Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give some advice about how to help an alcoholic.

My mother is a heavy drinker, but really not a stereotypical alcoholic if that makes any sense. She's a great person, and probably the person people who least expect to have a drinking problem- she goes out to work every day, she's great at her job, she's a fantastic parent and does everything for us, but every couple of weeks or so, she goes on these binges at the weekend.

Even when she genuinely only intends to have one glass, she can't seem to stop and drinks until she is sick- in fact, I can't remember the last time when she had a drink without continuing to this point, and that couldn't be healthy. It's not like she does it to have a good time with friends or whatever- it's always at home on her own- she says she does it to relax, but it only makes her really depressed, even when was in a really good mood to start with. She start off with one glass, then she'll go to bed and the next day, she won't get up at all, and generally won't get up the day after that. She spends the whole time drinking more and more, and throwing up.

The thing is, I know I should be sympathetic and help, but I just can't seem to get my head around it, and can't control myself when she's like this, and generally end up losing my temper and shouting at her, even though I know she's amazing when she's sober and really doesn't deserve to get treated like that. After these fights, we don't get on well at all for days. She thinks I'm being childish and controlling and trying to rule her life by saying she shouldn't drink. I know that's understandable, but how can I not take the drink off her when she's like this?? Especially when it's something strong. And if it's not strong, theres always loads of it- it's never just a glass or two, it's always bottles or boxes.

It used to be worse, and I mean A LOT worse- it's been going on for about 3 or 4 years, as far as I'm aware anyway, and she's improved, so therefore she thinks I'm being unreasonable not to allow her to do this every couple of weeks- she says she needs that time alone, but spending 2 or 3 days doing nothing but drinking alone in a bedroom isn't normal or healthy, even if it is an improvement. I've tried talking to her about it, and she does regret it and doesn't intend for it to happen, but she genuinely can't just stop at one glass.

Sorry this is so long. Any ideas on what I should to to help? Thanks a lot

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give some advice about how to help an alcoholic.

My mother is a heavy drinker, but really not a stereotypical alcoholic if that makes any sense. She's a great person, and probably the person people would least expect to have a drinking problem- she goes out to work every day, she's great at her job, she's a fantastic parent and does everything for us, but every couple of weeks or so, she goes on these binges at the weekend.

Even when she genuinely only intends to have one glass, she can't seem to stop and drinks until she is sick- in fact, I can't remember the last time when she had a drink without continuing to this point, and that couldn't be healthy. It's not like she does it to have a good time with friends or whatever- it's always at home on her own- she says she does it to relax, but it only makes her really depressed, even when was in a really good mood to start with. She starts off with one glass, then she'll go to bed and the next day, she won't get up at all, and generally won't get up the day after that. She spends the whole time drinking more and more, and throwing up.

The thing is, I know I should be sympathetic and help, but I just can't seem to get my head around it, and can't control myself when she's like this, and generally end up losing my temper and shouting at her, even though I know she's amazing when she's sober and really doesn't deserve to get treated like that. After these fights, we don't get on well at all for days. She thinks I'm being childish and controlling and trying to rule her life by saying she shouldn't drink. I know that's understandable, but how can I not take the drink off her when she's like this?? Especially when it's something strong. And if it's not strong, theres always loads of it- it's never just a glass or two, it's always bottles or boxes.

It used to be worse, and I mean A LOT worse- it's been going on for about 3 or 4 years, as far as I'm aware anyway, and she's improved, so therefore she thinks I'm being unreasonable not to allow her to do this every couple of weeks- she says she needs that time alone, but spending 2 or 3 days doing nothing but drinking alone in a bedroom isn't normal or healthy, even if it is an improvement. I've tried talking to her about it, and she does regret it and doesn't intend for it to happen, but she genuinely can't just stop at one glass.

Sorry this is so long. Any ideas on what I should do to help? Thanks a lot
    Sorry- just correcting the spelling mistakes in this post- I wrote the last one in a rush.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry- just correcting the spelling mistakes in this post- I wrote the last one in a rush.

My God, such a TSR user... :facepalm:

Anon correcting your own spelling mistakes...

No idea btw, but good luck. :dontknow:

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    My God, such a TSR user... :facepalm:

Anon correcting your own spelling mistakes...

No idea btw, but good luck. :dontknow:
    Yes, I know, sorry; I've just seen a lot of threads on here where people only reply to point out the OP's spelling/grammar errors and don't offer any actual advice, and I was hoping to avoid that by correcting my own mistakes.

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but does anyone at all have any advice? I really don't know what to do. We had a massive argument this morning about it and she is convinced that I don't love her because I don't want her to drink. Anytime I ask her about it, it turns into a fight, then she tells her friends or my sister or whoever and they all think I'm being really selfish and childish for wanting her to stop. I can't help but lose my temper when I see her drinking and probably am wrong for doing so, but it just reminds me of too many occasions that I really really do not want to see a repeat of. Please, if anyone has any advice, it would be great, because I hate this and want it to stop.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only advice I can give you is to get some outside help/support. Perhaps contact NACOA or the AA or someone like that, they'll be far more experienced in these matters than probably 99.9% of users on here...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but does anyone at all have any advice? I really don't know what to do. We had a massive argument this morning about it and she is convinced that I don't love her because I don't want her to drink. Anytime I ask her about it, it turns into a fight, then she tells her friends or my sister or whoever and they all think I'm being really selfish and childish for wanting her to stop. I can't help but lose my temper when I see her drinking and probably am wrong for doing so, but it just reminds me of too many occasions that I really really do not want to see a repeat of. Please, if anyone has any advice, it would be great, because I hate this and want it to stop.
    Please PM me? I would rather not discuss it in public but I have experience with this kind of thing.
    :jumphug:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.