, if it is possible for you, visit your local uni and sit in on a few first year Law lectures. They shouldn't mind so long as you are quiet and respectful. There isn't much else you can base your expectation of reading Law at degree level other than actually trying it out for yourself.

Try to get a feel for it that way as opposed to listening to people's, including my, opinions. It may seem a little daunting at first but if you keep pushing through the initial barrier you will realise fairly soon whether you enjoy this type of study or not.

I agree with previous posters that legal employers do want well rounded applicants, however this can be achieved in a myriad of ways.

If you find that you would rather spend less time studying law before entering the legal profession (assuming you still even want to enter the legal profession of course) then do the GDL. If you find you actually quite enjoy what is being taught and could see yourself committing to it for three years, go for it 100% and don't look back.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to try and get work experience in some kind of legal environment to ensure it is what you want to do. You do not need to do a Law degree to become a Solicitor/Barrister. There are different sections of Law - Family, Criminal, Litigation, Probate, Land Law, Conveyancing and they vary quite a bit in terms of the work you have to do for each one. Maybe try to get experience in your summer hols or something? I know it can be difficult getting experience but hopefully if you write to enough someone will reply Like someone said above try to sit in on some lectures/lessons too.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there everyone!

x

I'm studying for a Law degree at the minute and I'm only in uni with four GCSE's, 2 B's and 2 C's. I got in through doing an online access course which gives you the skills you need to get through academic life and I changed subjects last minute before signing up so up to the point of starting the degree 4 weeks ago I had no idea what to expect from studying Law.

I'm surprised by how well I've taken to the subject and I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer by any stretch. All degree courses essentially teach you from the ground up anyway so even if you haven't studied Law at A level, they will give you the basics. It's hard but interesting work and I would strongly recommend it as it's quite a good degree to put in your qualifications part of your CV even if you're not going for a job in Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stealth-Mode)
    I would decide on this based upon whether you enjoy the subject as opposed to whether you plan on becoming a lawyer, one does not equate the other.

I know your grades aren't particularly competitive at the moment but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't flourish at degree level.

I think you should spend at least a couple weeks of actively reading some of the material you would as a first year Law student. Your local library should have some student texts books/articles.

Also, if it is possible for you, visit your local uni and sit in on a few first year Law lectures. They shouldn't mind so long as you are quiet and respectful. There isn't much else you can base your expectation of reading Law at degree level other than actually trying it out for yourself.

Try to get a feel for it that way as opposed to listening to people's, including my, opinions. It may seem a little daunting at first but if you keep pushing through the initial barrier you will realise fairly soon whether you enjoy this type of study or not.

I agree with previous posters that legal employers do want well rounded applicants, however this can be achieved in a myriad of ways.

If you find that you would rather spend less time studying law before entering the legal profession (assuming you still even want to enter the legal profession of course) then do the GDL. If you find you actually quite enjoy what is being taught and could see yourself committing to it for three years, go for it 100% and don't look back.

Good luck.
    Thanks so much for that! Those suggestions are great, but i dont think i can do that because wher i live, women cant do law, especially if ur not an arab( which im not) so i wouldnt be allowed to go university and sit in the first yr classes, also living in an arabcountry puts me at a double disadvantage because the law here is very different to what i would be studying if i did go ahead with law as an undergrad degree. I think because im so uncertain abt it, i would actually go ahead and do the GDL once i have a degree in something else ( i was thinkin management actually) this would, as someone earlier said, buy me more time and i could hopefully by then be sure of my decision.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveo2009)
    I'm studying for a Law degree at the minute and I'm only in uni with four GCSE's, 2 B's and 2 C's. I got in through doing an online access course which gives you the skills you need to get through academic life and I changed subjects last minute before signing up so up to the point of starting the degree 4 weeks ago I had no idea what to expect from studying Law.

I'm surprised by how well I've taken to the subject and I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer by any stretch. All degree courses essentially teach you from the ground up anyway so even if you haven't studied Law at A level, they will give you the basics. It's hard but interesting work and I would strongly recommend it as it's quite a good degree to put in your qualifications part of your CV even if you're not going for a job in Law.

Really? Wow thats amazing, which online access course is this?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for that! Those suggestions are great, but i dont think i can do that because wher i live, women cant do law, especially if ur not an arab( which im not) so i wouldnt be allowed to go university and sit in the first yr classes, also living in an arabcountry puts me at a double disadvantage because the law here is very different to what i would be studying if i did go ahead with law as an undergrad degree. I think because im so uncertain abt it, i would actually go ahead and do the GDL once i have a degree in something else ( i was thinkin management actually) this would, as someone earlier said, buy me more time and i could hopefully by then be sure of my decision.

Thanks
    Ah, yes that would be tricky for you then. But the books should still give you some idea.

Just one more thing to add, if you are planning on the GDL route, I avoid studying Management or any other degree that has such a strong vocational aspect to it, for that very reason. It could be perceived by future legal employers that the GDL was simply a last minute safety choice ss you had spent three years preparing to enter the business industry. This is just my opinion so please look into the matter further to ascertain how valid it may or not be.

But, I would like to hear other peoples opinion on this matter who know more about this TC/Pupillage admissions than I, just to see if this coheres.

Once again, I wish you the best of luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.