Turn on thread page Beta

So.. watch

Announcements

Ok tonight I might've done a bad thing but bare with me..

Right I work in this restaurant and all tips go into this 1 jar but instead of them getting shared out they go towards the business' profits. Today I was given a £1 tip so thought it can't harm to pocket just this one, its only a pound? Problem is I get the feeling the boss seen me do this as he mumbled something to me and then 2 minutes later another lad came upto me asking how much this table had given as a tip.. Problem is now I feel horribly guilty and very worried that I'm going to lose my job, all for £1!! As selfish as this might sound has anyone got any ideas for me to help forget about this? And any other thoughts really?

ReputationRep:
    Don't beat yourself up about it - it's only £1 and it wont make much difference to the restaurant, just don't make a habit of it though if you want to keep your job!
    They probably just don't like the fact that you hid something and lied.

ReputationRep:
    Lie your face off...

You "forgot".

Honesty is the best policy...

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it again and you'll be fine. If you were manager of a restauraunt and saw somebody pocketing one pound, it makes you think how many pounds has that particular employee has taken rather than a one off treat.

ReputationRep:
    Your boss is a ******* - allow sharing tips. When I did barwork, it was the tips which meant I wasn't out of pocket paying the tube fair there.

That's really low tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Are they legally aloud to take tips towards their profits?

I would find out, since if not then you really can argue back. I thought that most places put all the tips in a big jar, and split it between all staff members.

ReputationRep:
    Cheeky *******s!

I'd steal as much as I can from them.

Thank you, you're very nice people and have actually made me feel a bit better already

Still absoloutly dreading going back into work though!

ReputationRep:
    well when the people are leaving tips they're thinking that you're getting them, what the boss is doing is wrong imo

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, he may assume you have done it before with bigger tips..

ReputationRep:
    the establishment doesn't take your tips. What is this?

ReputationRep:
    thats not fair, why the hell cant you share the tips? Good on ya for taking the £1 :p:,but try not to do it again then just in case you get told off

ReputationRep:
    its £1....

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell every table what happens to that tip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    Are they legally aloud to take tips towards their profits?

I would find out, since if not then you really can argue back. I thought that most places put all the tips in a big jar, and split it between all staff members.
    I wouldn't have thought so - unless there's some sort of "contract" to overcome this (following issue), I'm pretty sure it's theft.

The worst I've heard about, which was on Breakfast the other day, is businesses using tips to make up employees' minimum wages, but that case was different since the workers were still getting the money!

OP, it might be worth checking with Citizens' Advice (assuming that, as strawberry says, everything is as you claim). They'll probably have a better idea.

I probably shouldn't be this worried about it but like others have said he could assume I've taken more before. This is a horrible feeling, not sure if it's guilt or just that I'm scared of them confronting me.

The tip thing did seem strange when I joined up but just accepted it in the end. Ahh bad times!

Oh and don't think I could claim anything as it's really casual part time work, cash in hand type of job..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh and don't think I could claim anything as it's really casual part time work, cash in hand type of job..
    Unless you're an illegal immigrant or you're involved in really dodgy dealings, I'm pretty sure you'll still have some legal rights.

However, the fact that you knew about this system before you agreed to take the job might negate any criminal liability (although I'm not sure if this is the norm).

How much are you paid per hour, and what do you mean by "casual"? Waiting tables is waiting tables, isn't it? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    tell your boss the bill was £30, there were three people and each gave you £10, but then you realized that it was actually £25 because they ended up not wanting another bottle of wine, so you have an extra £5. but because you can't divide this by three and nobody wants small change you pocketed £2 and gave them £1 each. so they they all got £9 back that means they paid £27 (9+9+9) and you have £2 in your pocket so altogether there's £29 and the £1 that you were supposed to put in the jar magically disappeared.

Nope not a illegal immigrant. Just £5 an hour waiting tables, theres nothing really dodgy about it, just worried that I'm not sure if getting cash in hand is illegal or not, but again it's not my choice, I'd prefer it going stright into my bank.

I like the idea winter but it does confuse me slightly, gonna have to read over it again :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2009
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.