Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 currently, and will turn 23 in the beginning of next year. I was wondering what the average age of a first year class is, and whether it is somewhat common to see people my age entering the standard medical courses.

ReputationRep:
    18/19 I would say and yeah it is perfectly common.

ReputationRep:
    19/20 i'd say

gappers, post grads on the 5 year course - they'd pull up the average

ReputationRep:
    Probs 20, as most people would be gap year students, I'm only guessing though.

ReputationRep:
    Average age taken by the mode would probably be 18/19.

The range of ages would be quite diverse, it's not uncommon to see 17 year olds at med schools, right the way up to people in their forties and beyond.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you apply, most first years will be 18/19 but there will be some extended gappers and graduate entrants to medicine too. My brother's currently in his first year studying medicine and the age range in his year is 18-42 years old, with most at the lower end of that scale.

ReputationRep:
    The age range in my year group (during first year) was 17/18-58 with at least half of the students over 21 at the start of the course so a higher average age than some places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    The age range in my year group (during first year) was 17/18-58 with at least half of the students over 21 at the start of the course so a higher average age than some places.
    Just wondering, are you at Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zer0nis)
    Just wondering, are you at Manchester?
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Average age taken by the mode would probably be 18/19.

The range of ages would be quite diverse, it's not uncommon to see 17 year olds at med schools, right the way up to people in their forties and beyond.
    can you be in your first year at 17??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scherzando225)
    can you be in your first year at 17??!
    Didn't George's accept a 16 year old a few years back: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ine-years.html

Appologies for linking to the Daily Mail

And I think Scotland takes 'em in young as well.

Plus the rules have changed and you've goota be 18 now.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 21 when i start, hope i won't be too old :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It depends on where you are, really. I turn 20 this week and I am the oldest person I've met; two people in my flat just turned 18 this summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaf7s)
    It depends on where you are, really. I turn 20 this week and I am the oldest person I've met; two people in my flat just turned 18 this summer.
    Can you see why this might not be the thread for you?

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the uni you attend. at barts this year, i think something like 33% of the year are 21-25, and collectively 44% of the year were 21+
    and the rest were <21.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McDull)
    it depends on the uni you attend. at barts this year, i think something like 33% of the year are 21-25, and collectively 44% of the year were 21+
    and the rest were <21.
    That sounds about right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Can you see why this might not be the thread for you?
    No, actually, considering there are four medics in the three flats on my floor. One of them having just turned 18.

Probably shouldn't have included myself in the number but it's not like you won't be mixing with everyone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaf7s)
    No, actually, considering there are four medics in the three flats on my floor. One of them having just turned 18.
    Let me see...

(Original post by eaf7s)
    You didn't mention that any of these three people (fantastic sample size!) are medics. You didn't notice what forum this thread is in. You're going to pretend you did and hope that nobody notices what a stupid ******* lie it is. You're going to look really smart and helpful, oh...

ReputationRep:
    There is a girl whose 29 in my group at Leicester Med school, and I know graduate guy whose 35, and there's one lady whose 26 with two young kids and there's one guy whose 28. So yes, it is possible, and your age is still very young. I wouldn't worry. I'm 18 btw, but seriously you will love it no matter what your age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Let me see...

You didn't mention that any of these three people (fantastic sample size!) are medics. You didn't notice what forum this thread is in. You're going to pretend you did and hope that nobody notices what a stupid ******* lie it is. You're going to look really smart and helpful, oh...
    Why is this so important to you? I may have not initially noticed, but I have met plenty of medics in my time here, including those that I live with. Who cares? At this point I'm mostly just sitting back and enjoying watching you make yourself look like a total **** to a complete stranger on the internet for no reason whatsoever. Please, continue .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2009

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.