are youth hostels that bad? Watch

Sahfire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
my friend and i are going to barcelona in december where we will be stayin in youth hostels, which i think shud be fine but everyone tells me how awful they are! are they really THAT bad? also, any tips on youth hostel survival?
CJN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Those people aren't really prepared for life.

I went away with friends, I said lets stay in a youth hostel what sort of 17 year olds stay in hotels etc. its too expensive (I'm still at school, pay with my money from work, other peoples parents paid).

The youth hostel we ended up staying at was fine, it was clean, the staff were nice and it had lots of facilities. If you want to be blunt, those people who say they cant stay in youth hostels need to grow up.
Kittennffc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Youth hostels are fine - I stayed in them for 4 months when I was travelling and there were only a few grotty ones where they were quite dirty but if it's only for a few nights theres no need to worry. Just go on tripadvisor.com or type in the name of the hostel and review into google and you'll be able to see what other peoples experiences were so you'll be able to avoid the awful ones.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I stayed in a hostel this summer in Stockholm; it was absolutely fine and there was free pasta. No problems, I'd recommend it.
Max_L
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just depends which hostel I think! I stayed in the Whitby YHA last year and it was very nice, spotlessly clean and quite swish for a youth hostel I felt.
Tombola
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's a little minimalistic and basic. There aren't any TVs or mini-fridges, well apart from one place I went to. But honestly if you are travelling, chances are you won't be indoor much anyhow.
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends on the hostel. I've stayed in countless hostels. Almost all are clean (although I did stay in one atrocious one in Croatia), some are run by religious organisations and tend to be a bit annoying on things like noise, alcohol and smoking, whilst others have their own bars and really couldn't care less how much noise you make. Look at some reviews before picking one, and it's often worth spending the extra 3 or 4 pounds a night for something a bit nicer.
Sahfire
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
cheers!!!
the ones we've chosen look pretty laid-back, so hopefully we should have a great time :p: can't wait!!!
FootPrints
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They're not defiitely not hotel standard (as I'm sure you know) but all the ones I've stayed in have, at least, been clean. The worst one I stayed in got unbearably hot during the night. And this was in Dublin...not particularly known for it's stifling climate :p:
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They're absolutely fine, especially if you stick to the popular ones. Check hostelworld
Nashy19
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some of them are worse than prison quality.

Beds creek, sheets itch, sharp bits in the carpet etc
SebMurphy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
youth hostels are ace, i mean, its not the hilton, but thats why they are cheap right?

i first went to 1 with some friends when i was 13, was ace.

oh and we were all raped by that guy from hostel who gets his fingers chopped off

**** happens
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I love hostels. It's somewhere to sleep and rest, and also somewhere you can meet people from all corners of the globe. I've so far not stayed in a bad one (except from a Parisian one with cramped rooms and no admission during the day - cleaning).
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have lived in a few in this country and it depends on the area. In bad areas they will be filled with crackheads and ex prisoners etc. Better areas - filled with kids from well of familys who buy lots of echo hoodys and try to act bad ^^
Freud
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Youth hostels are great, they have a lot more personality than most hotels and the people you meet in them are usually very friendly and interesting.
tradingmyheartforyours
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
I love hostels. It's somewhere to sleep and rest, and also somewhere you can meet people from all corners of the globe. I've so far not stayed in a bad one (except from a Parisian one with cramped rooms and no admission during the day - cleaning).
Exactly, it is really interesting to hear everyones stories and plans they all have and share resources. I have empathy for you with your Parisian experience as my hostel in Philadelphia was closed between 11am and 4pm and we had to be back inside by 2am or we had to stay out until 8am eek.

Hostels are fine.. don't worry too much Op
Kittennffc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks to whoever repped me - leave your name next time
xoxo_GossipGirl
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I love youth hostels, you get to meet so many people, and if you stay at the smaller, indepedent ones there's a real sense of community. Often you get free breakfast too!! We chose hostels with good reviews everywhere we went around Europe and were really lucky with all of them
.Scout.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I love hostels and have stayed in many over the past couple of years. I will aways recommened statying in them but i guess i have been lucky in the fact that i havent stayed in any dodgy ones!!!

I did get locked outside of one in Amsterdam, though. I didn't realise there was a nightly curfew
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (204)
43.31%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (146)
31%
I don't have an opinion (121)
25.69%

Watched Threads