The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
Ducklighter I've also applied to Glamorgan and UWE to do Forensic Computing, got conditionals for them both, im thinking Glamorgan though because they ask for BBB (300 points) and i'm doing 2 alevels and Welsh Bac so i only need B + C. Where else you applied?
Isis Black
good luck to you, hope you hear soon! and cheers!!! i hope you are jsut as happy in a day or 2!!! :yep:

Awww, thanks! :mmm:
I hope so!

What are your other choices? :smile:
Hi Everyone,

I'm an american student, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with how competitive uni is in the UK, and don't really know how to compare the grading systems. Please pardon my ignorance. I applied for Law 100 at KCL, Manchester, Leeds, East London, and UCL. I'm a mature student (25) and hold a BSc in Information Systems and Computer Programming. I hold a 3.65 GPA (not sure how to convert, but it basically is 3.65/4.0, which is a bit over 91%). I'm graduating with honours (cum laude), and possibly with high great honours (magna cum laude). I've taken the LNAT but haven't received my scores yet, on the 5 practice tests I received 26, 26, 23, 20, and 18. Sent my application on 8th January, 2010, through UCAS and heard acknowledgments from UCL and Manchester the following work day (sent friday, heard back monday).

Do I seem like a good candidate for Uni? Does anyone know when I might expect an answer? How do I know my LNAT arrived safely to my selected universities?
Isis Black
i just have to pass the access course with 60 credits in total including 45 at level 3!!!

So you've got this one in the bag then :p:
I applied to Leicester but have not heard anything *GULP*
Reply 2084
1pp1k10k4m1
Hi Everyone,

I'm an american student, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with how competitive uni is in the UK, and don't really know how to compare the grading systems. Please pardon my ignorance. I applied for Law 100 at KCL, Manchester, Leeds, East London, and UCL. I'm a mature student (25) and hold a BSc in Information Systems and Computer Programming. I hold a 3.65 GPA (not sure how to convert, but it basically is 3.65/4.0, which is a bit over 91%). I'm graduating with honours (cum laude), and possibly with high great honours (magna cum laude). I've taken the LNAT but haven't received my scores yet, on the 5 practice tests I received 26, 26, 23, 20, and 18. Sent my application on 8th January, 2010, through UCAS and heard acknowledgments from UCL and Manchester the following work day (sent friday, heard back monday).

Do I seem like a good candidate for Uni? Does anyone know when I might expect an answer? How do I know my LNAT arrived safely to my selected universities?

I don't really know but it doesn't sound like you could do much better! I don't know anything about the LNAT and whether those are good scores, but your GPA sounds good. Provided your PS was good you sound like a strong applicant.
Isis Black
:woo: :woo: :woo: i got a conditional offer from University of Leicester:woo: :woo: :woo:

Well done :five: :biggrin:
Dairy Milky Chocolate
So you've got this one in the bag then :p:
I applied to Leicester but have not heard anything *GULP*

what have you applied for??? it seems like they are staggering their offers as i have a friend who got an offer last week for criminology!

but as i said before no news is good news! you will hear something soon xxx:yep:
And another day has passed, still no news. Frrrrrustrating. :frown:
d123
I don't really know but it doesn't sound like you could do much better! I don't know anything about the LNAT and whether those are good scores, but your GPA sounds good. Provided your PS was good you sound like a strong applicant.

Thanks for the kind words d123, and of course for the response as well. Didn't think I would hear something quite so quickly...:smile:

The average lnat score for 2008/2009 was 16.7 out of 30, according to wikipedia at least. Unfortunately, I can't find any useful average uni acceptance scores for 2008/2009, but for my schools, Cambridge Affiliated reports the 2007/2008 scores to be:

KCL (King's College London)
22, 20, 26, 17, 21, 19, 23, 24, 18, 20, 18, 20, 17, 15, 19, 22, 18, 19, 17, 21, 16, 18, 20
Average = 19.6

UCL (University College London)
24, 21, 18, 26, 20, 19, 21, 22, 14, 21, 25, 20, 22
Average = 21.0

East London doesn't use LNAT, Manchester either, and I can't find Leeds scores.

But I've seen on the forums someone applying to KCL with 15 LNAT and gotten an offer, and another got 25 LNAT and KCL rejected. They say essay is a big part of the LNAT (though its ungraded) I guess it comes down to PS and academic history then? How long does it usually take to hear from uni's? I know there is something of a variable in response time, but any general ideas? Sorry, I'm a bit nervous, and full of questions. I would really love to study in the UK.
jennythefriend
And another day has passed, still no news. Frrrrrustrating. :frown:

Ehhh, yeah it's frustrating indeed :emo: :hugs:
Reply 2090
Had my 'interview' at UCL today, I must say that I thought it to be thoroughly enjoyable. I must have been lucky and had the best interviewers in the department.

Oh well, just got to wait now...
d123

congratulations on your offers!! :yep:
s100onn
Ducklighter I've also applied to Glamorgan and UWE to do Forensic Computing, got conditionals for them both, im thinking Glamorgan though because they ask for BBB (300 points) and i'm doing 2 alevels and Welsh Bac so i only need B + C. Where else you applied?

Glamorgan,[offer] UWE,[offer] Bournmouth, Staffordshire [got interview] andd Keele [Computer Science foundation and hopfully add Forensic Science] what about you?

Due to circumstances, and I don't want to have another year in college, I'm aplying for HND courses and the progress that way to be honnest.
Butterflyleg
Awww, thanks! :mmm:
I hope so!

What are your other choices? :smile:

Just one more DeMontfort! so hopfully they wont be long and then i can get the firm and insurance stuff out of the way!
Reply 2094
Ducklighter
Glamorgan,[offer] UWE,[offer] Bournmouth, Staffordshire [got interview] andd Keele [Computer Science foundation and hopfully add Forensic Science] what about you?

Due to circumstances, and I don't want to have another year in college, I'm aplying for HND courses and the progress that way to be honnest.

I've applied to (and got conditionals) to:-
- Uwe
- Leeds met
- Manchester Met
- Liverpool John Moores
- Glamorgan.

I've finally found someone else applying for the same course as me! No one else would reply. So anyway whats looking to be your firm and insurance choice?
And whats the difference between a HND and a normal one?
Reply 2095
Still waiting on UCL, want to go there soooo bad. :cry2:
s100onn
I've applied to (and got conditionals) to:-
- Uwe
- Leeds met
- Manchester Met
- Liverpool John Moores
- Glamorgan.

I've finally found someone else applying for the same course as me! No one else would reply. So anyway whats looking to be your firm and insurance choice?
And whats the difference between a HND and a normal one?

Just from Glamorgan courses of HND and an normal BscHons the difference iss

LEVEL ONE

Introduction to Multimedia and the Web
Information Resource Engineering
Professional and Business Skills
Mathematics and Statistics for Computing
Computer Programming
Computer Systems and Internet Technology

LEVEL TWO

Abstract and Linear Algebra
Network Administration and Security
Network Architectures and Operating Systems
Computer Forensic and Digital Evidence
Criminology
Level 2 Project

Level 1
Internet Application Development *
Information Resource Engineering *
Computer Forensics & Security *
Mathematics & Statistics for Computing *
Computer Programming *
Computer Systems & Network Technology *

Level 2
Computer Forensics & Digital Evidence *
Computer Forensics Evidentiary Practice *
Cryptography and Information Assurance *
Event Driven Programming *
Network Architectures & Operating Systems *
Network Administration & Security *
Employment Experience Diploma (Computing)†

Level 3
Level 3 Project (Core)
Advanced Digital Investigation Techniques & Tools *
Computers and the Law *
Small Business Development and Managing Growth
Criminology
Building Highly Reliable Software Systems
Advanced Internet Development
Operating Systems
Computer Networks
Systems Security & Administration
Distributed Computer Systems

Level 1,2,3 is Bsc[Hons] and Level 1,2 is HND. The bolds are the differences, and it'll take me 4 year to get the Bsc[Hons] as after my two year HND I'll go and do a top up and do four year to get Hons. :smile:
LOL. I got an offer today... from a university I swapped WEEKS ago. Needless to say I was on the phone to UCAS. Hehe, it's no longer valid. Still nice to know they would've taken me if I didn't reject them first. :P
Aubydoll
LOL. I got an offer today... from a university I swapped WEEKS ago. Needless to say I was on the phone to UCAS. Hehe, it's no longer valid. Still nice to know they would've taken me if I didn't reject them first. :P

LOL:s-smilie: Shame it's from one you didn't want but a nice confidence booster. Hope you do just as well with all your other choices.:biggrin:
Aubydoll

hehe how amusing :smile:
today I got a letter from Bournemouth and they are cancelling their course because well they didn't give a reason why...
Not sure if I want to have 4 offers or find another university =/

Latest

Trending

Trending