Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is anyone else is in 5th year doing 5 higher this year , how is everyone finding higher compared to last year ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm probably not welcome here :ashamed: but I'll post anyway. :o:
    I did 5 highers last year and I thought the jump was quite considerable, but not as much as it is hyped up to be. There's a massive jump with english though, and quite a jump with maths as well.

ReputationRep:
    Same as person above, but yeah pretty much a big jump- really depends what subjects you took though. For me, History and English was the biggest jump!

ReputationRep:
    im doing 6, lol, and failing :unsure:

soooo much harder than SG/Int 2

although the only one im actually liking/good at is biology

maths/physics/chemistry/english escapes me

ReputationRep:
    I did 5 highers in 5th year (Maths, Biology, Geography, Modern Studies and English) found the step not too bad apart from Higher English...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i did 5 highers last year. the only jump i found REALLY difficult was maths, but that's just because i'm not a mathsy person at all.

ReputationRep:
    I did 5 this year. I do about 5% the work I could have done for SGs and got almost all 1's. With highers you have to put in a bit more time, but I got AAABB this year without spending a huge amount of time through the year working.

The jump is not as big as everyone claims, just work relatively hard, especially in the month before your exams.

ReputationRep:
    Me. Difficult, not an easy transition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikka_09)
    Same as person above, but yeah pretty much a big jump- really depends what subjects you took though. For me, History and English was the biggest jump!
    I agree History is so different this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Equinox Sky)
    I did 5 highers in 5th year (Maths, Biology, Geography, Modern Studies and English) found the step not too bad apart from Higher English...
    I am doing geography his year ! haha I am such a geography geek , Its the only subject I feel confident in .

ReputationRep:
    I did 5 last year.
    I found some difficult and others were like a second nature to me.
    The jump from Standard Grade is noticable but not as bad as its made out to be.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, don't be put off with the scare stories about doing 5 highers, and how the jump is impossible. There is a jump, but if you work consistently throughout the year, and I don't mean consistently hard, just consistenly, you'll do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefany-a)
    I am doing geography his year ! haha I am such a geography geek , Its the only subject I feel confident in .
    I really enjoyed geography too, applied for environmental based courses at uni

If you feel confident in Geography then do what you do in it and apply similar learning techniques to the subjects you find less confident in. If that makes any sense.

What other highers are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Equinox Sky)
    I really enjoyed geography too, applied for environmental based courses at uni

If you feel confident in Geography then do what you do in it and apply similar learning techniques to the subjects you find less confident in. If that makes any sense.

What other highers are you doing?
    I am doing maths , english , history , accounts and of course geography. I hate higher english I terrible at both close reading and essays :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefany-a)
    I am doing maths , english , history , accounts and of course geography. I hate higher english I terrible at both close reading and essays :/
    I hated English too, especially the close reading...I'm still diappointed with the grade! :o:

ReputationRep:
    I done 5 in my 5th year but I found maths such a massive jump that I ended up going choosing to go down to Int. 2, I'm just awful at maths. I found French a bit of a jump but was comfortable with everything else.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this thread was called "high fivers" :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I did 5 last year. I found Maths really tough but other than that they were okay
    I hadn't done Business Management before but I thought it was quite easy.
    Just do all the homework, and a little extra studying now and again, and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I thought this thread was called "high fivers" :sad:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I thought this thread was called "high fivers"
    Me too! :sad:

I'm changing my post title. :five:

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.