Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of taking A-Level Maths next year, but think it may be too much. Im I thikn ill get B/C, becasue of the impossbiility of the maths paper at GCSE, but will it be too much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thinktank)
    I'm thinking of taking A-Level Maths next year, but think it may be too much. Im I thikn ill get B/C, becasue of the impossbiility of the maths paper at GCSE, but will it be too much?
    Well it all depends.

A Level is designed for those students aiming for A*/A at GCSE but that does NOT mean to say that people getting B's can't go on to get A's at A Level. It is perfectly possible.

At my school (and maybe at others) students with C grades or B grades from the intermediate paper are not allowed to do A Level. Whether this is wise I am unsure. Does your school have a similar policy? If so your decision could already be made.

However I would say that if you enjoy maths. Like really enjoy it. And are prepared to put some work in then ==> have a go. It is quite different from GCSE, much more independent learning which motivates some people and demotivates others.

We'll have to hope your one of the people in the former group.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't, if you are good enough to do A-level maths well then you should be on a comfortable A. Alternatively it may be poor teaching and so get yourself a tutor and you'll be suprised how much progress you make in little time.

even without good teaching, you should get a grade A atleast. If you struggle with maths GCSE then you will struggle with maths Alevel even more.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say I struggle it is just that paper 1 was ddamn near in possible, but when i did practise papers marked them using the mark scheme and then found the grade boundaries i got an a* it was just that bloody paper 1

ReputationRep:
    Would your school/college let you do it?

ReputationRep:
    yeah with a B im only talking about normal maths.

ReputationRep:
    nah, do media instead

ReputationRep:
    nah. i dont like doss subjects.

ReputationRep:
    How actually hard is it compared to GCSE maths and also compared to normal maths.

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in GCSE higher, i wanted to do maths badly, for engineering. I had to argue with teachers. No one in our gcse class level in previous years did a-level maths. (mix of intermediate and higher)

Well, in the beginning i was a flop, gettin Us in mocks in C1 (please dont ask me how lol), until i got a tutor. After that, pretty much sorted.

In practice papers, i was getting 90ish% for C1, in C2 right now 80ish%, and mechanics M1 is around 70%.

C1 is basically like an extension of gcse, ull go though completing the square n all that stuff agen, quadratic simultaneous equations. The only real proper new things in that is calculus (differentiation and integration) (which at C1 level is easy as long as u spot out the questions)

C2 is really getting onto the tricky stuff. In the beginning, i used to find this very hard aswel. But if u get extra help, and do loads of questions, then it shud be ok.

M1...well, wat can i say, mainly logic involved, and trigonometry. the questions can be tricky, but again, with enough practice, u get the hang of it. People say Mechanics is harder then stats S1 (u usually hav a choice), but i hav always hated stats, also, mech probably more interesting, if u like the sorta things u do in physics (eg using F=ma).

So on the whole, i wud say u may find maths ok, if u put loads and loads of work into it, lots more than wat the people who got As and A*s put into it. Also, past/practice papers are vital to do decent, in my opinion. Do loads, u wud know wat ot expect in the exam after, the sorta questions, also get u in the mood.

ALso, extra help wud be a gud idea, id say get a tutor if u do it.

ReputationRep:
    nah. i dont like doss subjects.
    Then why do maths? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I know people who got B's at GCSE with A's at A level - I say go for it if you are prepared to put in the work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    nah, do media instead
    oi! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I got a B at GCSE.
    If you're prepared to work hard then there's no reason you can't get an A (provided your lack of confidence is due to not learning all the material, rather than some phobia of mathematics).
    It should be emphasised though that turning up to lessons is not enough, you need to work in your own time too. I'd advise you to find out what syllabus you'll be following and work through the C1 book over the summer. If you find that to be okay then do the math in September.
    I'm surprised to see so many people suggesting tutors. What do they actually do? Surely they just help you do questions out of the book? Aren't they expensive for the input they can actually give?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    I got a B at GCSE.
    If you're prepared to work hard then there's no reason you can't get an A (provided your lack of confidence is due to not learning all the material, rather than some phobia of mathematics).
    It should be emphasised though that turning up to lessons is not enough, you need to work in your own time too. I'd advise you to find out what syllabus you'll be following and work through the C1 book over the summer. If you find that to be okay then do the math in September.
    I'm surprised to see so many people suggesting tutors. What do they actually do? Surely they just help you do questions out of the book? Aren't they expensive for the input they can actually give?
    They are expensive but can be particularly useful for maths as the subject is one of a few where everything you learn is based upon what you previously learnt. So if you are struggling on say simple differentiating, then you will find the product rule harder to grasp and so on.

I was reading something written by Timothy Gowers (cambridge prof) and he said that he genuinely believed people didn't like maths because of this building block nature - however he went on to say that he also believed that anyone can do mathematics and enjoy it if taught on a one to one basis.

ReputationRep:
    If that is the case how come you cant get a text book and learn it for yourself?

ReputationRep:
    you can.

ReputationRep:
    what a weird thread

Just get hold of a book and find out!!! is what i say to teh thread starter:mad:
    ...life continues :tsr:

pk

ReputationRep:
    Thinktank - Maths A-level's quite a bit harder than GCSE and contains a lot more ideas especially in calculus, but if you're the type who might otherwise have got an A* (but for a tough paper) then you'll be up to it if you're committed.

I was surprised to see that Gaz031 got a B at GCSE because he's one of the most helpful and insightful of all the people who help out in the Maths Forum - and who I think has taught himself much Further Maths (may be wrong) - but anyway by following his example it's clear that you can succeed at A-level despite a B at GCSE.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 17, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.