Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    A million teenagers peeling spuds and digging ditches in Aldershot? :rolleyes:

We can't get kids to tuck their shirts in or blow their nose - what chance they're going to jump out of helicopters for 'Democracy'?

I'd throw a few of 'em out of helicopters for fun.
    Lmfao, damn right man.

ReputationRep:
    Conscription is evil. The state is bad enough to take away our money but with conscription the state is saying 'we own you'. Why should i die for a state which does not give me freedom? This idea of a community is absurd. There are only individuals. All i will do is not infringe on the freedom of others, no more no less.

ReputationRep:
    I do not support in any way, shape or form, a conscripted army. Certainly not in peace time anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    While Denmark does have two large islands, the bulk of it is on the largest land mass in the world, along with Norway.
    Maybe you're thinking of Iceland?
    That's it.

Iceland or Greenland or whatever (don't know those two apart either, to tell the truth. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    Conscription is evil. The state is bad enough to take away our money but with conscription the state is saying 'we own you'. Why should i die for a state which does not give me freedom? This idea of a community is absurd. There are only individuals. All i will do is not infringe on the freedom of others, no more no less.
    you put it so well.

although you are beginning to sound a bit like margaret thatcher.

conscription is wrong. except when the country is under immediate threat, it cannot be justified at all (likewise, industrial conscription and rationing). I argue that it can be justified when a country may be invaded because then it's a clear choice between loss of freedom to the enemy and occupation vs. some loss of personal liberties in being conscripted.

ReputationRep:
    The philosophy underlying conscription is that if someone chooses to be a citizen of a country and benefit from that they have a duty to that country, including an obligation to defend it by serving in the armed forces unless there is mvery good reason why they shouldn't. One benefit of conscription- properly applied- would be that only people who had served in the armed forces or even fought in a war would be allowed to argue in favour of future wars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milady)
    That's it.

Iceland or Greenland or whatever (don't know those two apart either, to tell the truth. )
    Greenland is very big and very not green.

ReputationRep:
    you are beginning to sound a bit like margaret thatcher.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    One benefit of conscription- properly applied- would be that only people who had served in the armed forces or even fought in a war would be allowed to debate the merits of future wars
    On that logic only people who vote should be allowed to express political opinions. What if one is an anarchist and so rejects the system and thus see's voting as a way of giving legitimacy to the system which they fundamentally disagree with.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd do it if there was national service, I'd do that or wartime conscription and I would definitely do that.

ReputationRep:
    On that logic only people who vote should be allowed to express political opinions. What if one is an anarchist and so rejects the system and thus see's voting as a way of giving legitimacy to the system which they fundamentally disagree with.
    Not clearly expressed. Corrected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Greenland is very big and very not green.
    thankyou. i'm going to have to find a map sometime soon. I'm so ignorant...

Thank you
    I'm glad you take it as a compliment.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Obviously not all conservatives are authoritarian like Beekeeper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpressedMass)
    Maybe its a necessary price each person has to pay for the upkeep of society?
    How about other alternatives than the military such as hospital work etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    How about other alternatives than the military such as hospital work etc?
    How about allowing people to do whatever they want, as long as they don't harm anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I prefer conscripting young criminals on their second sentence myself. It would get the chavs off the street and be some sort of deterant.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    I prefer conscripting young criminals on their second sentence myself. It would get the chavs off the street and be some sort of deterant.
    Who would it deter? certainly serving in the army helped me, but that was because i was educated for the first time ever. You might also end up discharging young fit chavs who know forty ways to kill a man with their bare hands and are expert shots too, which mightn't be quite what you wanted.

ReputationRep:
    Who would it deter? certainly serving in the army helped me, but that was because i was educated for the first time ever. You might also end up discharging young fit chavs who know forty ways to kill a man with their bare hands and are expert shots too, which mightn't be quite what you wanted.
    Hehe, good point.

ReputationRep:
    I don't support it at all. I don't believe any government has the right to make you put your life on line. People who want to join the military do it freely, most of those who are drafted don't want to be, doesn't exactly add to the overall morale :rolleyes: .

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.