Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    An online matey was recently called up for the Norwegian army. Thought id see whether people agree or beg to differ. In this day and age, i think its a rediculous idea. Maybe the root to obesity and fitness levels and rising crime, that these elements are now in our society without conscription. But, i still disagree with it.

ReputationRep:
    Conscription is needed when we require the numbers, at present there is no real risk to us so we don't need conscription.

ReputationRep:
    why the hell norway would require larger military?They are small insignificant country with successful economy, but with not much political influence on the world. Norway is Nato member and will be protected by Nato in any way.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with conscription but think that it would do some good to society. It would be especially constructive for both chavs and rich kids alike. It would probably instill some discipline into certain people and would help with obesity and fitness. Anti-Social behaviour may not be so much of a problem.
    The reasons why I disagree with conscription are that it would be economically inefficient, and is simply not needed militarily in today's world situation where mass numbers are not so important. Instead we need to employ better technology and good soldiers who can use brain-power as well as muscle on the battle-field.

ReputationRep:
    Its important to distinguish between war-time conscription and compulsory national service.

Obviously conscription is pointless now, but to say that there will be no major war in the near future is short-sighted, if there is one then conscription would be a useful tool in boosting numbers.

I think that national service played a major role in upholding values of common decency, and bringing it back is necessary to reverse the decline in moral deceny.

ReputationRep:
    Im talking about National Service. Conscriptions/Drafting/

ReputationRep:
    Good idea installs discipline, independence, teamwork, focus, fitness - all of which may of which may have not been given before. I would like to see it introduced into the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyHappyEnding)
    Good idea installs discipline, independence, teamwork, focus, fitness - all of which may of which may have not been given before. I would like to see it introduced into the UK.
    Just as long as you pay for the whole thing!
    Oh, and it technically it's slavery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Slaves dont get paid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Just another example of someone who is so self they're not prepared to look out or put something back to the community. makes me sad

ReputationRep:
    I agree, it is rubbish to suggest that it is slavery. Serving your country shouldn't be considered as slavery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    I agree, it is rubbish to suggest that it is slavery. Serving your country shouldn't be considered as slavery.
    It shouldn't be compulsary either. You think forcing people to give up several years of their lives will make them love their country more? And even if you think so, who are you to take away years from people's lives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    It shouldn't be compulsary either. You think forcing people to give up several years of their lives will make them love their country more? And even if you think so, who are you to take away years from people's lives?
    Maybe its a necessary price each person has to pay for the upkeep of society?

ReputationRep:
    From a modern perspective, I think conscription is akin to slavery. But in older times, I can see how it was necassary to just scoop up an army, rather than having to spend money trying to gather one through the more liberal form of propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpressedMass)
    Maybe its a necessary price each person has to pay for the upkeep of society?
    Don't forget the additional 10% or more you'll have to pay in taxes to pay for training, housing, and feeding the transcripts all while they're not contributing to the economy.

ReputationRep:
    A million teenagers peeling spuds and digging ditches in Aldershot? :rolleyes:

We can't get kids to tuck their shirts in or blow their nose - what chance they're going to jump out of helicopters for 'Democracy'?

I'd throw a few of 'em out of helicopters for fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    why the hell norway would require larger military?They are small insignificant country with successful economy, but with not much political influence on the world. Norway is Nato member and will be protected by Nato in any way.
    Why? Well... I think they're planning something. Tucked up there on that icy island, they could be planning world domination, huge military attacks, and the first thing we'd hear about it would be an airstrike in our own backyard. :eek:

as to conscription -- i don't support it unless the actual country is under attack

ReputationRep:
    Tucked up there on that icy island
    Didn't take geography at school, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    Didn't take geography at school, eh?
    ah... no

excuse, excuse - um, i live thousands of miles away and only learn australian geog. and, ah, a peninsula is almost an island. oh no, but that doesn't work, because sweden's there too. um -- perhaps i was confusing it with denmark?

ReputationRep:
    perhaps i was confusing it with denmark?
    While Denmark does have two large islands, the bulk of it is on the largest land mass in the world, along with Norway.
    Maybe you're thinking of Iceland?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.