Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    last edited

ReputationRep:
    You'd be better off just getting it from someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python38)
    I emailed her the guides to writing a reference and everything; I also let her read my PS before writing my reference. When I read it, it just seemed to be re-iterating a lot of what I said in my PS (not directly, of course).

I mean, for example, part of my PS talks about my hobbies, and some of the reference repeats that in almost the exact same way. Another part of the PS says something about my stay in Malaysia, and the reference also mentions something about how experiencing various cultures has made me this and that. Even the endings sound pretty similiar.

She hasn't taught me for very long (2 months), so the reference is kind of short anyway... but surely it's not just meant to repeat part of the PS in different language? (Or am I not allowed to ask my referee to change any parts of my reference?)

I'm not being ungrateful, I do appreciate what she did for me (I have no-one else to ask for a reference, seeing as I'm home-schooled.) I'm just worried that half the reference sounds like an unjustified copy of my PS.
    Does your referee have a copy of the UCAS guidance for referees? It's on their website, under Apply.

ReputationRep:
    I did send her a link, yes. I have to send off the reference tomorrow (I'm sending off the COAF by post, since I'm overseas) so, if I ask her to edit it, I will have to do so quickly.

Do you think a reference like that is going to hurt my app? It's quite short already, and, though she said some things about what kind of student I was, some of it was just rephrasing my PS. I don't know what admissions tutors are going to make of that - but I don't think she's known me long enough to write a really long reference (and she only taught me one subject, anyway.)
    I have no idea what if any difference it will make. The most important thing will be the academic strength of it, which will not just come from the reference.

ReputationRep:
    She did say some things about my qualities as a student, so I guess I could email her now and ask her to delete the rest. It's just going to be very short.

Do most people ask their referees to read their personal statements before writing their references? Some people say it's meant to "back up" some of the claims made in the PS, but this just seems to be repeating some stuff. I mean, I could PM you the reference and the current version of my PS if you want to see how similiar they seem.

(Sorry, I'm probably sounding a bit fussy here.)
    I'd just leave it alone. If she's seen the advice from UCAS, then you must let her do what you've asked her to. It is usual for the referee to read the PS first, and it's not that unhelpful to have things in your PS confirmed in your reference. Please don't send me anything by PM - even if I thought changes could be made it would be completely inappropriate of me to say so!

ReputationRep:
    I emailed her the guides to writing a reference and everything; I also let her read my PS before writing my reference. When I read it, it just seemed to be re-iterating a lot of what I said in my PS (not directly, of course).

I mean, for example, part of my PS talks about my hobbies, and some of the reference repeats that in almost the exact same way. Another part of the PS says something about my stay in Malaysia, and the reference also mentions something about how experiencing various cultures has made me this and that. Even the endings sound pretty similiar.

She hasn't taught me for very long (2 months), so the reference is kind of short anyway... but surely it's not just meant to repeat part of the PS in different language? (Or am I not allowed to ask my referee to change any parts of my reference?)

I'm not being ungrateful, I do appreciate what she did for me (I have no-one else to ask for a reference, seeing as I'm home-schooled.) I'm just worried that half the reference sounds like an unjustified copy of my PS.
    I think you should talk to your referee. At the end of the day, it's your future.

Try to be precise when suggesting changes.

ReputationRep:
    OK, I guess I'll just have to concentrate on making my PS good. Thanks for your advice.

Just one more question - this is going to sound really silly, but should I rewrite the parts of my PS that the reference sounds similiar to (like the ending?)
    You could if it made you feel better!

ReputationRep:
    I have written references all my professional life. If anyone had asked me to do what you are suggesting I would have declined to even write a reference for them.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, alright.
    Count yourself lucky. At least you get to see your reference. Some of us don't.

ReputationRep:
    Just edit it yourself, no one will know! Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Just edit it yourself, no one will know! Seriously.
    Try not to be stupid. Of course it will get picked up if the OP changes the reference as provided by her referee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Try not to be stupid. Of course it will get picked up if the OP changes the reference as provided by her referee.
    Didn't with me. :dontknow: :ninja:

Of course, if you're applying through the school/college and not as an individual then there's more likelihood that it may.

ReputationRep:
    OP, isn't there another teacher you could ask to write you a reference? I'm getting my reference sorted as well and it's very stressful.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't with me.

Of course, if you're applying through the school/college and not as an individual then there's more likelihood that it may.
    If she were applying through a centre she'd have no opportunity to get anywhere near the reference anyway. When you apply as an individual, unis do check that the referee wrote what it is claimed they did. You might not have been aware that this happens, but it does. Otherwise people applying individually would just write whatever they chose and sign it off as their referee's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    If she were applying through a centre she'd have no opportunity to get anywhere near the reference anyway. When you apply as an individual, unis do check that the referee wrote what it is claimed they did. You might not have been aware that this happens, but it does. Otherwise people applying individually would just write whatever they chose and sign it off as their referee's.
    Well, there's a very good trick (not requiring a great deal of thought) that stops them from being able to do that when applying as an individual, but I won't mention what I did any more as I'd rather shy away from my culpability!

ReputationRep:
    Well, there's a very good trick (not requiring a great deal of thought) that stops them from being able to do that when applying as an individual, but I won't mention what I did any more as I'd rather shy away from my culpability!
    Yes, I am sure you would. Personally, I'd rather have a clear conscience in the first place, and I'd certainly recommend that to others.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.