Turn on thread page Beta

Basically my lower jaw is behind my upper jaw...however I always bring my lower jaw forward to make them meet as it looks better, facially..but to make them meet, my bottom row of teeth overlap the top row of teeth...also my bottom row of teeth is slightly crooked as theres no space due to new wisdom teeth coming through...

So i was thinking of getting jaw surgery when im older..but right now my main concern is that if i get jaw surgery, wen i pull my lower jaw forward, my bottom row of teeth overlap the top row of teeth..so could dentists/orthodontists take out 3 or 4 bottom teeth and put in smaller sized teeth to make sure both rows of teeth meet properly without any overlapping when i get jaw surgery?

Also i had braces when i was 17, but because of new wisdom teeth and my orthodontist finishing me early, my bottom row of teeth are now crooked, my upper teeth is ok...will i still be eligible for free treatment, cos this is really affecting me.

ReputationRep:
    you spend far too much time looking at your teeth.

go clubbing. forget it all.

(Original post by LouKat)
    you spend far too much time looking at your teeth.

go clubbing. forget it all.
    Im sorry but its really affecting my confidence..im not that bad looking, put pulling my lower jaw forward gives me a more defined jaw...

ReputationRep:
    awk now i feel bad ...

go to your orthodentist.

explain all this to him.

you should still be able to get it done free again if your feeling like this?

x

(Original post by LouKat)
    awk now i feel bad ...

go to your orthodentist.

explain all this to him.

you should still be able to get it done free again if your feeling like this?

x
    Its okay but yeah I do spend too long looking at them, but it affects the way i talk to people, always think about it...Are you sure I can get it for free? Anyone else confirm this..Im 19 now but had braces before when I was 16 17..but after finishing treatment, ive been wearing retainers all the time, but I couldnt visit appointments with orthodontist because I went holiday for a year..so I went to make a new one and they said they couldnt see me anymore, because I didnt go for a year

ReputationRep:
    you have an overbite, and you do exactly what i do to make it less noticeable. my orthodontist said that he's gonna put on a brace on which while line my bottom jaw up with my top one, which could take about 9 months. just ask about dental malocclusion, although now that you're 19 you might not be able to get it for free... maybe you can if you explain that you weren't happy with the results of previous orthodontics? good luck anyway dude

ReputationRep:
    I have this too, it's called an overbite (if your bottom jaw is too far back) or an overjet (if your top jaw is too far forward). In my case I have a 2mm overbite which is small enough to be corrected by braces. Unfortunately if it's much bigger than that they have to do crazy things like jaw surgery AND braces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    I have this too, it's called an overbite (if your bottom jaw is too far back) or an overjet (if your top jaw is too far forward). In my case I have a 2mm overbite which is small enough to be corrected by braces. Unfortunately if it's much bigger than that they have to do crazy things like jaw surgery AND braces.
    not what i've been told, my bottom teeth touch the roof of my mouth which is what my orthodontist called trauma to the pallet, he's said it's correctable with braces which will move my teeth into line hence bringing the jaw forward. i cant see how it could be done any other way really because they wouldnt be able to fit a regular brace on teeth with a prominent overbite as obviously it wouldnt sit well

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.