The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Tsoert
Given where aneurysms are likely to occur, is that ever likely to happen?

Well, exactly. I just didn't feel like giving an anatomy lesson to the pre-pre-freshers. :o:
Reply 121
Helenia
Well, exactly. I just didn't feel like giving an anatomy lesson to the pre-pre-freshers. :o:

Well I can safely say, as a 4th year my anatomy aint something to write home about.
Magnanimity
I'll give you a more neutral reason why dentists earn more.

2) Dentists are responsible for decontamination of their instruments. This includes the design, purchase, maintenance and operation of their local decontamination unit. Doctors have no responsibility for this (normally everything is single use OR carted away to a central sterilization department)

This is NOT a doctors vs dentists thing. The jobs could not be more different. And that's why they're paid differently, because they aren't different. Any budding young doctors should realise that you need dentists to sign off that patients are ok to go ahead with treatments such as chemo or bisphosphonates. And any young dentists should realise they need doctors to check INRs, liver function etc to go ahead with extractions and many other areas. You're both healthcare professionals, and you both need each other, no one 'works harder' than the other.

It's kinda related - but its probs good to note that everything in dentistry is freakin expensive!
I've already had a talking to for spilling like a £300 worth of adhesive and scuffing the "good handpieces". I stared death in the face that day.
Tsoert
Given where aneurysms are likely to occur, is that ever likely to happen?

If you think about it physiologically:

Blood vessels near to each other are going to have similar pressures, so one can't compress another.

Plus, anatomically, major blood vessels are rarely very close together, other than at points of bifurcation, where they're diverging rather than running in parallel.
Reply 124
Huw Davies
If you think about it physiologically:

Blood vessels near to each other are going to have similar pressures, so one can't compress another.

Plus, anatomically, major blood vessels are rarely very close together, other than at points of bifurcation, where they're diverging rather than running in parallel.
Blood vessels often run parallel - think AV fistulae.
Renal
Blood vessels often run parallel - think AV fistulae.

:o:

True. Meant arteries throughout. Poor neglected veins...
Reply 126
It really doesn't matter to be honest.

In either profession, earnings are almost definitely going to be higher than most other professions.

Also, if you're going into these professions with the MAIN reason being the money, then forget it. You can earn much, much more in the Worlds Financial Centre (London) than in a surgery or hospital.

Moreover, just because Doctors may be paid a bit more than dentists, consider that Doctors are required on weekends and evenings, dentists aren't. Is it worth the extra pay?

If indeed Dentists do earn more than Doctors, which is highly likely, then it's because dentists may well do veneers, whitening and crown treatment, not life saving practice. Thus, you may go to the dentist because you want to, but you only go to a doctor if you have to.

This means that because dentists work in private, and as they provide an almost luxury service (e.g. white teeth), they can earn more than an NHS doctor. The average consumer will spend a lot more on luxuries than the government will on doctors.

Lastly, Dental work is often a lot more practical than the average work of a doctor, and far less glamorous- which might explain why Medical Schools ask for much higher grades.

Hope that helps

:smile:

(As far as I'm concerned, I'd prefer dentistry. Not only am I interested in oral anatomy, I would like to stay with office hours, not meet sick people daily and have a much less stressful life in the future:yes:)
Reply 127
supply and demand?
lobby26
Iwhich might explain why Medical Schools ask for much higher grades.

Since when? :lolwut:

Latest

Trending

Trending