Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Did it? How would you explain John Major being the PM then?
    with a majority of 22. He was virtually powerless. And Thatcher is the reason why the Tories are out of power. Most people still equate the Tory party with Thatcher hence don't vote for her. The same is going to happen to Labour. When the economy crashes, everyone will equate them with Blair, and hence Labour will be out again. Its the way the system works. Unless we get PR.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah forgot about him!! oops! he was a nice guy and ppl didn't warm to Kinnock. The public perceived a change had taken place but then realised same old tories and voted tony in!

tho i have to admit i was really upset when lab got in as was in lov wit john major despite only being about 10, thank god i got a brain!

ReputationRep:
    How will PR change it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    Oh yeah forgot about him!! oops! he was a nice guy and ppl didn't warm to Kinnock. The public perceived a change had taken place but then realised same old tories and voted tony in!

tho i have to admit i was really upset when lab got in as was in lov wit john major despite only being about 10, thank god i got a brain!
    I'd much prefer Thatcher as PM to Major.

ReputationRep:
    How will PR change it?
    Voting behaviour is almost bound to change as is turnout. Since there will be no "safe seats", no tactical voting etc, there will be a new perspective on how and who to vote.

ReputationRep:
    im sure most tories wud, he didn't exactly enhance your rep and apparentyl the r nice guy image isn't accurate.

ReputationRep:
    How will PR change it?
    by creating more hung parliaments and shoddy coalitions i suspect. a real benefit for all... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    by creating more hung parliaments and shoddy coalitions i suspect. a real benefit for all... :rolleyes:
    Accountability to government rather than huge majorites based on less than half of the vote forcing their way through everything. The government is supposed to represent the people :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    PR works quite well in Germany, theres a more collegial atmosphere and more consulation between parties.

ReputationRep:
    I know all that, but how will PR stop parties being associated with the failures of their leaders?

ReputationRep:
    I know all that, but how will PR stop parties being associated with the failures of their leaders?
    The focus will be on the parties as opposed to the leaders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Accountability to government rather than huge majorites based on less than half of the vote forcing their way through everything. The government is supposed to represent the people :rolleyes:
    PR wont represent it any better

ReputationRep:
    PR wont represent it any better
    Thats your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    i think ppl wud be better represented because the politicians wud have to listen more to the voters or ppl cud turn to minor parties like greens - also, opposition parties would be able to effectively question govt. better

ReputationRep:
    The focus will be on the parties as opposed to the leaders.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Thats your opinion.
    and its often accurate. im also of the opinion theres enough stupid people out there supporting it that it might actually come in for westminister elections at some point. i suppose it'll only help minnow 3rd place parties like the liberals get into government. representative indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Politics would be so much more fun though! We might even get fights in Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    What language is "Viva La Revolucion!"?

ReputationRep:
    who'd win in a fight prescott vs soames?!!

ReputationRep:
    and its often accurate. im also of the opinion theres enough stupid people out there supporting it that it might actually come in for westminister elections at some point. i suppose it'll only help minnow 3rd place parties like the liberals get into government. representative indeed.
    You are too full of yourself.

You are also pretty naive if you think PR will EVER be introduced to Westminster elections. No party in government with a majority under FPTP is gonna bring in PR. And nobody else can. This is a merely an academic debate. That (bolded statement) shows you don't even know the first thing about PR, or you're being deliberately deceptive because it isn't true. If 23% of the people vote for a certain party, then those 23% of the people should be representative in government. But people like you are concerned with "strong" (read: unaccountable) government :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.