Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Well if nothing else, it will get you used to the style of degree level exams. No harm in it, surely?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    From my siblings experience, past papers can get you an idea of the format / style of questions but there is less predictability about what will come up than with A-level. Also, as course lecturers can change from year to year (and semester to semester) what they decide they want on the exam can mean that past years papers have little value. It probably depends on the university you're at but my siblings don't have any meaningful breakdown of the mark schemes in use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    but does it help a lot, like at A-level? I mean with past papers at A-level, all the questions were similar in every one so you know what could come up, however at degree level, there is so much to learn, that the past papers may have different questions all the time in each past paper, with no similarity; you might not know what could be asked or could come up. Also like A-level it isn't a memory game, as the questions are much more open ended. So I'm saying are past papers really that significant at degree level, like they were at A-level, does it help to boost your grade by a lot?
    Eh, I guess it depends on the exam. I found in my degree maths exams, the questions were basically the same year after year (Nottingham Uni). But it could quite easily be different for any other subject.

I'd say it'd be useful to have a look through, but I wouldn't try to memorise them like A-level unless you see repeated questions throughout the years. Blah.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth practicing them. But you certainly can't revise by them.

ReputationRep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you can't revise by them, what is the point of practing them?

Do you mean just practice them, just because they could be challenging questions like doing hard textbook questions?
    Simply getting used to writing your answers within a set timeframe will help. The questions will vary, of course, but the style of the exam usually won't.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't revise by them, what is the point of practing them?

Do you mean just practice them, just because they could be challenging questions like doing hard textbook questions?
    Practice as in gain ability in forming the structure and argument, as well as the ability to time it correctly.

You can't just print off all your past papers and memorise the answers like you can at A-level. In fact, last year I wasn't given any past papers to look at.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    You didn't do any past papers last year? So how did you prepare/revise for your exams?
    By reading a lot and making sure I knew my stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have any past papers when I was an undergrad. I found practising timing and going over topics that are likely to be asked useful revision for the exams I took.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    While we get past papers, we don't get answers or mark-schemes. Additionally, what I found odd is that apparently only certain questions on the exam paper are marked and counted while we have to answer pretty much every question.

ReputationRep:
    nowhere near as helpful as A level

ReputationRep:
    we have access to past papers, but no mark schemes, and I don't find them useful, I just go through notes. Questions are so different year on year and it's just not great preparation. Much more important is reading around it so you have extra material for your answers.

ReputationRep:
    Essay-based exams can't really be practiced, only managing to write what you need to in the time can. For something like maths, past papers can be more useful.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    what about something like biology let say?
    I've never studied biology so I can't really comment. Past papers are useful for knowing exactly what an exam is going to ask you to do in terms of essay writing, answering questions, etc.

ReputationRep:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.